GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Which trails drain the best in the wet season?

This will be my first fall in PDX (moved here last December) and was wanting to get everyone's opinion on what trails drain the best in all of Oregon and Washington. I've found so far that the Wilson River Trail, Siouxan Creek, and Surveyor's Ridge drain pretty good.
    Also, if you want, add ones that have terrible drainage like Mollala for example.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great thread! I too am looking for some trails that aren't so sloppy. I hit up Molalla last Sunday (10/14) and it was pretty damn slick and muddy. Don't think I'll be back up there until next spring.

Metalheadbikerider

Not sure about Siouxson...

doesn't it get snowed in?

Wilson River/Gales Creek-great in winter
    Brown's Camp gets pretty muddy, but is rideable
    Surveyor's Ridge-great in winter
    Gorge Trail 400-great in winter

That's about it as far as I know.
    Brian

Worst winter mud has to be Hagg Lake. Avoid at all costs in the winter.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Metalheadbikerider

If you guys want to ride tomorrow...

a few of us are going to ride FP. Meeting at 9am at FTF. We are getting a regular Sat. morning ride going, with plans to hit the trails I mentioned below in upcoming weeks. Just want to get something established so we are staying in town the first few weeks. Burgers and beers after of course....
    Brian
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Siouxon Creek

Siouxan was one of the first trails I rode when I moved here in December. There was snow on the trail in some places, but I still was able to ride almost the whole thing. In fact, this was the first time I actually rode on snow (hard packed snow), which I did not think was possible.
    Thinking back, I rode 3 corner rock also in the wet season and it seemed very manageable.
    Hey Bendites, what trails are ridable in your neck of the woods?

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Syncline

What about Syncline? Heard some stuff about it but I still have not ridden this trail. How is it in the wet season? I do not even know how to get there actually.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagen
    This will be my first fall in PDX (moved here last December) and was wanting to get everyone's opinion on what trails drain the best in all of Oregon and Washington. I've found so far that the Wilson River Trail, Siouxan Creek, and Surveyor's Ridge drain pretty good.
    Also, if you want, add ones that have terrible drainage like Mollala for example.
    I would hit the Stella trails in Longview. Most of the area is great in the wet. You will need a local guide the first few times. It is a very complicated and confusing network.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Longview?

Is this Longview, WA you're talking about. Just east of Astoria. I have not heard of the trails there yet.

Obviously Single

Tilly!

Hagen!

I know it's been a while since we talked, but I thought I'd told you how well the trails in Tillamook ride when it's wet.

Feel free to join me tomorrow (10/20). I'm gonna ride rain-or-shine. I'm thinking about 10AM, but since I'm (so far) riding alone, I hadn't nailed down a time (and I *can* be bribed )
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Is this Longview, WA you're talking about. Just east of Astoria. I have not heard of the trails there yet.
    Longview Washington, just off of exit 36 of I-5. Red-haze is the local that frequents these boards.

The Stella trails is the location for the annual Harmonic Convergensse group ride, off of Harmony Rd on the NW side of town.
    mtbtires.com

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    Hagen!

I know it's been a while since we talked, but I thought I'd told you how well the trails in Tillamook ride when it's wet.

Feel free to join me tomorrow (10/20). I'm gonna ride rain-or-shine. I'm thinking about 10AM, but since I'm (so far) riding alone, I hadn't nailed down a time (and I *can* be bribed )
    Hey Lee, remember me? The german kid from hillsboro who breaks bikes all the time
    I broke another one last week, so now I'm back on a singlespeed hardtail..

By tilly, you mean WRT? Mind if I join in?
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    East end Gorge trails - Syncline is ride-able all winter, Coyote Cliff/Canyon and the Hospital Hill area trails are fine in the winter too.
    Forest Park is muddy but you don't have to worry about damage, good training and it's close to home.
    TCR drains well, the stream crossing can get a little hairy during the wet season and snow usually blocks the upper sections.

You could always come over to the dark side and ride the road, fixed gear is my preferred winter fix.

Singletrack Addict
    I ride 3XRock year 'round. Drains well and is never flat. Depending on snow levels, a lot of single track is available. One year I got to the summit in February.

I bought a CX bike a few weeks ago and plan to ride roads all winter.
    Part of my master plan to hold my own at the Old Pueblo in February.

mtbr member
    Tarbell trail used to be good until it got logged. Bits of the trail are still really good, like the downhill section from the top of Larch Mountain.

I think one of the best in the winter is 3 Corner Rock. Watch the snow though, I was able to make it to the top of 3 Corner Rock in the middle of the winter last year during a warm stretch.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

My favorites

The best drained trails in my neck of the woods are Gorge 400, Syncline, and that is it! Other trails are either too high and get snow. Stay away from Post Canyon, Forest Park (toxic waste dump to your bike), and Surveyor's Ridge (snowed under). Dog River can be okay until the snow level really drops.

Jaybo

PS going to have to try the Stella Trails. Good tip.

highly visible
    Siouxon is pretty low elevation up to a little ways past the major stream crossing, and is usually not snowed in. I've ridden it several times in winter, and have never found it either muddy or snowy.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Siouxan

OHHHHH Contrare my friend. I rode Siouxan last winter around January and yes, there was alot of snow on the trail, but moat of it still rideable.

... but moat of it still rideable.
    I thought you wanted trails that drain well?
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    OHHHHH Contrare my friend. I rode Siouxan last winter around January and yes, there was alot of snow on the trail, but moat of it still rideable.
    Umm, My commute to work had snow on it for three days last year and thats in Portland. So I would expect some or all of the trails around Portland to have snow at some time throughout the winter.

Singletrack Addict
    One of my most memorable rides in recent years was on Lewis River a week after a snow storm came through and was then consequently dry and cold. Elk had been up and down the path. Many hundreds of hooves trampled the several inches of snow that later froze solid so the surface was textured and very grippy ice.