Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

trails in hood river/white salmon area

I recently moved to arlington temporarily for a job and am looking for trails to ride in the hood river/white salmon area. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    HR-- Post Canyon, Whoopde, 44Rd trails in the Summer, (Deschutes River Trail -- flat but close to you), Sandy Ridge 90 minutes away
    WS-- Hospital Hill, Syncline, Buck Cr, Nester, Falls Cr, Columbia Hills

FKA Malibu412
    Eagle Caves in the Dalles.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Lots and lots. I suggest checking out the Adventure Maps map for the area (but ignore the Post Canyon section of the map, because it's not so good):

Hood River Oregon Trail Adventure Map and Guide- Mountain Biking, Hiking, Nordic Skiing

For Post Canyon, if you sign up for the email list at HRATS they will send you a link to the most up to date email of the Post trail system. It is a really good map and very accurate.

Hood River Area Trail Stewards (HRATS) | an International Mountain Biking Association Chapter

I just wanna ride my bike
    I've been to Hood River a few times in past (mid-May usually) and love the variety of trails. Can anyone provide a hint as to when higher elevation trails may open this year such as Surveyor's/Dog River? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH View Post
    Can anyone provide a hint as to when higher elevation trails may open this year such as Surveyor's/Dog River? Thanks!
    Hmmm. ttrd is the expert here, but I am guessing that the annual blowdown will be cleared sometime around late May this year. Not sure when the snow stopped last year, but I think more is on the way for this weekend. Last spring was a lot warmer too. So, after the snow melts and the blowdown is cleared, I would guess late May. Tim?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Arlington? Do NOT miss the opportunity to ride the Echo trails which are not that far east of you. Fantastic xc stuff, with no people.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I agree about the Echo trail system. Just sheep, sheep dogs, and snakes along that fantastic trail system. Hood River trails can be soggy due to the wet winters...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Hmmm. ttrd is the expert here, but I am guessing that the annual blowdown will be cleared sometime around late May this year. Not sure when the snow stopped last year, but I think more is on the way for this weekend. Last spring was a lot warmer too. So, after the snow melts and the blowdown is cleared, I would guess late May.
    I would imagine that much of Surveyors is near rideable now since there wasn't much of a lower elevation snowpack at all this year and mild/warm temps a few weeks ago aided to the early melt. I would bet (could be totally wrong) right now you can ride from the bottom past gibson and probably get within a mile or two of the 44rd. The main problem would be blowdown. But this ridge usually has far suprisingly less blowdown than the surrounding area. I will post more when I have first hand knowledge.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Eagle Caves in the Dalles.
    Isn't this closed to bikes right now...?
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Any recent updates on the status of Surveyor's Ridge/Dog River or any of the higher up trails (Knebal, 8 Mile) ? I'm deciding whether Hood River will be the place I go two weeks from now. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Bet it will be just fine in two weeks. I am going to ride Surveyors from the north end this weekend and will report back. I know there was a work party out there a couple weeks ago clearing blow-down. I would bet the 44RD stuff is clear of snow (or at least will be in 2 weeks), but not sure about blow down. No one I know locally has been up there yet this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Bet it will be just fine in two weeks. I am going to ride Surveyors from the north end this weekend and will report back.
    Look forward to your TR! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Any recent updates on the status of Surveyor's Ridge/Dog River or any of the higher up trails (Knebal, 8 Mile) ? I'm deciding whether Hood River will be the place I go two weeks from now. Thanks!
    dog was dry and dusty. Mid summer conditions. We were leaving 30sec gaps to see. People were dropping into dog from up on 8mile so i am sure it is good to go. We really need some rain or were in for a rough fire year. It was way too dry for early may.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    dog was dry and dusty. Mid summer conditions. We were leaving 30sec gaps to see. People were dropping into dog from up on 8mile so i am sure it is good to go. We really need some rain or were in for a rough fire year. It was way too dry for early may.
    The funny part part is that the connector that is not part of the "race" is in great shape... more pine needles than you can imagine. Over sessioned the first week of May. That is too bad.
    Last edited by poppa#1; 05-06-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    eh, i wouldnt say over sessioned for being this early, just over sessioned as a whole with little maintenance done over the last year. I rode it in mid nov when it was frozen and it was in pretty much the same condition. Corners were all haggard pretty much the same. Minus the dust bowl.
    Who does trail work / sets it up out there? hrats? I wouldnt mind going out and helping as i really enjoy that trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    eh, i wouldnt say over sessioned for being this early, just over sessioned as a whole with little maintenance done over the last year. I rode it in mid nov when it was frozen and it was in pretty much the same condition. Corners were all haggard pretty much the same. Minus the dust bowl.
    Who does trail work / sets it up out there? hrats? I wouldnt mind going out and helping as i really enjoy that trail.
    I will agree about the November conditions, but why is the short connector layered in pine needles and untracked? Because everyone "sessioning" it before this weekend has skipped it. Rain would be the biggest help for sure. Personally I believe that any promoter running a dh race in the forest should leave it in better shape than they "found" it. This is NEVER the case. A few years back the promoter did a great job with the last two switchbacks, but since then it has been hung up and left for dead. This is a great trail that gets too much traffic due to the ease of access. Oh well, it's not going to rain on the Dog anytime soon.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Isn't this closed to bikes right now...?
    No. Just keeping things a little quieter by closing the FB page and not promoting the system. Still open to ride so shhhhhhh....
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

ronbo613
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    No. Just keeping things a little quieter by closing the FB page and not promoting the system. Still open to ride so shhhhhhh....
    There is inadequate signage to indicate private property, there are conflicts with property owners. Not a lot of parking and no facilities.

I think this trail report has confirmed where I'm going in a week and half
    Hood River Mountain Biking Trail Conditions | The Gorge is my Gym

Question: which way has a better climb and greater fun factor (i.e. descent) - ride up Dog, then Surveyors and down Oakridge or up Oakridge - Surveyor's - down Dog?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Question: which way has a better climb and greater fun factor (i.e. descent) - ride up Dog, then Surveyors and down Oakridge or up Oakridge - Surveyor's - down Dog?
    My preference is to climb up Dog and descend Oakridge.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xDennisLuix View Post
    My preference is to climb up Dog and descend Oakridge.
    I like to ride up the Dog, out Surveyors about 11 miles to the viewpoint on the left (down a short spur to the west), the retrace my steps.

I have little love for Oakridge in either direction.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    I'm not a huge fan of Surveyors Ridge, I'd much rather climb Dog River then cross FR44 and continue up Cooks Meadow. Unfortunately, there's not much of a destination at the top of Cooks Meadow, so I either turn around here or continue up the road to High Prairie and ride the trails accessed from the area.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Climbing Oakridge is not fun. Dog River is my preference. Plus, you can skip the dh section and go up the road if you are tired of the granny gear. I actually enjoy the Oakridge descent, but I am not pushing it either. Great views on Surveyors!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast