mtbr member

Tires for MRT this time of year?

I know this should be on the "Wheels and Tires" forum, but wanted to post here due to local request.

So I am currently running WTB T-wolves 2.5 (f), 2.3(r) on my 6" all-mt. sled with a ride weight of anywhere from 215-220lbs. with psi 35-45 depending on conditions.

Are these tires overkill for the MRT and what tires would a guy recommend instead?

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    I know this should be on the "Wheels and Tires" forum, but wanted to post here due to local request.

So I am currently running WTB T-wolves 2.5 (f), 2.3(r) on my 6" all-mt. sled with a ride weight of anywhere from 215-220lbs. with psi 35-45 depending on conditions.

Are these tires overkill for the MRT and what tires would a guy recommend instead?
    If you're used to runnin' 'em, may as well keep 'em on. When I rode it last weekend, I didn't bother changing mine...rolled with Mich 24.1 2.2" tires that live on my Enduro until they wear out. You might appreciate the extra rubber on the upper sections.

FYI, I'm at about the same ride weight as you and it turns out I only had 20psi during the ride...no problems for me. Some of the skinnier guys running skinnier rubber had flats last weekend.

mtbr member

I love the T-wolf 2.5 up front for this trail, it's perfect. For the rear I usually run a M-raptor 2.24 or 2.4 and they do fine. I've never come close to running that much pressure in the T-wolf, I'm usually in the 25-28 range. For me, that's where this tire shines.

Have fun, it's a great ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tberg
    I love the T-wolf 2.5 up front for this trail, it's perfect. For the rear I usually run a M-raptor 2.24 or 2.4 and they do fine. I've never come close to running that much pressure in the T-wolf, I'm usually in the 25-28 range. For me, that's where this tire shines.

Have fun, it's a great ride
    Thanks for the feedback, yeah I love the 2.5 wolf up front too, usually run the front at 30-35psi and the rear a lot higher 38-45psi due to feeling of the side lugs folding over on the rear when cornering hard at speed in the saddle (that flat tire feeling). I may try the M-raptor's in the rear. Do they grip good in the loose stuff? Are you running the race version? Also does the 2.5 wolf feel rambunxious in the tight rocky technical stuff (ei, top of MRT in lava rock sections)? My only medicore experience with this tire so far was on very tight, technical rocky sections where the finese of a smaller tire was needed, but for overall mauling the trail, the thing rocks.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    If you're used to runnin' 'em, may as well keep 'em on. When I rode it last weekend, I didn't bother changing mine...rolled with Mich 24.1 2.2" tires that live on my Enduro until they wear out. You might appreciate the extra rubber on the upper sections.

FYI, I'm at about the same ride weight as you and it turns out I only had 20psi during the ride...no problems for me. Some of the skinnier guys running skinnier rubber had flats last weekend.
    On the flip side..

I was running a set of fairly light 2.1's with small knobs (IRC Serac rear, Geax Warp front) last weekend on McKenzie, I didn't have any flats, we rode from Belknap up to Sahalie and back.. (the roughest of the lava section both ways). I'm about 220 or so in riding gear so I can say you don't have to have big heavy tires for that trail.. . I was probably around 35 PSI.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Does it really matter? So many "all mountain" tires are so good nowadays. IMHO
    (With pre-inserted apologies to the tire gurus here...)

With all the rain this week I would assume putting my winter use 2.25 Geax Blades back on would work better than the the summer use el cheapo 2.1 Bend speed run IRCs I have on now.

Riding it Sunday if the rain backs off. The usual top to bottom shuttle on the way back North from Bend. Leaving the upper T/H at 11 or so. Unless it's still douching over there and then it's Gray Butte/Skull Hollow...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback, yeah I love the 2.5 wolf up front too, usually run the front at 30-35psi and the rear a lot higher 38-45psi due to feeling of the side lugs folding over on the rear when cornering hard at speed in the saddle (that flat tire feeling). I may try the M-raptor's in the rear. Do they grip good in the loose stuff? Are you running the race version? Also does the 2.5 wolf feel rambunxious in the tight rocky technical stuff (ei, top of MRT in lava rock sections)? My only medicore experience with this tire so far was on very tight, technical rocky sections where the finese of a smaller tire was needed, but for overall mauling the trail, the thing rocks.

Thanks.
    1. The Mutrunoraptors (sp???) work very well in loose stuff. At least Bend's defintion of loose stuff. Lots of dust! They hook up very well.

2. Yes, I run the race versions. The 2.4 is actually a lot lighter and has much different charecteristics than the 2.24. I feel the 2.24 is much better sutted as a rear tire due to the increased stiffness of the tread and sidewalls.

3. The 2.5 T-wolf only feels rambunxious to me when I inflate it over 28 psi. I have never liked it in any conditions when I have run it with higher pressures, but in the mid 20's, it's my favorite tire of all time. Lower the pressure and you can just plow over all the tight rocky stuff on the upper MRT.

Todd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tberg
    1. The Mutrunoraptors (sp???) work very well in loose stuff. At least Bend's defintion of loose stuff. Lots of dust! They hook up very well.

2. Yes, I run the race versions. The 2.4 is actually a lot lighter and has much different charecteristics than the 2.24. I feel the 2.24 is much better sutted as a rear tire due to the increased stiffness of the tread and sidewalls.

3. The 2.5 T-wolf only feels rambunxious to me when I inflate it over 28 psi. I have never liked it in any conditions when I have run it with higher pressures, but in the mid 20's, it's my favorite tire of all time. Lower the pressure and you can just plow over all the tight rocky stuff on the upper MRT.

Todd
    Thanks Todd,

So besides the Mutano's in the rear or using another Twolf like I have now, what do you think would be a good tire to run in the rear to compliment the beefed, up front tire of the 2.5 wolf?

I am pretty much saying this, that I love the 2.5 wolf up front, but the wolf in the rear is just alright at best, the only time I really like it is when it is sloppy and mucky, but I also try to avoid riding under those conditions as well, difficult here in the NW.

The only other tire I ran out back with the 2.5 Twolf front is a Maxxis HighRoller 2.35 that provided excellent braking control in hardpack and dry loose stuff, but wore out way too fast, was a little skinny for its size and was mediocre at best in the muck. Any suggestions for a strong, somewhat lightweight (<900g), high volumed, versatile tire here in the NW, where conditions change all of the time? I know the Nevegals are heavily used here due to their versatility and I love the tread on those things, I just think there sidewalls are way to weak for such a high volume tire and tread wears down a bit fast as well.

Thanks, jon.

mtbr member
    Thanks Todd,

So besides the Mutano's in the rear or using another Twolf like I have now, what do you think would be a good tire to run in the rear to compliment the beefed, up front tire of the 2.5 wolf?

I am pretty much saying this, that I love the 2.5 wolf up front, but the wolf in the rear is just alright at best, the only time I really like it is when it is sloppy and mucky, but I also try to avoid riding under those conditions as well, difficult here in the NW.

The only other tire I ran out back with the 2.5 Twolf front is a Maxxis HighRoller 2.35 that provided excellent braking control in hardpack and dry loose stuff, but wore out way too fast, was a little skinny for its size and was mediocre at best in the muck. Any suggestions for a strong, somewhat lightweight (<900g), high volumed, versatile tire here in the NW, where conditions change all of the time? I know the Nevegals are heavily used here due to their versatility and I love the tread on those things, I just think there sidewalls are way to weak for such a high volume tire and tread wears down a bit fast as well.

Thanks, jon.
    That's a hard one for me, I really haven't tried much else on the rear because I like the Mutano 2.24 so much. I briefly ran the 2.4 on the back but really didn't like it. I also have some Kenda Nev/BG that I plan on trying soon, but no real experince with them yet. The only down side I've found with the 2.24 is that it's horrible in mud, but I don't have to deal with mud very often around here.

I can't imagine the T-wolf would make a very good rear tire based on how it rides up front, so I think changing to anything different in the back will help.

Todd

Singletrack Addict

MmmmmMoto

. . . Raptor

S'wat I'm running back there on the Enduro.
    Got a Weir-Wolf up front now. I've got to give the T-Wolf a whirl tho. Tire Pressure is key on the W-Wolf and when it was brand-new in dry pack it was S C A R Y.
    Now that it's broke in and I found a psi that works (palm says it's . . . ), I like this 2.5 MoFo plenty.

I'm a Clyde too and I can't get away with too low psi.
    Moto seems to be a good all-around abuser at stated 2.4.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    . . . Raptor

S'wat I'm running back there on the Enduro.
    Got a Weir-Wolf up front now. I've got to give the T-Wolf a whirl tho. Tire Pressure is key on the W-Wolf and when it was brand-new in dry pack it was S C A R Y.
    Now that it's broke in and I found a psi that works (palm says it's . . . ), I like this 2.5 MoFo plenty.

I'm a Clyde too and I can't get away with too low psi.
    Moto seems to be a good all-around abuser at stated 2.4.
    Sweet, so ya running a 2.4 Motoraptor on the back?

Singletrack Addict

Yup

I've also run it up front.
    I like it in a lot of conditions.

I might be on the McRT on Sunday, but it's still up in the air (gas $ )

mtbr member

Thanks, have a good ride Sunday if you make it out there, I drove through hwy 138 on the way to Roseburg from Bend last weekend and it pained me not to be able to have stopped while in the area to ride due to family obligations. I can't go this Sunday, but hoping to ride the MRT on the weekend of 6/17. Give a holler if you want to carpool or shuttle sometime that weekend.

Jon @ 503-312-3443

mtbr member

So I am thinking of stripping of the T-wolfs for the summer and replacing them with a Moto 2.4 up front and Mutano 2.24 FR in back for summer dry, loose, hardpack and rocky riding. Do you think the Moto 2.4 is a better choice than the Mutano 2.24 for summer rear use around here?

Thanks,

J.

Singletrack Addict

I'm no authority

So I am thinking of stripping of the T-wolfs for the summer and replacing them with a Moto 2.4 up front and Mutano 2.24 FR in back for summer dry, loose, hardpack and rocky riding. Do you think the Moto 2.4 is a better choice than the Mutano 2.24 for summer rear use around here?

Thanks,

J.
    I ran the Mutano 2.4 Fr& Rr a couple years ago and they were OK. It was my first foray into big volume tires and I liked it a lot, but since have sought out tires like the Moto that have a meatier profile. For a long time I was running 2.1 Velociraptors and that as a rear tire has always been just fine.

It may be overkill to run big fat tires on an all mountain 5-inch trail bike, but why not eh? These guys going fully-rigid on their Two-Niners seem to be getting plenty of suspension with big tires all around. For the dusty east Hood alpine stuff, I think a 2.24 is plenty big, but I might want more bite and/or paddles in the tread pattern than I recall the Mutanos providing. The rockier stuff that you might find on the McKenzie or Lewis River or even Three Corner Rock seems to beg me for a bit more bounce for the ounce.

At 220 lbs without gear/water, I can get away with less pressure in the bigger volume tires without fear of pinch-flats. And my Enduro is a 2001 model and really only sports 4.6" travel in the rear.

mtbr member
    I ran the Mutano 2.4 Fr& Rr a couple years ago and they were OK. It was my first foray into big volume tires and I liked it a lot, but since have sought out tires like the Moto that have a meatier profile. For a long time I was running 2.1 Velociraptors and that as a rear tire has always been just fine.

It may be overkill to run big fat tires on an all mountain 5-inch trail bike, but why not eh? These guys going fully-rigid on their Two-Niners seem to be getting plenty of suspension with big tires all around. For the dusty east Hood alpine stuff, I think a 2.24 is plenty big, but I might want more bite and/or paddles in the tread pattern than I recall the Mutanos providing. The rockier stuff that you might find on the McKenzie or Lewis River or even Three Corner Rock seems to beg me for a bit more bounce for the ounce.

At 220 lbs without gear/water, I can get away with less pressure in the bigger volume tires without fear of pinch-flats. And my Enduro is a 2001 model and really only sports 4.6" travel in the rear.
    Thanks for the feedback. So one more question if you don't mind? How is the rolling resistance and rear bite of the Moto's, as far as you can tell? The tread pattern of the Moto looks pretty similar to the Kenda Kinetics, which I think are a decent/good all arounder that doesn't really excel at any one thing, except maybe rocky terrain, but they have minimal trail bite IMO and run small for the size.

According to Shig's tire site, the 2.4 Moto is about a 2.35 in girth, which is about right for me. I personally don't care for tires <2.3 in tread width, since I like to have something to bash around a bit at +220 ride weight as well on a 6" sled, so sturdy sidewalls are important for sure and I have pretty well pleased with WTB tires in that arena so far.

Singletrack Addict

No disrespect . . .

But I'm really not that analytical about it. I tend to seek deals on tires, buying the best tires I can afford and then sticking with tires that I like. As expensive as they can get, I don't branch out and experiment too much.
    As to stated width vs actual width? Whatever Sure I wish manufactureres would list them more accurately, but I tend to go by feel. If 2.5 is really 2.3, but I like the way it hooks up? Good enough for me.
    I know I might benefit from the scientific approach, especially when it comes to psi, but I don't even own a proper guage to test, let alone keep a spreadsheet going of the rides and all the conditions and all the psi running. Palm Says It . . . will hold up under my weight and not leave snake bites.

Now having said that, ya got me thinking.

Yesterday on Falls Creek I found tire magic with the relatively new Weirwolf up front and Moto in back. It was a damp day but the trail wasn't sloppy, the dirt was spongy on top, but firm below: stuck like glue. So today, big tires with fat knobs was the rule. But how well will they roll later in the summer when the dirt dries and gets hard and firm and then dust settles over the top surface? Maybe low profile knobs rule? Maybe by then my big fat knobbies will be sufficiently worn down and be just fine? Hope so, those are the tires I'm running this summer

Thanks for the feedback. So one more question if you don't mind? How is the rolling resistance and rear bite of the Moto's, as far as you can tell? The tread pattern of the Moto looks pretty similar to the Kenda Kinetics, which I think are a decent/good all arounder that doesn't really excel at any one thing, except maybe rocky terrain, but they have minimal trail bite IMO and run small for the size.

According to Shig's tire site, the 2.4 Moto is about a 2.35 in girth, which is about right for me. I personally don't care for tires <2.3 in tread width, since I like to have something to bash around a bit at +220 ride weight as well on a 6" sled, so sturdy sidewalls are important for sure and I have pretty well pleased with WTB tires in that arena so far.

mtbr member
    But I'm really not that analytical about it. I tend to seek deals on tires, buying the best tires I can afford and then sticking with tires that I like. As expensive as they can get, I don't branch out and experiment too much.
    As to stated width vs actual width? Whatever Sure I wish manufactureres would list them more accurately, but I tend to go by feel. If 2.5 is really 2.3, but I like the way it hooks up? Good enough for me.
    I know I might benefit from the scientific approach, especially when it comes to psi, but I don't even own a proper guage to test, let alone keep a spreadsheet going of the rides and all the conditions and all the psi running. Palm Says It . . . will hold up under my weight and not leave snake bites.

Now having said that, ya got me thinking.

Yesterday on Falls Creek I found tire magic with the relatively new Weirwolf up front and Moto in back. It was a damp day but the trail wasn't sloppy, the dirt was spongy on top, but firm below: stuck like glue. So today, big tires with fat knobs was the rule. But how well will they roll later in the summer when the dirt dries and gets hard and firm and then dust settles over the top surface? Maybe low profile knobs rule? Maybe by then my big fat knobbies will be sufficiently worn down and be just fine? Hope so, those are the tires I'm running this summer
    I hear you, I am usually not so anal about all the numbers as well, but always looking for good deals on new tread and found some Moto's for $18/pop and Mutano's $20 so wanting to check them out. I have had meodicore experiences with buying tires soley for the good deal and then later not liking them that much. That is my biggest pet peave of buying tread that doesn't hold up or meet my expectations. Basically I am a cheap skate, and my beloved hobby of biking burns a whole in my pocket, so always looking for the "biggest bang for the buck".

That is awesome about the ride at Falls Cr., I was up there on Sat. and had a great ride as well, the first ride up there this season. I am hearing you with the knobs, my 2.5 T-wolves were the tire to have up front for sure, and think a 2.4 Moto in the rear would have been perfect. The T-wolf is not as good as a rear tire as it is in the front due to really tall knobs that sometimes fold over when cornering in the saddle, especially with +200 lbs. on it. Thanks for the feedback and enjoy the great riding.

mtbr member

Where are they so cheap?

Hey, I've been following this thread as my Kenda BG/Nev's are about worn to the bone and I'm fairly new to the NW. Where did you see the deal on the Moto's and Mutano's? Performance has the Mutanos for $40 so $20 is a steal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Hey, I've been following this thread as my Kenda BG/Nev's are about worn to the bone and I'm fairly new to the NW. Where did you see the deal on the Moto's and Mutano's? Performance has the Mutanos for $40 so $20 is a steal.
    I'd like to know also, HOOK US UP

mtbr member
    Found this thread on the Best deals forum. Now the question is 2.24 or 2.4?

Mutano Raptor Race 2.4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Found this thread on the Best deals forum. Now the question is 2.24 or 2.4?

Mutano Raptor Race 2.4
    $17.95/ea at greenfishsports.com. Can't beat that, shipping is pricey though.

mtbr member
    $17.95/ea at greenfishsports.com. Can't beat that, shipping is pricey though.
    Nice, Thanks

mtbr member

jenson

Hey, just an fyi that jenson has them in stock and does price match. Not sure what their shipping is, but they have some pedals and other stuff I want to pick up.

jgusta -did you ever figure out which tires to go with? Its a tough call...seems like the moto's are better now, but the mutano may be better in a couple of months. I'm on the fence as well.