Riding is good.
    Mar 2005

New question here. Trail conditions in Portland vicinity?

I'm thinking about a ride tomorrow (Sunday 4/23) and was hoping to get some idea of where to go. Are the trails around Wilson River dry? How about Hagg Lake? Or are there better options around Hood River? Syncline?

I hate tearing up trails, so I'm hoping to find somewhere that's dry, not covered in snow. Thanks for any suggestions.

Singletrack Addict

What didja ride?

I'm heading out tomorrow (Monday 4/24). Thnking about either 3 Corner Rock or Lewis River.
    Any beta on them?

Riding is good.
    Mar 2005

Our ride

My original plans shifted a bit when a couple of people bailed. My friend I rode with is currently in between bikes and only had his commuter with town 'n country tires. So we wanted something smooth and close to town. So we checked out Gorge Trail #400. Driving there, I started to feel really stupid because I had not considered how crowded it might be on a nice spring day. But there was no one on the trail.

It was just what we wanted--a smooth, short trail. By no means exciting single-track, but good exercise and dry. I don't know a thing about the trails you mentioned. Please post what you find.

coffee
    I've been riding 3 Corner Rock almost weekly all winter (except for a couple times when the whole thing was snowed in). Last week I started running into snow about 1/2 mile above where the trail crosses W-1441 (?) There was less snow two weeks ago than a week ago due to some recent snow, but with all this warm weather hopefully there's less by now. This means you can't get to the top. I hiked a little farther up, but couldn't get high enough to get any really good views without walking through a couple feet of snow.

I've been riding this as an out and back. Over 45 switchbacks each way. Taking the snow into account I've been able to do about 17 miles total lately. There's still the annoying crossing at Stebbins Creek. Prepare for it.

The trail is generally always in great condition since it drains so well. There are a couple places where it was wet, but not really muddy. More like you're riding on a creek bed. At one place a fallen tree's roots ripped up the trail, but it's not a problem. The last couple weeks the woods up there are really starting to come alive.

Syncline is in good condition too, at least the parts I ride (mostly Coyote Cliffs trail). Last Wednesday it was absolutely perfect. The dirt was dry and fast. 70 degrees and sunny. The poison oak just started sprouting voraciously so be careful. One week it wasn't there and the next it was.

I'm interested in any Lewis River reports too. When do the trails like Ape Canyon or Surveyor's Ridge melt?

Old & slow

Wilson River Trail

I rode the Wilson River Trail on Sat. It was in great shape. Wish I could say the same about me.

Jim

mtbr member
    I rode Riverside, about 45 miles east of portland on Sunday. It was a little on the short side (about 8 miles), but in great condition. And perfect for my dog, who loved all the easy water access. I'm curious about other early season rides in the PDX area.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I would very careful at Syncline...

I got poison oak and a tick in my groin a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure what is worse. Oh, and I ate it and tore my leg up. It was a tough ride .

I'm itching, pun intended, to ride up high at Dog River and the rides around that area but I bet the snow is deep...so, I shall ride in the elements at Syncline. Post Canyon was in good shape Saturday too. Motorcycles have tore it pretty good though. Basta*ds!

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CampLemur
    I'm thinking about a ride tomorrow (Sunday 4/23) and was hoping to get some idea of where to go. Are the trails around Wilson River dry? How about Hagg Lake? Or are there better options around Hood River? Syncline?

I hate tearing up trails, so I'm hoping to find somewhere that's dry, not covered in snow. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Just about anything is good to go right now in each direction, below 3,500ft of course.

Places that are great right now:

Brown's Camp, Gales Creek, Wilson River, Scapoose (all west), Siouxan Creek, Lewis River? (north), Three Corner Rock (NE), Syncline (before oak is in full bloom, don't stray off of the trail and stay away from hidden canyon), Whoops?, lower Dog River?, Pioneer Bridal (all east).

Singletrack Addict

Ended up @ 3 Corner Rock

Between a late start and the unknown factors and potential tree fall on Lewis River, I decided to stick closer and do the standard.

Three Corner Rock is in about perfect shape. Yes it does drain well and considering the amount of moisture/snow, etc this winter, it's always impressive how well that trail holds up. First time I've been on it since last fall. But it's what I consider thee ol' standby and usually a good benchmark for fitness. And it sucks (my fitness).

I like to park at Dougan Falls and ride the 3 miles of dirt road to the trailhead then up the trail from there. I made it to about a half mile from the summit. The snow is off the east face and the summit is clear, but where the trail curls around to the north face before the final traverse there was impassable snow dirfts. I thought about pushing on through, but it is really soft snow and it was getting late and I was pretty tired. My early season fitness is a little weak; I've got good strength in my legs and was able to spin up most of the switchbacks, but my endurance and wind are not there yet (maybe due in part to recent bout with walking pneumonia ) it was slow-going. But a great day for a ride.

Love the fast downhill! Except right before crossing the rode, just a mile form the top I pinched the rear tube (the low pressure helped the climbs though). Early season rides usually leave something to be desired and today it was a spare tube or even a patchkit ooops.

So faced with over 10 miles of walking, I decided at least I could coast, so I sacrified the tube, cutting it into strips to tie the tire in place on the rim and used some string too. Hey it worked! It was a flop-floppy roll, but it was a lot faster than walking! I knew the tire would be toast, I just was hoping the rim would survive. No worries though, because I hadn't rolled more than a mile when I happened across another rider on his way up who generously offered me a tube: Thanks Perry!

Salvaged the ride and I had a blast screaming off that hill!

coffee
    Hey Snake Muesl,
    I'm Perry! Good to see you on mtbr as well. I ended up parking my bike and climbing up the face of the hill to actually get to the top of 3 Corner Rock. Ended up getting back to the car at 8:15 after hanging out at the top for a while. I brought my camera, but when I took it out of my camelback the batteries were dead.

I think if we keep having warm weather that last bit of snow will be melted in a couple weeks. Most of what was there a week ago is completely gone.

coffee
    Poison oak sucks. I remember back in Connecticut crashing really fast by hitting an unseen stump, flying over the handlebars and skidding on my back through a patch of poison ivy. There's nothing like poison ivy in your wounds. I'd much rather have a tick than poison anything, especially since there's no Lyme out here.

Singletrack Addict

I thought it might be you

Quote Originally Posted by themaninthewoods
    Hey Snake Muesl,
    I'm Perry! Good to see you on mtbr as well. I ended up parking my bike and climbing up the face of the hill to actually get to the top of 3 Corner Rock. Ended up getting back to the car at 8:15 after hanging out at the top for a while. I brought my camera, but when I took it out of my camelback the batteries were dead.
    Thanks again for the tube!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just tried driving up 44 to Surveyors/15 mile/Knebal/8mile/etc and the road is impassible due to snow, even in my truck I wasnt about to attempt it. Surveyors maybe reachable from dog but there was still a lot of snow everywhere on the ground when I had to turn back. I'd say at least another 2-3 weeks of warm weather to melt that stuff. 3 Corner was amazing this past weekend, such beautiful weather. Only a few downed trees...

Singletrack Addict

Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by amtbr
    I just tried driving up 44 to Surveyors/15 mile/Knebal/8mile/etc and the road is impassible due to snow, even in my truck I wasnt about to attempt it. Surveyors maybe reachable from dog but there was still a lot of snow everywhere on the ground when I had to turn back. I'd say at least another 2-3 weeks of warm weather to melt that stuff. 3 Corner was amazing this past weekend, such beautiful weather. Only a few downed trees...
    I counted two downed trees on 3 Corner and I got far enough above the tree line to say that is all. One of them I managed to (sort of) clear so it's possible to get around. The other one will take some work. 2-3 ppl might be able to wrestle it off the trail though.

It looks like it won't be until July before we'll get up to High Prairie

mtbr member

Wilson River Trail?

Hey, where is the wilson river trail? Just moved here and I couldn't find it in my guidebook or on mtbr.

Old & slow
    Check out this thread. That is where I learned about the trail. The descriptions are right on the money but no worry about snow now.

Wilson River Trail all to myself

Jim

mtbr member

Thanks!

Thanks, Jim!

Rain sucks
    Jan 2004
    Rode Haag Lake after work yesterday...its in pretty good shape. The swamp section is still a no go, but of course it probably will be until August (that side of the lake never dries out). You can just bypass that part on the road, no biggie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Just about anything is good to go right now in each direction, below 3,500ft of course.

Places that are great right now:

Brown's Camp, Gales Creek, Wilson River, Scapoose (all west), Siouxan Creek, Lewis River? (north), Three Corner Rock (NE), Syncline (before oak is in full bloom, don't stray off of the trail and stay away from hidden canyon), Whoops?, lower Dog River?, Pioneer Bridal (all east).

Where is 'Three Corner Rock"?
    I live in NE and I haven't been able to find any info about it...
    T>

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I got poison oak and a tick in my groin a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure what is worse. Oh, and I ate it and tore my leg up. It was a tough ride .

I'm itching, pun intended, to ride up high at Dog River and the rides around that area but I bet the snow is deep...so, I shall ride in the elements at Syncline. Post Canyon was in good shape Saturday too. Motorcycles have tore it pretty good though. Basta*ds!

Jaybo

Yep, I have been complaining to the land manager about the damage they have been doing but found out that he is one of the dirt bikers that has been riding on the private, state park, and fed. land (- all of which has stated that they do not want motorcycles) that the trail goes through. Even the obvious, major, trail damage he insisted that dirt bikes had nothing to do with the erosion problem and on other parts of the trail he stated that that section was "dirtbike trail" because there was dirtbike tracks on the trail! (within 200 feet there are 2 real dirtbike trails parallel to the once singletrack mtn. bike trail) ANy ideas on how to combat this way of thinking?

NAte
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Only 1 tree left on 3 corner. The link says to do it as a shuttle or take the dirt road up then single track down, if you have the fitness level I would recomend doing this one as an out and back. Its much more rewarding, the climb up the dirt road is boring and grueling. To add a little bit more to this one after you ride up the single track to the dirt road continue up to 3 corner rock summit, this adds some more serious climbing.