Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Trail 400 was dry as a bone today

What an awesome ride today. Sunny, cool, and no hikers. No mud either....great place to ride. Syncline is a mess...we tried that. The freeze and dry cycle has screwed the trail up.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    What an awesome ride today. Sunny, cool, and no hikers. No mud either....great place to ride. Syncline is a mess...we tried that. The freeze and dry cycle has screwed the trail up.

Jaybo

....But the 300 riders from last weekend didn't do any damage!

Nate
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I only saw a few cars parked there...

Quote Originally Posted by Paco Finn
    ....But the 300 riders from last weekend didn't do any damage!

Nate
    I rode Syncline last weekend and the trails were in good shape. The erosion is concerning but most of that is a function of the wet winter. I have never seen it so wet in the Gorge. I guess HR got almost 10" of rain in January.

Sycline should not be ridden in this freeze and thaw cycle.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I didn't think anybody else ever set wheels on Trail 400. I ride it from the Bonne Dam eastward to Cascade Locks, and have occasionally gotten lost and found myself nearly 5 miles further east. I have NEVER seen another biker on the trail, though I only hit it about 4 times a year.

I also used to ride the section from Doddson School eastwards to John Y. State Park, but it got hammered by the big landslide, and I haven't tried since being shut down about 5 years ago. It sure used to seem pretty technical. Wonder what it would be like now?

Hosp Hill (backside) and Whoop Dee are riding pretty well right now, but you have to get the Whoop before the sun touches it (ice mud probably forming by noon -- there was just a hint at 11 today when I finished) and approach it with a sense of some adventure due to some sections of shallow snow and a little ice. HH a better bet overall. I'm going to hit it tomorrow morning. Probably at around 20 degrees, but hey, it's too cold to ski!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I ride it from Cascade Locks to the top of Wauna Point....

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    I didn't think anybody else ever set wheels on Trail 400. I ride it from the Bonne Dam eastward to Cascade Locks, and have occasionally gotten lost and found myself nearly 5 miles further east. I have NEVER seen another biker on the trail, though I only hit it about 4 times a year.

I also used to ride the section from Doddson School eastwards to John Y. State Park, but it got hammered by the big landslide, and I haven't tried since being shut down about 5 years ago. It sure used to seem pretty technical. Wonder what it would be like now?

Hosp Hill (backside) and Whoop Dee are riding pretty well right now, but you have to get the Whoop before the sun touches it (ice mud probably forming by noon -- there was just a hint at 11 today when I finished) and approach it with a sense of some adventure due to some sections of shallow snow and a little ice. HH a better bet overall. I'm going to hit it tomorrow morning. Probably at around 20 degrees, but hey, it's too cold to ski!
    It rocks! A good two hours ride on very nice trails. It isn't as nice a ride as some others but the singletrack out of Cascade Locks is excellent. I might try Whoop De tomorrow because it will be frozen...might be fun. However, I worry about erosion on Whoop De Doo. They have screwed up the top side with the bulldozer. Too bad. Have fun and stay warm.

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 02-17-2006 at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That view from Wauna Point is great. Nice mini-grind to get there, too.

I agree on HH. The frontside is boring (and hot in summer). I have a somewhat different version. Start at the Hospital power substation, ride up Jewett Creek, including the new reroute by the rifle range, then up the single track from the old corral, then a bit of Evergreen Hwy, then grind up Hector Connector, then Monkey Trail to the gate at the top. In wintertime, I turn down Triple Bypass at the gate, hit Evergreen briefly, the down Cliff's Trail through the scrub oaks, then retrace my way down Jewett Creek to the car.

For longer, faster summer rides, I continue down the frontside from the gate for a mile or so, then veer left up that quick lift onto Interwoods, and follow it to the top of Millenium. Turn back and do it the other way (going down the Millenium switchbacks to Sidehill Dodger bores me.

My ride has been pushed to Sunday.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I rode with David M today at Post Canyon

That view from Wauna Point is great. Nice mini-grind to get there, too.

I agree on HH. The frontside is boring (and hot in summer). I have a somewhat different version. Start at the Hospital power substation, ride up Jewett Creek, including the new reroute by the rifle range, then up the single track from the old corral, then a bit of Evergreen Hwy, then grind up Hector Connector, then Monkey Trail to the gate at the top. In wintertime, I turn down Triple Bypass at the gate, hit Evergreen briefly, the down Cliff's Trail through the scrub oaks, then retrace my way down Jewett Creek to the car.

