Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Schlobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3

    trails in hood river/white salmon area

    I recently moved to arlington temporarily for a job and am looking for trails to ride in the hood river/white salmon area. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ttrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    389
    HR-- Post Canyon, Whoopde, 44Rd trails in the Summer, (Deschutes River Trail -- flat but close to you), Sandy Ridge 90 minutes away
    WS-- Hospital Hill, Syncline, Buck Cr, Nester, Falls Cr, Columbia Hills

  3. #3
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,876
    Eagle Caves in the Dalles.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    301
    Lots and lots. I suggest checking out the Adventure Maps map for the area (but ignore the Post Canyon section of the map, because it's not so good):

    Hood River Oregon Trail Adventure Map and Guide- Mountain Biking, Hiking, Nordic Skiing

    For Post Canyon, if you sign up for the email list at HRATS they will send you a link to the most up to date email of the Post trail system. It is a really good map and very accurate.

    Hood River Area Trail Stewards (HRATS) | an International Mountain Biking Association Chapter

  5. #5
    I just wanna ride my bike
    Reputation: TheotherH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    843
    I've been to Hood River a few times in past (mid-May usually) and love the variety of trails. Can anyone provide a hint as to when higher elevation trails may open this year such as Surveyor's/Dog River? Thanks!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH View Post
    Can anyone provide a hint as to when higher elevation trails may open this year such as Surveyor's/Dog River? Thanks!
    Hmmm. ttrd is the expert here, but I am guessing that the annual blowdown will be cleared sometime around late May this year. Not sure when the snow stopped last year, but I think more is on the way for this weekend. Last spring was a lot warmer too. So, after the snow melts and the blowdown is cleared, I would guess late May. Tim?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,384
    Arlington? Do NOT miss the opportunity to ride the Echo trails which are not that far east of you. Fantastic xc stuff, with no people.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  8. #8
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,730
    I agree about the Echo trail system. Just sheep, sheep dogs, and snakes along that fantastic trail system. Hood River trails can be soggy due to the wet winters...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ttrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Hmmm. ttrd is the expert here, but I am guessing that the annual blowdown will be cleared sometime around late May this year. Not sure when the snow stopped last year, but I think more is on the way for this weekend. Last spring was a lot warmer too. So, after the snow melts and the blowdown is cleared, I would guess late May.
    I would imagine that much of Surveyors is near rideable now since there wasn't much of a lower elevation snowpack at all this year and mild/warm temps a few weeks ago aided to the early melt. I would bet (could be totally wrong) right now you can ride from the bottom past gibson and probably get within a mile or two of the 44rd. The main problem would be blowdown. But this ridge usually has far suprisingly less blowdown than the surrounding area. I will post more when I have first hand knowledge.

  10. #10
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Eagle Caves in the Dalles.
    Isn't this closed to bikes right now...?
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  11. #11
    I just wanna ride my bike
    Reputation: TheotherH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    843
    Any recent updates on the status of Surveyor's Ridge/Dog River or any of the higher up trails (Knebal, 8 Mile) ? I'm deciding whether Hood River will be the place I go two weeks from now. Thanks!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    301
    Bet it will be just fine in two weeks. I am going to ride Surveyors from the north end this weekend and will report back. I know there was a work party out there a couple weeks ago clearing blow-down. I would bet the 44RD stuff is clear of snow (or at least will be in 2 weeks), but not sure about blow down. No one I know locally has been up there yet this year.

  13. #13
    I just wanna ride my bike
    Reputation: TheotherH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Bet it will be just fine in two weeks. I am going to ride Surveyors from the north end this weekend and will report back.
    Look forward to your TR! Thanks!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH View Post
    Any recent updates on the status of Surveyor's Ridge/Dog River or any of the higher up trails (Knebal, 8 Mile) ? I'm deciding whether Hood River will be the place I go two weeks from now. Thanks!
    dog was dry and dusty. Mid summer conditions. We were leaving 30sec gaps to see. People were dropping into dog from up on 8mile so i am sure it is good to go. We really need some rain or were in for a rough fire year. It was way too dry for early may.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    dog was dry and dusty. Mid summer conditions. We were leaving 30sec gaps to see. People were dropping into dog from up on 8mile so i am sure it is good to go. We really need some rain or were in for a rough fire year. It was way too dry for early may.
    The funny part part is that the connector that is not part of the "race" is in great shape... more pine needles than you can imagine. Over sessioned the first week of May. That is too bad.
    Last edited by poppa#1; 05-06-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    323
    eh, i wouldnt say over sessioned for being this early, just over sessioned as a whole with little maintenance done over the last year. I rode it in mid nov when it was frozen and it was in pretty much the same condition. Corners were all haggard pretty much the same. Minus the dust bowl.
    Who does trail work / sets it up out there? hrats? I wouldnt mind going out and helping as i really enjoy that trail.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    eh, i wouldnt say over sessioned for being this early, just over sessioned as a whole with little maintenance done over the last year. I rode it in mid nov when it was frozen and it was in pretty much the same condition. Corners were all haggard pretty much the same. Minus the dust bowl.
    Who does trail work / sets it up out there? hrats? I wouldnt mind going out and helping as i really enjoy that trail.
    I will agree about the November conditions, but why is the short connector layered in pine needles and untracked? Because everyone "sessioning" it before this weekend has skipped it. Rain would be the biggest help for sure. Personally I believe that any promoter running a dh race in the forest should leave it in better shape than they "found" it. This is NEVER the case. A few years back the promoter did a great job with the last two switchbacks, but since then it has been hung up and left for dead. This is a great trail that gets too much traffic due to the ease of access. Oh well, it's not going to rain on the Dog anytime soon.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  18. #18
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,876
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Isn't this closed to bikes right now...?
    No. Just keeping things a little quieter by closing the FB page and not promoting the system. Still open to ride so shhhhhhh....
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  19. #19
    ronbo613
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    No. Just keeping things a little quieter by closing the FB page and not promoting the system. Still open to ride so shhhhhhh....
    There is inadequate signage to indicate private property, there are conflicts with property owners. Not a lot of parking and no facilities.

