ride lots

Trail conditions near Sun River/Bend

Hi,
    I'm going to be in Sun River w/ family & friends for the weekend & I'm wondering if it makes sense to bring the MTB. Are the lower elevation trails snow free? If so, any recos on which ones to hit this time of the year?

Thanks,
    Stefan

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonRacer View Post
    Hi,
    I'm going to be in Sun River w/ family & friends for the weekend & I'm wondering if it makes sense to bring the MTB. Are the lower elevation trails snow free? If so, any recos on which ones to hit this time of the year?

Thanks,
    Stefan

Snow free and in excellent condition. You'd be a fool to leave the bike home. Hit all of them.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Afric Pepperbird
    The Deschutes River Trail from Sunriver all the way to Bend is in excellent shape. It's a gorgeous ride.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Nice thing about Bend....when the snow is not so good....other options abound!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

What day are we riding?

Storm King?

How far up have people been riding? Thinking about trying to sneak in one more run down Storm King from Helipad but thinking I will run into too much snow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am coming from Oakridge to ride some point next week depending on these next storms. Have never ridden in Bend, any recommendations? Looking for something around 20 miles give or take, can be technical or buffed it doesn't matter. I hear Phils Trails is a good place?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
    How far up have people been riding? Thinking about trying to sneak in one more run down Storm King from Helipad but thinking I will run into too much snow.
    Couple weeks ago I was able to ride up Phil's to Storm King and over to G.S. Spots of snow and ice, but everything was ridable. We did get a little precip between then and now, if I remember right. Not sure if this response is too late, but let us know what you find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Phil's area trails are great - even dusty..

Hey Just replying to this thread since I don't post enough to have the clearance start a new thread. The lower local Bend trails are still great while we wait for more snow..

**Found** GPS device in the Phil's area yesterday. Please send me a personal message with a detialed description of what you lost if you think this was yours. The device has some personal info inside it (but no contact info!) - so please be consistent with it or explain why you don't match.

Also, if there is a better place to post this type of message please advise.

Peace out!

ride lots

Good job! Thanks for all the recos

I ended up taking the 29er hardtail with me and it seemed perfect for the trails I rode. Coming from Seattle, I liked the dry trails and sun so much that I didn't do any skiing.

On my first ride I explored some of the forest roads and trails on the western side of the Deschutes river off Spring River rd. I made it to Benham falls just around sunset and eventually ended up getting a bit lost in Sun River as it got really dark by the time I got back to the village. Conditions were great with dry trails and just the odd patch of snow here and there.

I had more time for my second ride and did an out and back on the Deschutes River Trail from Sun River to Meadow camp. This has to be one of the most scenic trails I've ridden. As I watch the rain falling back in Seattle, I'm starting to plot a summer vacation in Bend