Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trails to avoid when wet?

Been itching to hit some new stuff since I recently got a higher travel FS. What are the trails that I should avoid when wet? Or at least until there's a dry spell?

I've only recently been to Brown's Camp and Sandy Ridge in the wet. I want to try out Post Canyon, Blackrock, 3 Corner Rock, etc. but not sure what to avoid when wet. Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Three Corner is fine in the rain. It's actually good due to the rock in the soil. It will be cold on top.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Three Corner Rock had rivers of water coming down it in places when I rode it last. It was still good but I got pretty wet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just my $.02. In western oregon, rain isn't an issue in fall/winter. The trails are actually at their best after fall storms, like right now. It's the spring, when things warm up and soften that the bad mud/ruts show up. Central Oregon seems to have slightly different program. Bottom line--there's no trails I'd purposely avoid for mud right now

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would avoid Hagg Lake. Peanut butter surprise when wet. Does not drain well or dry out either.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

ronbo613
    Post Canyon is not generally known for it's fantastic wet weather riding.

mtbr member
    Hit Stub Stewart, its doing real well. Only a couple greasy spots.

And WTF is doing real well with the trails up there. Drip Torch has changed for the better (harder) in the past few months. Good stuff!

mtbr member
    What about 8-mile/Knebal? Thinking of going camping there at 8-mile if there's no gates.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    What about 8-mile/Knebal? Thinking of going camping there at 8-mile if there's no gates.
    Snow last weekend. About 2 inches on the ground, so rideable and fun. Question is whether the moisture on Sunday night/mon fell as snow or rain up there. If it was snow, then its a no go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hagg Lake at the very end of October was a total mud fest. It was all rideable, mostly. But I wouldn't give it a high rating and even now with more rain, it's probably a total slosh.

mtbr member
    I've learned not to hit Hagg at all in the wet over the years. It gets nasty and just tears the trail up for the next spring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah, the ranger said it would be wet but wouldn't hurt the trail.. that being said, I did about half of the loop and rode back on the road it was so bad. Live and learn...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Black Rock is rideable when wet, just have to be cautious on the wood features.

I got nothin'
    Brown's Camp/HHT is not a good one when wet. The trail was not built with MTBing in mind and drains poorly in many areas. ODF is making good repairs and retrofits in some areas. If you ride in the wet in the Tilly Forest, best to ride WRT. Or go check out the riding out of Rheer's Camp.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rheers camp is also pretty swampy when wet, Wilson River drains the best out of anything in the Tillamook.

mtbr member
    Thinking of trying out Syncline tomorrow. Should be good riding huh? I've never been, any recommendations on a route?

Me on a Trek EX and a buddy on a hardtail 29er. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Okay seriously, Syncline is some great riding. A goo combination of descent and technical. That Hidden Enduro trail is a kick in the pants, I rode every inch, felt great on the new bike!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Syncline is fun. The Hidden Canyon trails is fun. The Forest Service closed Coyote trail which sucked but the area is top notch. Every been to SW Utah or Moab? Those areas are like Syncline on super steroids

mtbr member
    I've only 4wheeled there in my Jeep, but bringing my mountain bike this year...

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The Whole Enchilada ride out of the Moab is UNBELIEVABLE!!! Check it out. Glad you had fun at Syncline today...the sunnier weather and technical terrain are great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    Okay seriously, Syncline is some great riding. A goo combination of descent and technical. That Hidden Enduro trail is a kick in the pants, I rode every inch, felt great on the new bike!
    What is the hidden enduro trail? I'm planning to go out there for the first time soon and maps are scarce for that place.

mtbr member
    Just watched a video of the Whole Enchilada. Holy **** that looks epic.

Anyone up for meeting up with me in Moab this spring?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    What is the hidden enduro trail? I'm planning to go out there for the first time soon and maps are scarce for that place.
    You go east off the Jeep road near the top. It comes down around the east side of Maui.

See if you can view this ride. And don't laugh at my times, I suck going up and was waiting on a buddy coming down.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/29557047#518855294

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I was out for a trail run on Saturday and was pretty surprised with how nice the Post Canyon trails looked. Ran lower 8 track and The Boot. This will change quickly when we get more rain later this week. Lots of stuff re-opening, including Twin Peaks. Would not ride within 2-3 days of rain, but if we get another multi-day dry spell, it is worth a look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast