mtbr member
    May 2012

Trails near Salem

Howdy,
    So I'm looking for some trails near Salem to go riding. Preferably some freeride type trails. Anyone know any good ones close by? Wasn't a big fan of Silver Falls last time I was there, but maybe I couldn't find the good trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Black rock. Freeride area in falls city that will leave you grinning for days. Not too far from salem at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickBerg View Post
    Howdy,
    So I'm looking for some trails near Salem to go riding. Preferably some freeride type trails. Anyone know any good ones close by? Wasn't a big fan of Silver Falls last time I was there, but maybe I couldn't find the good trails
    There isn't any freeride trials at silver falls but there is lots of good riding. Shelburg Falls has some freeride areas, not as well maintained as Black Rock, along with some other fun stuff. A good ride is from silver falls over to shelburg falls. There is also some nice trails by Dallas, no free ride stuff but plenty of fun/fast down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaewannabe View Post
    There is also some nice trails by Dallas, no free ride stuff but plenty of fun/fast down.
    where are these trails ?
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I second that.
    When I think of Dallas I think of Black Rock.

mtbr member
    the dallas trails are up off rob mill road and the road that go to the reservoir. The best way to ride those trails for the first time is to go with somebody who knows them. I'm always willing to go ride and show them to people. You can ride from Black Rock to the dallas area trails via one of the gravel roads.

mtbr member
    the dallas trails are up off rob mill road and the road that go to the reservoir. The best way to ride those trails for the first time is to go with somebody who knows them. I'm always willing to go ride and show them to people. You can ride from Black Rock to the dallas area trails via one of the gravel roads.
    True, but it's actually a long ways from one to the other. There used to be a decent map floating around the internet of the Dallas trail system but it's very out of date now.

Cholla Magnent
    I am moving to Salem this summer and instead of asking all you nice folk to list trails do you know of any good web sites I could check out to find trails in the area? Teach a man to fish and all that... .
    Cholla Magnet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rzar View Post
    I am moving to Salem this summer and instead of asking all you nice folk to list trails do you know of any good web sites I could check out to find trails in the area? Teach a man to fish and all that... .
    I don't know of any web site that lists the local trails around Salem, here is where some of us post our rides, local and other areas:

Salem Oregon Mountain Bike Association(SOMBA) (Salem, OR) - Meetup

Your post made me think that I need to have a way on that site where there are trail descriptions and directions. I will work on that and try to at least get some basic info about local trails available on there.

Cholla Magnent
    I don't know of any web site that lists the local trails around Salem, here is where some of us post our rides, local and other areas:

Salem Oregon Mountain Bike Association(SOMBA) (Salem, OR) - Meetup

Your post made me think that I need to have a way on that site where there are trail descriptions and directions. I will work on that and try to at least get some basic info about local trails available on there.
    Thanks for the link! Can't wait to ride with you all. Moving from Southern Arizona and I was thinking of something like this:
    | Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists

They list the local trails, how to get there and rate them based on fitness level and technical ability.

Will have to change my sig from Choilla Magnet to Mud Magnet
    Cholla Magnet

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If you're up for a ride sometime soon I'd love to tag along. I rode off of Rob Mill today and got a bit lost

I just joined that meetup group too and posted a tentative ride out there if anybody is interested.