dcubed

Trail suggestions to fill in the gaps

This august my father and I are going to roam around oregon MTB'ing.

The Trip starts south of the border with the Kings range Paradise trail out of garberville. The next stop is N. Umpqua, camping at Toketee and will do the sections from Kelsay to tokeete.

Next stop is diamond lake, I have camped there a few times and heard of a trail from the crater lake park entrance back down to diamond lake. Our plan, ride the CX bikes up to and around the rim of crater lake , then find a trail back to diamond lake. Can;t find any info on the web, got any help?

Next stop is Bend. Ridden phils a few times, but with family, so only scratched the surface. this time plan on going deep, up to Whoops trails etc. Also will do the Deschutes river trail, hit up Cog Wild for a McKenzie day, We will spend 1 day riding out of Sisters, dad has ridden there, loved it. Your best trail suggestion for Sisters?

What else do we need/should do? (besides fly-fish our brains out each evening)

My dad is 63, so he will be missing the 20' suspended in the air ladder rides, me, no hucker that much, try to keep drops and such to under 3-4'. So trails that I can play, but my dad can still relax is perfect. We have all the time we need, Camper on the back of a 1-ton truck and and can self shuttle (towing a '82 Landcruiser)

And if anyone wants to join us for any of the rides, PM me. We would love the company. Just a father son team, half redneck/half hippie out for some fun
    [SIZE="1"]Delta Dirt Dogs[/SIZE]

My photos

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    As far as I know there are no MTB accessible trails from crater lake to diamond lake. There is a hiker only trail that may connect. I think it goes to Thielson though. There is a multitude of OHV trails between crater lake and diamond lake. Nothing that actually goes into crater lake park. That I know of.

Check the USFS website for more trail info near crater lake.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You're looking for the North Crater Trail.
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/umpqua/recre...h-crater.shtml

That will get you near the entry road to Crater Lake. Then it will have to be all road.

mtbr member
    I'd spend several days in Oakridge for sure.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

it means 'no problem'
    In Sisters shuttle up to Park Meadow TH and ride trail 99 then Petersen Ridge trails back to town. Fun 22 mi + ride. Also ride in the Cascade lakes area. I'd tell you about the good fishing in various lakes but then I'd have to kill you! :-) Ask at Patient Angler here in Bend for local knowledge. Lava Lake is usually good, camp there and ride the Mt. Bachy loop - it's is plenty tough.

If you like beer, plan a couple nights in Bend for the 6 brew pubs. Have a fun trip!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

dcubed
    definate on the Beer. Deschutes Mirror Pond and Black Butte are my favorite. I make a pilgrimage to the brewery every year

My photos

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    how far north are you going?

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by desmo13
    definate on the Beer. Deschutes Mirror Pond and Black Butte are my favorite. I make a pilgrimage to the brewery every year
    Those are great choices. I drank a lot of BB porter out in Colorado, as it was a good bit cheaper than my mainstays: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale & other products. I live close to the Sierra Nevada brewery and am spoiled by the low prices on their brews here in town.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

dcubed
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    how far north are you going?
    Sisters may be as far north as we go. Could be tempted to drop a day from Bend or crater lake for something amazing somewhere else.

My photos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desmo13
    Sisters may be as far north as we go. Could be tempted to drop a day from Bend or crater lake for something amazing somewhere else.
    Hood River/Mt Hood is not far from Bend, it's worth at least 2 days.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How about the FNRT? http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/frewin/recre...-rec-bro.shtml

There are quite a few good trails on/around Gearhart Mt. if you like solitude. Fishing in the streams/lakes there is good.