Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Top 5 trails around Oakridge/Bend?

If you had five days to spend in and around Oakridge, where would you camp and what trails would you ride? Same for Bend. I am looking for longish (3-4 hour) rides with fast flowing singletrack, maybe some interesting technical bits. Trails along the lines of the McKenzie River Trail.

I will be in Oregon the first two weeks of August and would like to spend five days (31-4) in Oakridge and five days (7-11) in Bend camping and biking (maybe go to Bend first?). I will probably head back to my parents (Corvallis/Albany area) to recover and visit my family in between the two trips. I would love to go to Mountain Bike Oregon but I cannot stay that long.

My plans are totally flexible so any suggestions would be appreciated. I will also probably be by myself so if anyone is free around then and would like to show me their favorite trail in person - that would be great!

Thanks,

Aaron

mtbr member

What? - Only 5??

Oakridge area has a lot of camping opportunities. I would tend to head up the North Fork (Road 19) a ways, or south on Rd 21 to any of a number of campgrounds past the Hills Creek reservoir. Some trails to highlight are Moon Point, Alpine, Tire Mountain, Maiden Peak, Fuji Mtn, Salmon Creek, Heckletooth, and a 62 mile drive over Rd 19 to the McKenzie drainage gets you to the likes of Olallie/Oleary, and you could stop at the top of that pass and ride Chucksney Mtn. Oh, and of course there's more.... I will let the Bend boyz 'n girlz weigh in as to their side of the hill. Post up here closer to your arrival in the area and somebody will be willing to go on some of those.
    Side note, the skeeters will be fierce that time anywhere near high elevation water sources, they usually go away after mid September.

Flaps

Quote Originally Posted by DBR18210
    If you had five days to spend in and around Oakridge, where would you camp and what trails would you ride? Same for Bend. I am looking for longish (3-4 hour) rides with fast flowing singletrack, maybe some interesting technical bits. Trails along the lines of the McKenzie River Trail.

I will be in Oregon the first two weeks of August and would like to spend five days (31-4) in Oakridge and five days (7-11) in Bend camping and biking (maybe go to Bend first?). I will probably head back to my parents (Corvallis/Albany area) to recover and visit my family in between the two trips. I would love to go to Mountain Bike Oregon but I cannot stay that long.

My plans are totally flexible so any suggestions would be appreciated. I will also probably be by myself so if anyone is free around then and would like to show me their favorite trail in person - that would be great!

Thanks,

Aaron

Known Mountainbiker
    Mudflap failed to mention Oakridge's northshore and the freeride park in shiggy's front yard. Surely I kid you.
    Really your best bet for the best rides is to hook up with some locals who most likely will be riding the days you'll want to ride. May I suggest you bring a good light for a night ride? May I also suggest bug spray for a skeeter free camping experience. And lastly may I suggest you post up on yahoo group "disciples of dirt" where you will greaten (is that a word?) your chances of hooking up with locals for group riding.

We always look forward to riding with fresh meat/tofu as we hope you look forward to riding with us.

c

mtbr member

related question...

We are leaving Portland Saturday for a week's vacation camping and riding. Both my wife and I like to ride but we have two kids so we will each ride solo. I was thinking of heading out FS21 from Oakridge. Any recommendations for camping in that area? I'd love to be able to ride from camp and have a nice spot for our kids (4 and 6) to play. I don't need anything too epic to ride, but would like to ride 2-3 hours each day. I'd like to explore the Middle Fork trail, but would like suggestions as to what sections to try. I've spent some time in the vicinity but only really ridden at Waldo. How are the skeeters this time of year?

Depending on conditions and how we feel, we may also hit MRT and head for Sisters and or Bend. I would ask the same questions as above. Where to camp and ride, with the goal of riding from camp, or at least not doing a ton of driving once we do camp. Thanks in advance for any opinions, suggestions, etc.
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

meatier showers

Hmmmmmm.........