  20. #20
    I just wanna ride my bike
    Reputation: TheotherH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    843
    I think this trail report has confirmed where I'm going in a week and half
    Hood River Mountain Biking Trail Conditions | The Gorge is my Gym

  21. #21
    I just wanna ride my bike
    Reputation: TheotherH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    843
    Question: which way has a better climb and greater fun factor (i.e. descent) - ride up Dog, then Surveyors and down Oakridge or up Oakridge - Surveyor's - down Dog?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH View Post
    Question: which way has a better climb and greater fun factor (i.e. descent) - ride up Dog, then Surveyors and down Oakridge or up Oakridge - Surveyor's - down Dog?
    My preference is to climb up Dog and descend Oakridge.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,384
    Quote Originally Posted by xDennisLuix View Post
    My preference is to climb up Dog and descend Oakridge.
    I like to ride up the Dog, out Surveyors about 11 miles to the viewpoint on the left (down a short spur to the west), the retrace my steps.

    I have little love for Oakridge in either direction.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,442
    I'm not a huge fan of Surveyors Ridge, I'd much rather climb Dog River then cross FR44 and continue up Cooks Meadow. Unfortunately, there's not much of a destination at the top of Cooks Meadow, so I either turn around here or continue up the road to High Prairie and ride the trails accessed from the area.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,084
    Climbing Oakridge is not fun. Dog River is my preference. Plus, you can skip the dh section and go up the road if you are tired of the granny gear. I actually enjoy the Oakridge descent, but I am not pushing it either. Great views on Surveyors!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH View Post
    I think this trail report has confirmed where I'm going in a week and half
    Hood River Mountain Biking Trail Conditions | The Gorge is my Gym
    There were far more trees than 12 Sunday afternoon. If that group of four with handsaws did that much behind me I am impressed. There were more than 12 between the South TH and the Cooks drop in. FYI! I would not be surprised if it is cleared soon.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  27. #27
    I just wanna ride my bike
    Reputation: TheotherH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    There were far more trees than 12 Sunday afternoon. If that group of four with handsaws did that much behind me I am impressed.
    We carry handsaws with us when we ride in case we can clear blowdown we come across. Thanks for the update!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gorgedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    232
    Gunsight/Gumjuwac?

  29. #29
    I just wanna ride my bike
    Reputation: TheotherH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    843
    It's been 8 years since my last trip to Hood River. Any recommendations for good food/brew in town? Espresso? I remember a mexican place in Bingen; is that still there?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ttrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon View Post
    Gunsight/Gumjuwac?

    Still snow as gunsight is the last to be cleared and the last with lingering snow.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ttrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    389
    I completely agree OHM... Its a bummer that there is no single track from the top of Cooks Meadow or HP over to the top of 450. That would make for a great loop, up Dog, up Cooks, up HP to 450, then descend all the way to bottom of Knebal, ride the (trail to be completed this summer.. connector to Survoyrs), then back up to Dog and Down.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH View Post
    It's been 8 years since my last trip to Hood River. Any recommendations for good food/brew in town? Espresso? I remember a mexican place in Bingen; is that still there?
    Double Mountain / beer = excellent / pizza = mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,442
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Double Mountain / beer = excellent / pizza = mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Double mountain is damn good, but I've become a Pfriem convert as of late. If it weren't for the mediocre beer and food, nothing would beat the view from the patio at Solstice in Parkdale.

    And like ttrd said, some connector singletrack from the top of Cooks Meadow to High Prairie would make for an awesome day in the saddle.


    See you tonight, Poppa.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH View Post
    It's been 8 years since my last trip to Hood River. Any recommendations for good food/brew in town? Espresso? I remember a mexican place in Bingen; is that still there?
    Best coffee without a doubt is 10 Speed.

    Best beer isn't even close -- pFriem. The food can be hit or miss though. I like the mussels and the burger. The wife hasn't had as much luck with some of the other stuff. When I was in there last week it looked like the menu had been revamped though. But damn the beer is so well made.

    Best pub food is across the river at Everybody's Brewing.