For longer, faster summer rides, I continue down the frontside from the gate for a mile or so, then veer left up that quick lift onto Interwoods, and follow it to the top of Millenium. Turn back and do it the other way (going down the Millenium switchbacks to Sidehill Dodger bores me.

My ride has been pushed to Sunday.
    It was fun but a bit mucky and slick due to snow and ice. Nonetheless, it was good to look around the area. I would like to get to know HH a bit better. Lots of trails. I have no idea what are those trails are and how to get there. You sound like you know the area really well.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    It was fun but a bit mucky and slick due to snow and ice. Nonetheless, it was good to look around the area. I would like to get to know HH a bit better. Lots of trails. I have no idea what are those trails are and how to get there. You sound like you know the area really well.

Jaybo
    Hey Jay,

Do you know how Syncline is looking this weekend? I haven't been up there in almost a few months, been recently suffering from "NHS" (new house syndrome). I am planning on riding tomorrow after the cable guy comes by sometime between 10-12p.

- Jon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Jaybo
    And I missed you guys by about 10 minutes! I'm hitting HH at 9. Short notice, but if you want a little tour, I'll see you at the hospital substation!

Kosmo

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Next weekend if you are around....

And I missed you guys by about 10 minutes! I'm hitting HH at 9. Short notice, but if you want a little tour, I'll see you at the hospital substation!

Kosmo
    We just got up. Our guilty pleasure is sleeping in on Sunday's. I would like to get a tour around HH sometime. David was going to call you.

Did you ride Post Canyon yesterday? I was surprised it was as fun as it was. I remembered it being mostly for FR heads.

Jaybo

mtbr member

Sunday ride

We just got up. Our guilty pleasure is sleeping in on Sunday's. I would like to get a tour around HH sometime. David was going to call you.

Did you ride Post Canyon yesterday? I was surprised it was as fun as it was. I remembered it being mostly for FR heads.

Jaybo
    Hey Jay, riding Three Corner (to creek and back, 9.5mi, about 2hr ride) after 12pm today. If interested give a holler. We rode together on the Mt. Hood shuttle epic last fall with Rob and Milt. A friend of mine is picking me aobut between 12:30-1pm, we should be at TH by 2pm. If I can remember correctly, you live in Vancouver, only about 30min to TH for you and the lower section should be rideable. Call if interested.

- Jon. 503-312-3443.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Jaybo
    No Post for me yesterday. My wife and I went up the mtn for some xc skiing in the morning. Cold and beautiful, but SLOW snow.

Got back just in time to miss you guys. Too bad, Post is my back yard.

HH was good this morning. Up, up, up, to the fence crossing on Triple Bypass. Following cougar tracks part of the way, which was cool, since they were around 4 days old. Too much snow beyond that to make it worthwhile. Man, that place is going to be a mess when things thaw out!

Hope you made 3 Corner Rock. We'll ride with Mac soon. He'll have more time now with his 4 day a week gig.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Would have been fun....

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Hey Jay, riding Three Corner (to creek and back, 9.5mi, about 2hr ride) after 12pm today. If interested give a holler. We rode together on the Mt. Hood shuttle epic last fall with Rob and Milt. A friend of mine is picking me aobut between 12:30-1pm, we should be at TH by 2pm. If I can remember correctly, you live in Vancouver, only about 30min to TH for you and the lower section should be rideable. Call if interested.

- Jon. 503-312-3443.
    I'm a day short and ride late. Is that how it goes? Laugh. I was working on the house today. Maybe next weekend. I live in Vantucky up by the hospital. I remember you. That Mt Hood shuttle was fun...would like to do that again. I can't imagine how much snow Knebal has...it may be July before we get back up there again.

Jay

360-521-0844
    Last edited by Jaybo; 02-19-2006 at 09:24 PM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

He was ripping Post Canyon up....

No Post for me yesterday. My wife and I went up the mtn for some xc skiing in the morning. Cold and beautiful, but SLOW snow.

Got back just in time to miss you guys. Too bad, Post is my back yard.

HH was good this morning. Up, up, up, to the fence crossing on Triple Bypass. Following cougar tracks part of the way, which was cool, since they were around 4 days old. Too much snow beyond that to make it worthwhile. Man, that place is going to be a mess when things thaw out!

Hope you made 3 Corner Rock. We'll ride with Mac soon. He'll have more time now with his 4 day a week gig.
    He is becoming quite the freerider with that 6" travel bike. I migh have to acutally do some trail maintenance this year as the whole Hood Valley is going to need some work to return to its former splendor. Syncline is pretty beat up too.

Jaybo