Quote Originally Posted by DBR18210
    If you had five days to spend in and around Oakridge, where would you camp and what trails would you ride? ...
    Aaron
    Hey Aaron,

I live in Creswell (10 minutes south of Eugene, 45 minutes west of Oakridge) so I'll leave the Bend suggestions to the Easterners and address the Oakie Zone. I will suggest that during the season you're coming you go to Bend first and Oakridge second, reason being Bend gets dustier and the Waldo/Timpanogas area gets less mosquito infested respectively as the season goes on (although a week's difference in either place probably won't matter much, but you may as well optimize your chances). Anyway, here are my suggestions, numbered but not necessarily in order:

1) Waldo Lake (+ The Twins if you have leftover energy)
    2) Sawtooth Struggle Loop (Camp at Timpanogas Lake)
    3) Middle Fork Trail, top to bottom
    4) Alpine Trail (start/end in Westfir, climb Rd. #1910)
    5) Bunchgrass (as much as you like; much as you dare)
    6) Larison Creek + Larison Rock (sweet taste of Oregon)
    7) Moon Point (light day)
    8) Suzanne Lake (light day -- camp at Timpanogas Lake)

The problem with Waldo, Twins, Sawtooth, Suzanne & Timpanogas is the mosquitos will probably carry you away anytime before Labor Day. But if you come to Oakridge and miss those jewels, you'll have missed the cream in favor of skim. Now if you were planning your trip for the first two weeks of September instead of the first two weeks of August...

There's plenty of other riding going on. Hook up with the Disciples of Dirt and you won't be sorry. Someone else suggested you bring your lights -- no kidding, do it.

See you when you get here.

--Sparty
    AKA Davey Sprockett, King of the Wild Front Tire
    Disciples Of Dirt Founder, 1987
    Last edited by Sparticus; 05-31-2006 at 10:37 PM.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Nat
    Solo contendre
    So many choices...

The lower stuff around Bend (i.e., "Phil's Triangle") will probably be covered in 3" of dust by then, but the higher elevation stuff will be nice.

As of 9pm tonight these would be my top picks, with pics in totally screwed up order:

1) Bachelor-Lava-Edison
    2) Bachelor-Todd Lake-Metolius/Windigo-Mrazek (aka - Bachelor-to-Bend)
    3) Swede Ridge-South Fork-North Fork-Farewell
    4) Trail 99 (actually near Sisters)
    5) Round Mountain/Lookout Mountain (actually near Prineville -- kinda boonies so might not be the best solo if you're not completely self-sufficient))
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nat; 05-30-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Gittyup!
    Good list Nat. I would have to concur.

But Holy Shikes! Is that Kwol Butte in pic 2? Something off Edison/Lava? Never done that trail, but it's on the docket for this year. Even more so now after seeing that pic. Yowza.

Also haven't ridden Lookout in the Ochoco's. Care to lead the way sometime in the next month or so?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Really?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    So many choices...

The lower stuff around Bend (i.e., "Phil's Triangle") will probably be covered in 3" of dust by then, but the higher elevation stuff will be nice.

As of 9pm tonight these would be my top picks, with pics in totally screwed up order:

1) Bachelor-Lava-Edison
    2) Bachelor-Todd Lake-Metolius/Windigo-Mrazek (aka - Bachelor-to-Bend)
    3) Swede Ridge-South Fork-North Fork-Farewell
    4) Trail 99 (actually near Sisters)
    5) Round Mountain/Lookout Mountain (actually near Prineville -- kinda boonies so might not be the best solo if you're not completely self-sufficient))
    You wouldn't show da man Gray Butte/Smith Rock? The trails you mention are epic, but I would definitely "wow" a visitor by showing him Smith Rock, the flowy Gray Butte trail and the incredible Cascades views from Gray Butte.

I've never done your numbers 4 and 5, so I can't attest. They may trump Smith Rock. But it is definitely one of the uniquer (if that's a word) rides in the area.

I'm actually on the Oakridge side, and the rides Sparty mentioned are all epic. If you get a chance to do the Sawtooth Struggle, go for it. It was the toughest 14 mile ride I will ever do.

As for camping in Oakridge with kids, I recommend Packard Creek campground (easy swimming access on Hills Creek Reservoir).

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend

But Holy Shikes! Is that Kwol Butte in pic 2? Something off Edison/Lava? Never done that trail, but it's on the docket for this year. Even more so now after seeing that pic. Yowza.