    Best burgers are at Killer Burger in Bingen (great beer selection too).

    If you want fancier food (but still reasonable), my fave is Heni's in White Salmon.

    Double Mountain does have killer pizza, but IMHO it isn't worth waiting for at least an hour for a table and battling the tourists. If I want great pizza, I head to Solstice in Bingen (apparently moving across the river to a space near Pfriem).

    Just my opinions though. YMMV.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    If it weren't for the mediocre beer and food, nothing would beat the view from the patio at Solstice in Parkdale.
    You mean Solera. And I agree with you. When in need of a beer on my way back from riding the FR44 trails, I usually stop at Sawtooth. They usually have Boneyard's IPA on tap and some decent pizza too. No view though.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    145

    Solstice is moving in next to us. Camp 1805 Distillery - 2 buildings down from pFriem

    It's going to be a great place to be once everyone gets settled in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Best coffee without a doubt is 10 Speed.

    Best beer isn't even close -- pFriem. The food can be hit or miss though. I like the mussels and the burger. The wife hasn't had as much luck with some of the other stuff. When I was in there last week it looked like the menu had been revamped though. But damn the beer is so well made.

    Best pub food is across the river at Everybody's Brewing.

    Best burgers are at Killer Burger in Bingen (great beer selection too).

    If you want fancier food (but still reasonable), my fave is Heni's in White Salmon.

    Double Mountain does have killer pizza, but IMHO it isn't worth waiting for at least an hour for a table and battling the tourists. If I want great pizza, I head to Solstice in Bingen (apparently moving across the river to a space near Pfriem).

    Just my opinions though. YMMV.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    You mean Solera. And I agree with you. When in need of a beer on my way back from riding the FR44 trails, I usually stop at Sawtooth. They usually have Boneyard's IPA on tap and some decent pizza too. No view though.
    Yeah, Solera, that is what I meant. And thanks for the Sawtooth tip, Boneyard is one of my favorites.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,084
    Double Mountain does have killer pizza, but IMHO it isn't worth waiting for at least an hour for a table and battling the tourists. If I want great pizza, I head to Solstice in Bingen (apparently moving across the river to a space near Pfriem).

    I have a lucky streak going with an open table and quick service. OOOOOOOOPS, I just blew that. Thanks for the Sawtooth suggestion.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  39. #39
    ronbo613
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Double Mountain does have killer pizza, but IMHO it isn't worth waiting for at least an hour for a table and battling the tourists.
    Yeah, don't you just hate all those weekend warriors?

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    Yeah, don't you just hate all those weekend warriors?
    Hehe. I've seen the place packed mid-afternoon on a weekday! I'll go there on weekdays, often for lunch, but usually stay away on weekends (at least if I am eating -- don't mind if I am just getting a beer). Don't get me wrong -- not knocking it. Just saying that it is always extremely crowded (well, except for Superbowl Sunday -- we were literally the only people there for dinner, since they don't have TVs).

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    Yeah, don't you just hate all those weekend warriors?
    I don't hate weekend warriors as much as working all week. ha
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  42. #42
    I just wanna ride my bike
    Reputation: TheotherH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    843
    I've hear that Knebal Springs and 8 Mile are open but lots of blowdown. True? Worth riding or wait? We carry small handsaws so can do some trail clearing...

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH View Post
    I've hear that Knebal Springs and 8 Mile are open but lots of blowdown. True? Worth riding or wait? We carry small handsaws so can do some trail clearing...
    Temira said (The Gorge is my Gym) that aparently Knebal is clear and there are just a few trees down on 8 Mile. ttrd?

    I'd consider giving that a shot this weekend, but will be in Bend.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ttrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    389
    Both are clear of snow but still have blowdown. I rode 8 mile last week and counted 26 trees (which isn't bad in comparisons to other years), not sure about Knebal's wood conditions. The dirt however is in early July like shape.... until we get more rain. And the sad part is as soon as our hoofs start showing up at Knebal after Memorial Day.... its gonna be moon dust and horse pucky!

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    114
    Was just up at W.S. and Underwood area yesterday. Seemed awful dry to me. I can see it could be a real problem come July or August if this keeps up. Might have to load the bike up and go to my Uncles house and ride down to Jewit creek to the gun range. Did it once many years ago. What a trip. Major crash at the bottom. Broke an Axle in the wreck. Yeah it was that bad. Had to carry the bike back up the hill. hehe. Yeah, that might be one of the plans for later this year.
    Oh, go to Lyle. trail head for the Klickitat trail. Might be something to check out. Saw quite a few bikes there yesterday.

Similar Threads

  1. The Sad State of the Trails in Hood River
    By jmeldrum26 in forum Oregon
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 07:41 AM
  2. Hood River Area Trails Closed - Fire Danger
    By ronbo613 in forum Oregon
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 07:46 AM
  3. Mt biking Salmon River area NY Sept 2011 info please
    By NEPMTBA in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 07:04 PM
  4. Hood River or nearby trails ?
    By Surfdog93 in forum Oregon
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-04-2011, 03:11 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 09:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •