Dirty minded
    Nov 2008

Tour suggestions

A couple of buddies and I will be arriving in Portland and doing some riding as part of a mountain bike tour before and after MBO. We plan to ride a couple days in the Portland area (including Sandy Ridge), a day or two at Black Rock / Salem area, a day in the Eugene area, MBO, a day in Bend and then back to Portland.
    I am looking for some suggestions while we are in Portland, Eugene, Bend and additional riding options in the Salem area. Also, we do have MRT in our sights, and are wondering if it is just as easy (easier?) to access out of Eugene as it would be from Bend?
    And... are there any coastal trail options (like with views of the ocean) accessible from Salem / Falls City / Black Rock area?
    Thanks for any suggestions!

I got nothin'
    I will chime in on the Portland area. I will go on the assumption, based upon the fact that you listed Sandy and Black Rock as the places you are hitting outside of MBO that you guys are more DH, Trail, Enduro oriented. If so, there really isn't anything in or around PDX that would match up to your style of riding.

Stub Stewart is progressing well, might look into that, west of Portland.

Next might be Post Canyon in Hood River, and hour or more east of Portland out in the Gorge.

Syncline in Bingen WA might work too, but it will be hot during the middle of the day.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    A couple of buddies and I will be arriving in Portland and doing some riding as part of a mountain bike tour before and after MBO. We plan to ride a couple days in the Portland area (including Sandy Ridge), a day or two at Black Rock / Salem area, a day in the Eugene area, MBO, a day in Bend and then back to Portland.
    I am looking for some suggestions while we are in Portland, Eugene, Bend and additional riding options in the Salem area. Also, we do have MRT in our sights, and are wondering if it is just as easy (easier?) to access out of Eugene as it would be from Bend?
    And... are there any coastal trail options (like with views of the ocean) accessible from Salem / Falls City / Black Rock area?
    Thanks for any suggestions!
    McKenzie River Trail is not any closer to Bend than it is to Eugene. The top of the trail is closer to Bend, the bottom of the trail is closer to Eugene. 6 in one, half-dozen in the other. Better to ride the high Bend trails when in Bend, which will be a different experience than the other rides you will be doing.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Assumptions … well you know what they say…
    We ride it all.
    Yes we do like descents, but we are from Central Texas and if you get 2500 ft of descending in a day, then you did 2500 ft of climbing, and you might as well learn to like it. And we do. Climbing, descending, technical, flow, sending it… so long as there is cold beer afterwards and some food nearby we’re all smiles.
    Thanks. Stub Stewart sounds interesting, I’ve never heard of it and will definitely look into what’s up with it.
    Btw- we recently got back from 5 days of FreeRide Fest in Winter Park Colorado, which was a total blast.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GauchoGreg View Post
    McKenzie River Trail is not any closer to Bend than it is to Eugene. The top of the trail is closer to Bend, the bottom of the trail is closer to Eugene. 6 in one, half-dozen in the other. Better to ride the high Bend trails when in Bend, which will be a different experience than the other rides you will be doing.
    Thanks, that is exactly what I was contemplating.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek View Post
    Next might be Post Canyon in Hood River, and hour or more east of Portland out in the Gorge.
    Thanks.
    I need to check into this as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks.
    I need to check into this as well.
    As far as towns are concerned, maximize your time in Bend and Hood River (and Portland), and minimize your time in Salem. Worked in Salem for several years, and my wife is from there, now live in Bend. Salem is a sleepy State Capital kind of town, and not a lot of great riding right there. I would stay in Corvallis rather than Salem, if I were you, close to both Black Rock and Mary's Peak, and a fun college town. Best bets for good beer and food near riding, and just cool towns, are Bend and Hood River.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you will be at august mbo, hopefull we can ride together again if not look me up in the beer garden. I like taking getting the shuttle at the bottom of mrt, that way there is no time limit on the trail. Mary's peak is a great ride with awesome views from the top on a clear day, it's the highest peak in the coast range. Syncline is definately your style, but as another has said it's very hot this time of year. Lots of good riding in hood river and it's only a out 1 hour from pdx. I would hit Waldo and the twins on your way to bend. So many ride options depending on how much time you have

