mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Top two coastal riding towns?

Hey folks, my BC biking family will be passing through OR en-route to Cali for Christmas with relatives. We'll be booking it through Washington to spend 3 nights along the coast in Oregon. I've been finding lots of non-bike related tourism info on the coast, but it doesn't have that layer of crank-friendly beta that I'm searching for.

Top two suggestions for places you'd stay overnight (or two) and ride. Surfing info welcome too, we'll be travelling with a board on board.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Camp at Washburn State Park on the central Oregon coast, from there you can ride Cape Perpetua to the North and the Cape Mt. Horse trails to the south.

At Cape Perpetua ride the Cummins Creek Loop trail, you can either ride up the road or take the Cummins Creek trail to the top then come down the Cummins Creek Loop trail, lots of slick roots and technical stuff.

Then head south past sea Lion Caves to Herman Cape RD, turn left go up four miles to Dry Lake Trailhead.You'll find a well mapped system of 17 miles of trail, be sure to check out the Blue Horizon Loop.

Great surfing in the area between Walport and Yachats.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/siusl...a/?recid=42259
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thanks Jolly. I realize I'm missing out on a lot of good summer riding in the mountains, but I was hoping that it wasn't totally slim pickins for winter riding nearer to the temperate coast.

mtbr member
    The place you really need to check out is the D.O.Ds play ground Whypass. It's inland about an hour and a half, near Loraine Or. Disciples of Dirt Mountain Bike Club
    Oregon is gonna be wet, it doesn't stop us, we like to play in the mud. Unfortunately riding on the coast is limited.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar View Post
    , you can Then head south past sea Lion Caves to Herman Cape RD, turn left go up four miles to Dry Lake Trailhead.You'll find a well mapped system of 17 miles of trail, be sure to check out the Blue Horizon Loop.

Siuslaw National Forest - Newport to Florence
    Hey, Jolly, is Blue Horizon loop new? Don't remember that from my rides at Cape Mountain. Would love to get there for a wintertime jaunt before the horsies come back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar View Post
    , you can Then head south past sea Lion Caves to Herman Cape RD, turn left go up four miles to Dry Lake Trailhead.You'll find a well mapped system of 17 miles of trail, be sure to check out the Blue Horizon Loop.

Siuslaw National Forest - Newport to Florence
    Hey, Jolly, is Blue Horizon loop new? Don't remember that from my rides at Cape Mountain. Would love to get there for a wintertime jaunt before the horsies come back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Albee View Post
    Albee you've ridden Blue Horizon at Spring Break. Come on over anytime, so I can be the guide for once and return the favor.

I'm hoping we can get Spring Break on the D.O.D ride calendar early this spring, I'm thinking the first weekend in April.

Happy trails.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Jolly, how far north of Florence are the horse trails at the Dry Lake Trails? I'm asking time by car. Want to see if it's worth the drive from Coos Bay.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Dry Lake trailhead @ Cape Mt. is about 20minutes north of Florence, less depending on how fast you drive.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly