highly visible

Today's example of how far removed Portland's bike culture is from mountain biking...

Just for the enjoyment of Oregon's mountain bike community (most of which is not in Portland) I just wanted to post an example from BikePortland.org of just how distant our city's "bike culture" is from anything having to do with mountain biking ...

Today there was a discussion on BP about new "rumble strips" that have been installed on the westbound viaduct to the Hawthorne Bridge. Which, admittedly, is a bad design that leads to cyclists riding at 20+mph speeds on a narrow path past a bus stop, and then around a blind curve just as another path tees in from the right. This is one of the worst aspects of a bridge (which I myself ride twice a day) that sees 5000 to 8000 cyclists a day, and plenty of conflicts.

So four new strips of thermoplastic, 1/8" tall, have been placed across the viaduct's bike lane just before it ramps up onto a path shared with pedestrians. I'm kind of agnostic as to whether the strips are a good or bad idea (I think everyone agrees they are a band-aid to a fundamentally bad design), but what blows me away as a mountain biker is some of the reaction to it.

I can't imagine anyone with the slightest MTB aptitude complaining about how a 1/8" bump hurts their butt, but a lot of people are doing that on BikePortland today. A lot of people are even swerving out of the bike lane just to go around the bumps. One guy even worries that the bumps will damage his axles. I am not making this up. For your entertainment:

County installs speed bumps to slow down riders on Hawthorne Bridge viaduct | BikePortland.org
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    It's official: hipsters will bytch, piss, and moan about anything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The sad truth is that most people you see out riding bikes could not hop a curb or make an emergency maneuver if their life depended on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    yup...I remember maybe 6-7years ago there was some gravel left over in the bike lane from a recent snowfall...pretty much at the same point where they put in these bumps recently. Some dude didn't want to ride over the gravel. So he's riding on the edge in the regular lane to avoid the gravel and he get's buzzed by a bus. The bus stops at the next bus stop (just after these new bumps incidentally). The guy gets in FRONT OF THE BUS and starts cursing at the bus driver and won't let the bus continue. The bus driver lets off a passenger. The passenger punches out the cyclist. I wrote on bikeportland that it was ridiculous that the guy was avoiding the gravel and 10x more ridiculous that the guy was 50 years old and having a tantrum in front of the bus and that he pretty much got what he deserved. Man, did I get flamed by everyone on that forum including Maus. Jeesh..

mtbr member
    I think it is fun riding into work every morning over coblestones with my slicks.

CO 2013
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy View Post
    I can't imagine anyone with the slightest MTB aptitude complaining about how a 1/8" bump hurts their butt, but a lot of people are doing that on BikePortland today. A lot of people are even swerving out of the bike lane just to go around the bumps. One guy even worries that the bumps will damage his axles. I am not making this up. For your entertainment:
    Yeah, riding a fattire FS MTB makes riding over things like speedbumps easier, but I wouldn't necessarily want to commute on one.

I don't have any direct experience with these particular speedbumps Multnomah county has installed, but if its anything like cattle grates it could actually be smoother to roll over at higher speed -- or bunnyhop, as 'stink points out -- than at slow speed. I would absolutely ride around them if the distance was too far to bunnyhop at speed. (And, yes, they are trying to get people to slow down.) My guess is that these are also slick as snot when it rains.

Seems like the Einstein traffic engineer who designed this doesn't know **** about road bikes and tried to copy the speedbump design used for cars (except many speedbumps actually have a clear channel down the center for motorcycles). No wonder this is such a cluster...

Quote Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimbers View Post
    So, anyone on a road bike is automatically a hipster?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Some Portland folks are so far removed from reality in so many matters to be fringe and therefore irrelevant. Next.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 11-11-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by john.b View Post
    So, anyone on a road bike is automatically a hipster?
    Anyone 1. In PDX 2. On a road bike is suspect. I'm just playing on stereotypes. I don't really care. It just seems like a lot of whining over some bumps in the road.

mtbr member
    Portland sucks and is gay as far as biking goes (I do like the the new trails at PB though). Everything else can go in the toilet. Roads are for cars. Roadies are gay.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Portland sucks and is gay as far as biking goes (I do like the the new trails at PB though). Everything else can go in the toilet. Roads are for cars. Roadies are gay.
    Hmm, I've never experienced anything gay on my road bike. I guess your road riding experiences have been much different than mine.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 11-12-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Hmm, I've never experienced anything gay on my road bike. I guess your road riding experiences have been much different than mine.
    Pay no attention OHM. Just mouth vomiting due to non-mtb content But, if you want to get technical, just being a resident of Mult. Co makes a person half gay (I'm guilty) and add some lycra and skinny tires to that while always thinking you have the right away, now you got full-on flamer!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    First...I edited my post above to add a smiley, I always forget to add these.