I got nothin'
    Assumptions … well you know what they say…
    We ride it all.
    Yes we do like descents, but we are from Central Texas and if you get 2500 ft of descending in a day, then you did 2500 ft of climbing, and you might as well learn to like it. And we do. Climbing, descending, technical, flow, sending it… so long as there is cold beer afterwards and some food nearby we’re all smiles.
    Thanks. Stub Stewart sounds interesting, I’ve never heard of it and will definitely look into what’s up with it.
    Btw- we recently got back from 5 days of FreeRide Fest in Winter Park Colorado, which was a total blast.
    Well, if you don't mind a little climbing I would suggest you ride the Mt. St. Helens Epic of Ape Canyon > Plans of Abe > Smith Creek. That is an experience that you are not going to get many places on earth. Old growth forests to volcanic blast zones. One of my favs in the PNW.

Another is the Lewis River Trail. Very close to Mt. St. Helens. Has everything a great XC trail should have. Climbing, decending, flow, technical, views and river to jump into at the end to cool off.

Making fat cool since '71
    Regarding Eugene...there's NO real MTB'ing in Eugene. We've built a nice little XC area about 35 minutes south-west of EwwJean (rides a lot like a river trail, but is spread out network) we can show you (Directions to Whypass | Disciples of Dirt) or the goods are down my way outside Cottage Grove. We have beautiful (but short) creek trails with some tech and a downright rowdy and fast dh oriented trail I never mind showing off. If the timing works, we could wrangle up some shuttles on it for you. Look up jaewannabe in the beer garden, but don't feed him or give him anything to drink after midnight.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Look up jaewannabe in the beer garden, but don't feed him or give him anything to drink after midnight.

Brock...[/QUOTE]

what are you saying, I turn back into Cinderella after midnight?

Tactical Nightmare
    These guys are dead on with their suggestions. That said, and it can be a view of the coast and the Cascades is Mary's Peak outside of Corvallis. Killer views on a clear day, a really fun couple of trails, both up and down. I think it gets overlooked at times, but it is a really fun ride.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jaewannabe View Post
    Glad to hear you will be at august mbo, hopefull we can ride together again if not look me up in the beer garden. I like taking getting the shuttle at the bottom of mrt, that way there is no time limit on the trail. Mary's peak is a great ride with awesome views from the top on a clear day, it's the highest peak in the coast range. Syncline is definately your style, but as another has said it's very hot this time of year. Lots of good riding in hood river and it's only a out 1 hour from pdx. I would hit Waldo and the twins on your way to bend. So many ride options depending on how much time you have
    Dude beer at MBO for sure. We will be riding Black Rock the 13th if you want to join us.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek View Post
    Well, if you don't mind a little climbing I would suggest you ride the Mt. St. Helens Epic of Ape Canyon > Plans of Abe > Smith Creek. That is an experience that you are not going to get many places on earth. Old growth forests to volcanic blast zones. One of my favs in the PNW.

Another is the Lewis River Trail. Very close to Mt. St. Helens. Has everything a great XC trail should have. Climbing, decending, flow, technical, views and river to jump into at the end to cool off.
    Both of these sound tip top. About how far is Ape Canyon/smith creek from Portland?

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde View Post
    Regarding Eugene...there's NO real MTB'ing in Eugene. We've built a nice little XC area about 35 minutes south-west of EwwJean (rides a lot like a river trail, but is spread out network) we can show you (Directions to Whypass | Disciples of Dirt) or the goods are down my way outside Cottage Grove. We have beautiful (but short) creek trails with some tech and a downright rowdy and fast dh oriented trail I never mind showing off. If the timing works, we could wrangle up some shuttles on it for you. Look up jaewannabe in the beer garden, but don't feed him or give him anything to drink after midnight.

Brock...
    Well it looks like we will be hitting MRT out from the Eugene area, Mckenzie River Mountain Resort will be doing the shuttle on the 14th. looks like we'll be spending a couple of nights there as well. They mentioned something about the O'leary trail...? we may check it out... or maybe those shuttle rides if your down. I'd like to hear more...

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    These guys are dead on with their suggestions. That said, and it can be a view of the coast and the Cascades is Mary's Peak outside of Corvallis. Killer views on a clear day, a really fun couple of trails, both up and down. I think it gets overlooked at times, but it is a really fun ride.
    Marys peak, how'd I miss that? Oh well, at this point it looks like it'll be next time!

I got nothin'
    [QUOTE=dimitrin;10593229] Both of these sound tip top. About how far is Ape Canyon/smith creek from Portland?
    QUOTE]

Plan on close to two hours of driving to get to the TH of each of these. They are worth it IMHO.

mtbr member
    Well it looks like we will be hitting MRT out from the Eugene area, Mckenzie River Mountain Resort will be doing the shuttle on the 14th. looks like we'll be spending a couple of nights there as well. They mentioned something about the O'leary trail...? we may check it out... or maybe those shuttle rides if your down. I'd like to hear more...
    O'Leary trail is amazing if you are wanting a wilderness experince - without being in the wilderness.. You will need to purchase the area map at the McKenzie Ranger's Station for $7. Then call Horse Creek Lodge to shuttle you, they shuttle our tours and know where to take you.
    The ride is 22 miles - 2,500ft of climbing and 6,000ft of descending. Yes, you read that right. It is a ride for high intermediate to advanced riders. And once your shuttle driver leaves, you are out there..
    From the Horse Pasture trailhead you ride an over-grown trail for a short bit before getting on O'Leary. O'Leary will climb and take you trhough amzing scenery. At one point the trail crosses the road, you need to be careful to see where on the left you access the trail again. After the next, and obvious road crossing, you will want to go right at the T in the trail (all on the map) and go to the next gravel road, that you will go right on and climb until you see a trail on your right. This is King Castle and you will fly down to where you left your car at the King Castle parking lot.
    The ride is amazing, but I would hate to get lost out there. Even finding the King Castle parking area can be confusing depending on which direction of the road you came from.
    But now you know the details, go ride!!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

mtbr dismember

MRT shuttle

...Also, we do have MRT in our sights, and are wondering if it is just as easy (easier?) to access out of Eugene as it would be from Bend?
    Here is the best way to shuttle MRT from Eugene. Get an earlier start, ride your own pace, and end up at your car. No waiting for a return shuttle.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Here is the best way to shuttle MRT from Eugene. Get an earlier start, ride your own pace, and end up at your car. No waiting for a return shuttle.
    HA!
    We'll be using them!

On a separate note I sure could use some input for our 8/11 Sun. Mt. St. Helens Epic of Ape Canyon > Plans of Abe > Smith Creek ride

and the 8/12 Mon. Post Canyon trail ride

Will I need a trail map?
    Is there anyplace that has info as far as trail head locations, trail directions, maps, etc.?

Thanks for all the input thus far, this is going to be an amazing trip!

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cog Wild View Post
    O'Leary trail is amazing if you are wanting a wilderness experince - without being in the wilderness.. You will need to purchase the area map at the McKenzie Ranger's Station for $7. Then call Horse Creek Lodge to shuttle you, they shuttle our tours and know where to take you.
    The ride is 22 miles - 2,500ft of climbing and 6,000ft of descending. Yes, you read that right. It is a ride for high intermediate to advanced riders. And once your shuttle driver leaves, you are out there..
    From the Horse Pasture trailhead you ride an over-grown trail for a short bit before getting on O'Leary. O'Leary will climb and take you trhough amzing scenery. At one point the trail crosses the road, you need to be careful to see where on the left you access the trail again. After the next, and obvious road crossing, you will want to go right at the T in the trail (all on the map) and go to the next gravel road, that you will go right on and climb until you see a trail on your right. This is King Castle and you will fly down to where you left your car at the King Castle parking lot.
    The ride is amazing, but I would hate to get lost out there. Even finding the King Castle parking area can be confusing depending on which direction of the road you came from.
    But now you know the details, go ride!!
    That sounds like excellent info, thanks alot!

mtbr member
    HA!
    We'll be using them!