Also haven't ridden Lookout in the Ochoco's. Care to lead the way sometime in the next month or so?
    Pic 2 is in the Ochocos. Here's the write-up:
    Ochoco Mountains Ride Report

Lava-Edison is one of the best routes in the immediate vicinity, if not the very best.

I'd love to show you either or both this summer.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Gray Butte would be great too! That's more of a 2 hour ride, so I didn't list it since he wanted 3-4 hours. It's definitely a nice place though.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Gray Butte would be great too! That's more of a 2 hour ride, so I didn't list it since he wanted 3-4 hours. It's definitely a nice place though.
    You could do 2 laps.....
    Tuff Schist

meatier showers

Yeah!

Lava-Edison is one of the best routes in the immediate vicinity, if not the very best.

The pic in question is of a testy rocky section near the top of Lookout Mountain in the Ochoccos. Wreckless and I camped near there (at picturesque Walton Lake) last year in June and rode Round Mountain one day and Lookout Mountain another. Excellent rides, excellent singletrack, excellent views... an absolutely stunning area.

I highly recommend riding both Round & Lookout Mountain trails, but wouldn't do them both in the same day unless I was planning a rest day the next day (or unless I was fully trained & 'Cream Puff ready,' which I ain't this year by any means ).

--Sparty
    Last edited by Sparticus; 05-31-2006 at 10:37 PM.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Hoops - Big and Small

Observations by an Visitor

I had an incredible visit to Bend over Memorial weekend - I'll chime in from a visitors perspective. Smith Rock to Gray Butte can be a 4 hour ride if you want to make it one.

I don't think a local would want to start from the State Park (fee parking) where a visitor might not mind the fee. The Smith Rock is kind of a must see for visitors - very impressive.

Correct me if I'am wrong but looping Skull/Gray/ and the front and backside of Smith Rock (throw the radio tower climb in for good measure) all together would give you 3-4 hours. This includes some dirt road stuff to get to the single track.

Couple of pics from our Smith Rock experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thanks for all the suggestions

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I reallize I am getting ahead of myself abit by posting so early, but winter has come to Canberra, Australia and I can't stop thinking about the "big trip" coming up.

I'll post again when I get to Oregon around the 23rd of July to see if anyone is free to come along for a ride. I definitely think I will head to Bend first then Oakridge. Thanks again for the advice.

Aaron

mtbr member

Gotta recommend Lookout!

I once did a solo on Lookout Mtn while the GF and a friend of hers hung in camp, or hiked. Was a great ride, just looked at the map and exercised due caution on the descent. Good map-reading skills (and some common sense) are required for solo trips.

The only blot on the day was the bulging disc in my back, since surgically repaired. I still had a great time, and the views of the Cascades are worth the trip. 14 years ago and I still remember it well. Go for it!

Flaps

mtbr member

Not northshore, caz

Caz must have been remembering a night ride from the wrong end of the year when he said Northshore, when he actually meant North Fork trail, 'cause Northshore is nearer to Lowell, poison-oak-infested, and blackberrie thorns to open your skin to let the PO have a free path to start you to itching faster. Now the North Fork night ride....that was a different story.

Do bring a good light. As you can tell, the Disciples of Dirt are all about night riding, all year, all weather. Nobody said we were sane..

Flaps

Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    Mudflap failed to mention Oakridge's northshore and the freeride park in shiggy's front yard. Surely I kid you.
    Really your best bet for the best rides is to hook up with some locals who most likely will be riding the days you'll want to ride. May I suggest you bring a good light for a night ride? May I also suggest bug spray for a skeeter free camping experience. And lastly may I suggest you post up on yahoo group "disciples of dirt" where you will greaten (is that a word?) your chances of hooking up with locals for group riding.

We always look forward to riding with fresh meat/tofu as we hope you look forward to riding with us.

c

They turned me loose
    Just stay in Oakridge the whole time.

Gittyup!
    Excellent. Lookin' forward to it.

Why I haven't done Lava-Edison, I just don't know. I've done the Sparks to Elk Lake ride then back up the pavement, but never the Edison section. Looks like a great time.