Second...I have to say, I much prefer lycra to baggies. I know they look silly, but lycra is way more functunal than baggies. I do wear baggies most of the time when on the mt bike due simply to peer pressure.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Cannonball!
    I do wear baggies most of the time when on the mt bike due simply to peer pressure.
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Pay no attention OHM. Just mouth vomiting due to non-mtb content But, if you want to get technical, just being a resident of Mult. Co makes a person half gay (I'm guilty) and add some lycra and skinny tires to that while always thinking you have the right away, now you got full-on flamer!
    Hey, I thought we were friends? I prefer the lycra too... it never get's hung up on the seat. I certainly have been called a few names on ye olde road bike though. Glowboy was just reminding "us" mtb types that we are not honored around our fair city. Bikeportland is only good for posting stop sign stings in Ladds. Jonathan needs to quit pretending to mountain bike... or at least never mention it. When he gave Houle a voice he lost me for good. Smile Smile Smile and don't succumb to peer pressure.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    First...I edited my post above to add a smiley, I always forget to add these.

Second...I have to say, I much prefer lycra to baggies. I know they look silly, but lycra is way more functunal than baggies. I do wear baggies most of the time when on the mt bike due simply to peer pressure.
    I know, just teasing . If I was a roadie I would be tighted up as well
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I'm just glad Portland lets me ride anywhere including the roads. I have never experienced a community where people insist I think like them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I'm just glad Portland lets me ride anywhere including the roads. I have never experienced a community where people insist I think like them.
    You should run for mayor.
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Oh I think Charlie is safe. He fills pot holes up.

highly visible
    Funny, I wear baggies when I commute because it's nice to have the pockets for handy access to wallet, keys, phone, etc. But I wear lycra when I mountain bike because baggies get in the way, and I can't think of a functional reason why so many mtbers wear them. Seems like more of a fashion statement to me.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimbers View Post
    If there was no scarf, it was not a hipster!
    Frozen Trails... err

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy View Post
    Funny, I wear baggies when I commute because it's nice to have the pockets for handy access to wallet, keys, phone, etc. But I wear lycra when I mountain bike because baggies get in the way, and I can't think of a functional reason why so many mtbers wear them. Seems like more of a fashion statement to me.
    I do the same. And frankly, I don't see very many people when I mountain bike, versus seeing a lot of people when I'm commuting.

Glow, I know you threatened to post that article here, and I see that you did. I agree the bumps are a minor nuisance at best. I still think they are just another example of poorly thought out and implemented infrastructure on an already poorly designed bike route on the Hawthorne. I only ride that bridge once a week and I hate it. Getting yelled at for going too fast, dodging pedestrians, passing slower riders on the right who never want to get over. The thing is a death trap. Frankly I don't really think that article has ANYTHING to do with mountain bike culture in Portland. That site mainly attracts people interested in planning and commuting issues, this shouldn't be surprising.

mudnthebloodnthebeer

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mforness3000 View Post
    yup...I remember maybe 6-7years ago there was some gravel left over in the bike lane from a recent snowfall...pretty much at the same point where they put in these bumps recently. Some dude didn't want to ride over the gravel. So he's riding on the edge in the regular lane to avoid the gravel and he get's buzzed by a bus. The bus stops at the next bus stop (just after these new bumps incidentally). The guy gets in FRONT OF THE BUS and starts cursing at the bus driver and won't let the bus continue. The bus driver lets off a passenger. The passenger punches out the cyclist. I wrote on bikeportland that it was ridiculous that the guy was avoiding the gravel and 10x more ridiculous that the guy was 50 years old and having a tantrum in front of the bus and that he pretty much got what he deserved. Man, did I get flamed by everyone on that forum including Maus. Jeesh..
    Being a parochial douchebag is emblematic of Portland's ersatz "activists."
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo View Post
    Being a parochial douchebag is emblematic of Portland's ersatz "activists."
    It's that way in every city, it's called 'American exceptionalism'. People who think more toward the betterment of society tend not to hold this character flaw. It has nothing to do with activism, as 'American exceptionalism' can have an affect on many types of Americans, it could be said that the current form of exceptionalism moving across the states has no political affiliation or correlation to a specific type of political ideology as you can find many people from the three major parties that subconsciously perform this trait..
    Frozen Trails... err

B42
    mtbr member

Today's example of how far removed Portland's bike culture is from mountain bik

American exceptionalism is not a character flaw, nor could you blame any of that kind if attitude on that belief. I would expect that the guy in front if the bus saw himself as someone trying to better society by riding his bike and not driving in a car (polluting).

By that same token, there are plenty of people trying to better the world and reduce pollution that are not complete idiots that freak out at a bus because it drove too close to them when they are trying to not crash in gravel.

Some people are just freaks.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##