Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006

Tried to ride Brown's Camp on Friday...

Since the sunny weather held out all week, I just had to see if I could get in a ride at Brown's Camp. The highway was completely clear of snow and dry so I thought maybe I had a chance for a decent ride. I have successfully ridden in snow there before, but today it was impossible. The 6" to 12" of snow was mostly iced over and frozen. Hikers had been up the trail and their footprints left deep craters that just devoured my front tire. I hiked about halfway up the first portion of the trail and decided to just give up. I headed down to Wilson River Trail and as usual, this trail was in great condition due to it's lower elevation and southerly exposure. I did an out and back from the Forestry Center. It's a very easy ride, but at least I was on the bike. A couple pictures:

Brown's Camp Parking Lot

Start of Brown's Camp trail

Wilson River

Look at the time!
    you should've asked me i was there on thursday afternoon.. ended up riding some of the 4x4 trails (nobody else was out there) before i gave up.. it will take a while for all that snow to melt.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

highly visible
    Trail conditions like that are what studded tires are made for!
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Obviously Single

Wrt?

If you drive about 10 miles farther, to the Visitor's Center, the trails are usually snowless or have very little snow. I rode there 2 weeks ago when Historic Hiking Trail was under about 3 inches of snow.

If you don't know the trail, I'd be glad to show it to you next weekend -- I need to get in shape for the Harmonic ConvergenSS!
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Talk to me Goose.
    I miss Brown's Camp. *sheds a tear*

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

New question here. Updated Conditions

Does anyone know what the current conditions are?? (February 20th) because sunday is supposed to be pretty nice and i just changed my oil and actually spent a lot of time cleaning and maintaining my bike.

Obviously Single

Still not good

Quote Originally Posted by rdeblue1
    Does anyone know what the current conditions are?? (February 20th) because sunday is supposed to be pretty nice and i just changed my oil and actually spent a lot of time cleaning and maintaining my bike.
    I drove past there Sunday, and it still looked quite snowy. And until all the snow is long gone, it'll be muddy.

Once some of the snow melts, try Gales Creek/Story Burn, or.

Almost all of the Wilson River Trail seems to be snow-free, though I don't know how many tree's are down on the East end of the trail.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I appreciate the feedback, i'll probably wait until another week of some warmer weather rolls through there, i'm just itchin to get back out there! if you don't mind me asking, why do you prefer mountain bikes over dirt bikes? the excersize? cause i get quite the workout.