mtbr member

trails locating help - please.

Sup fellas. coming back to this again. its looking like my plan to move to Oregon will be in the greater Portland area. ive attached a google map link with a couple Honda dealers on it as well as an rei, 24 hour fitness. these are things i NEED. the dealer will be the job, so required.

im looking for info to help me locate mountain bike and hiking trails. also, based on the 2 dealers, which would you prefer to live closer to? one is further east than the other. is it better to live nearer to the coast, or the hills? being from Denver, i live within 20 minutes of the foothills, so i tend to like wooded areas.

thank you for any help you can offer.

also, the better the school system, the better the area!

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=R...=h&mra=pr&z=11
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

Tactical Nightmare
    One of the best tools that I have used for trail finding and exploring is:
    OpenCycleMap.org - the OpenStreetMap Cycle Map

Just enter in the zip code of the area you are going to live and do some exploring for trails near by. It is a great tool to find new trails for sure, and is really detailed too.

Another option for you, if you have a smart phone, is to try the Strava app. Sure, this is the race/ride recording app that creates madman from your average MTBer, but it has a great explore feature too, that will show a lot of the trails in a given area.

Sorry I can't help specifically in that area, but I thought I would mention these resources to do some exploring on your own. Good luck!
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Where to live

I just moved from Boise to Portland and haven't done much riding since I moved, but I have ridden most of the major areas. I would say that living further west would be better for food, enertainment, breweries, and such. The difference in distance to riding between the two dealerships is not that great, although B is closer to Sandy and Hood River/Syncline. A is closer to the coastal trails and getting to Black Rock. I hear that there is great riding just across the river in Washington, but haven't ridden there yet.

For me it was a decision between access to what Portland had to offer as a city and being a little closer to riding. I chose great food and breweries, and a little longer drive to the trails.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptikl-jc View Post
    For me it was a decision between access to what Portland had to offer as a city and being a little closer to riding. I chose great food and breweries, and a little longer drive to the trails.
    +1

No matter where you live, you'll have to drive to ride, so you may as well live somewhere that is convenient for everything else.

I noticed there's no Beaverton Honda on there... If I was looking for a dealer, that's where I'd work. That way you could live in NW, close to Forest Park for the afternoon stress burnoff laps and even ride to work or take the max. Or close in eastside or NE and you'll be midpoint between Beaverton and Tonkin honda's. More bars, pubs, carts, shops to shake a stick at over there...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    A and B) East side - closer to Hood River, Cascade Locks, Sandy Ridge, Syncline, Camas has a great shop, Round Lake in Camas, then more into Washington for Cold Creek, Thrillium, Tarbell Trail, 3 Corner Rock, Syncline, North to St Helens, and Siouxon - that'll get you started. Oh and Lumberyard for those real wet days

D) Brown's Camp, Scappoose, Forest Park, Hagg Lake, Stub Stewart State Park - sorry - don't know what else.

I'm in Battle Ground so I ride lots of the areas listed in the A and B but am always expanding my riding locations

Ed