On a separate note I sure could use some input for our 8/11 Sun. Mt. St. Helens Epic of Ape Canyon > Plans of Abe > Smith Creek ride

and the 8/12 Mon. Post Canyon trail ride

Will I need a trail map?
    Is there anyplace that has info as far as trail head locations, trail directions, maps, etc.?

Thanks for all the input thus far, this is going to be an amazing trip!
    Stop by a LBS in hood river and buy a map. The hood river adventure map has both areas on in, post canyon and the st helens trails.

I got nothin'
    Missed your post on the dates of your St. Helens ride. Hope you found the maps you needed and had a great time exploring!

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    This trip was a blast, big thanks to everybody that chimed in! (on and off the boards!)
    10 full days in Oregon, 9 big days of riding.
    I’m going to list the itinerary since so many posts here ask for riding suggestions.

Day 1- Mt. St. Helens out and back ride with Ape Canyon / Trail of Abraham
    Day 2- Hood River area with Dog River / surveyors ridge / Oakridge trail before lunch (26 mi., 4900' climbing), then shuttled the enduro run in Post Canyon. That was a big day. Big thanks to Gary!
    Day 3- 2 ½ laps at Black Rock
    Day 4- MRT, naked chick ran across the trail about half way through the ride. Big thanks to naked chick!
    Day 5- Drive into Oakridge and register for first day of MBO
    Day 6- ATCA 26 mi. with 4500 ft of climbing
    Day 7- double shuttle of Hardesty and Lawler
    Day 8- Flat creek and salmon creek. Big thanks to Randy and MBO!
    Day 9- North fork/flag line/south fork in Bend. Big thanks to Scott!
    Day 10- 2 ½ laps of Sandy Ridge including the new stuff to the top. Big thanks to Big Mike!

My legs started to blow up after the ATCA, but a soak in the river made them like new. That became my after ride routine from then on since all the rides( except Sandy) ended near a river or creek… soak legs/lower back for 20 mins. ( 2 beers). I soaked myself in beer after Sandy knowing I was headed home the next day.

This trip has ruined me for riding my local trails. We ate blackberry or blueberry pie every night with Tillamook ice cream, drank cases of Widmer Bros Alchemy ale, ate black berries trailside off the vine and soaked in hot springs.

I’m already planning next years trip.

Tactical Nightmare
    Nice dimitrin! Glad you enjoyed some of what Oregon has to offer! Great write up too! I'm sure the Oregon terrain is a far cry from the what you have in Central Texas.....not that you have bad trails, just totally different terrain, I would imagine. Not only did you partake in the trails, you got to try some local brews, and Tillamook ice cream is top notch! Maybe next year when you come out, I'll meet up and ride some with you. Heck, any guy that gets scenery like the naked chick on the MRT would be worth rolling with! Take care, and maybe we will see you again!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

McKenzie River Trail Shuttle

Thanks for the shout-out Wherewolf!

McKenzie River Mountain Resort runs a daily shuttle (by reservation) to the MRT all season long starting in the spring and until it snows (mid to late Nov usually).

We meet at bottom of the trail and take you to the top - you ride back to your car!
    Biking

We provide a free trail map to our guests - and directions to the local hot springs!

We offer bike rentals and lodging options (cabins and rooms) - often with great package rates (just ask).

Custom shuttle times are available. We also shuttle the nearby O'Leary / King-Castle epic trail (20 miles). Olallie Ridge Loop Mountain Bike Trail, Sisters, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post