Thanks for the link to the Ochoco trip as well. Inspiring. I think I'd like to break up what you did in to 2 days though. My legs begin to hate me around the 5 hour mark and my lines get sloppy. Which reminds me... I need to renew my health insurance policy!

You racin' Pickett's, Nat? Anyone? W/ this rain, the course should be great.

mtbr member
    92 days before my Titus meets the trails of Central Oregon for the first time. Sigh.

Singletrack Addict

Round/Lookout

Sold!
    Last edited by Snake Muesl; 06-01-2006 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Wrong responder

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Excellent. Lookin' forward to it.

Why I haven't done Lava-Edison, I just don't know. I've done the Sparks to Elk Lake ride then back up the pavement, but never the Edison section. Looks like a great time.

Thanks for the link to the Ochoco trip as well. Inspiring. I think I'd like to break up what you did in to 2 days though. My legs begin to hate me around the 5 hour mark and my lines get sloppy. Which reminds me... I need to renew my health insurance policy!

You racin' Pickett's, Nat? Anyone? W/ this rain, the course should be great.
    On the trail map Bach-Lava segment looks like a flat, straight line, and the section from Lava to Edison also looks like stright up a hill then straight down. I avoided this trail for the longest time because it looked bland on the map. Boy was I wrong. Todd (tberg) kept trying to talk me into pretty much all of 2004 but I was being a ninnie.

I'm registered to race in the SS Open category tomorrow. You?

Gittyup!
    I'm registered as pit crew for my wife who beat me at the last Pickett's Charge race I was thinking about racing my cross bike, but it's out of commission at the moment as I put the der. through the rear tire and created a massive mess. Still putting 'er back together. That's my excuse anyway If you look for a female in a blue and white Bend Bike 'n Sport jersey in the "pit" area, I shouldn't be far away. It'd be nice to put a face to the name. Do you ride for Web?

I thought the same when looking at the map (about the Lava segment), but have heard it's a fun section... just highly under-utilized. Can't wait to try it out.

On the trail map Bach-Lava segment looks like a flat, straight line, and the section from Lava to Edison also looks like stright up a hill then straight down. I avoided this trail for the longest time because it looked bland on the map. Boy was I wrong. Todd (tberg) kept trying to talk me into pretty much all of 2004 but I was being a ninnie.

I'm registered to race in the SS Open category tomorrow. You?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I'm registered as pit crew for my wife who beat me at the last Pickett's Charge race I was thinking about racing my cross bike, but it's out of commission at the moment as I put the der. through the rear tire and created a massive mess. Still putting 'er back together. That's my excuse anyway If you look for a female in a blue and white Bend Bike 'n Sport jersey in the "pit" area, I shouldn't be far away. It'd be nice to put a face to the name. Do you ride for Web?

I thought the same when looking at the map (about the Lava segment), but have heard it's a fun section... just highly under-utilized. Can't wait to try it out.
    Yep, I'll be in a Web jersey on a white On-One 29er hardtail. I'll look for you guys.

NedwannaB

Hey Sparticus?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Hey Aaron,
    1) Waldo Lake (+ The Twins if you have leftover energy)
    2) Sawtooth Struggle Loop (Camp at Timpanogas Lake)
    3) Middle Fork Trail, top to bottom
    4) Alpine Trail (start/end in Westfir, climb Rd. #1910)
    5) Bunchgrass (as much as you like; much as you dare)
    6) Larison Creek + Larison Rock (sweet taste of Oregon)
    7) Moon Point (light day)
    8) Suzanne Lake (light day -- camp at Timpanogas Lake)
    --Sparty
    AKA Davey Sprockett, King of the Wild Front Tire
    Disciples Of Dirt Founder, 1987
    Will we be hitting some of these jewels while partaking in the MTB "O" gathering this August? Hopefully the miSSquitos will be heading south before the 18-20th??

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Will we be hitting some of these jewels while partaking in the MTB "O" gathering this August? Hopefully the miSSquitos will be heading south before the 18-20th??
    If you have the legs, you can do them all at MTBO. Actually, about 6 of them are definitely on the officially unofficial ride list, but they are all available. Mosquitos should be dying out by MTBO, unless we keep getting cold rain in Oregon thru June.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast