mtbr member

tired of riding alone!

returned to the area after a long absence.ive been riding for a couple of years.looking for groups,clubs around salem/keizer,linn,marion,polk counties. i sure could use some riding buddies!

mtbr member
    Not sure if they're still around, the Merry Cranksters were in that area.

Also check out DOD, a little furthur south though.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member

tired of riding alone

thank you for the info old house man.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    im from stayton

mtbr member

reply to ksearsor

hey ksearsor! nice to hear from you. i see you like black rock.perhaps we can get together and go and you can show me the ropes? im up here in gates riding the monument trail system. ever been? hope to hear from you. jekjr51

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    no, never heard of the monument trails, ive been riding the shellburg trails lately, im trying to get my girlfriend into riding, but im looking for a more aggressive rider to chill with too.
    were going to ride around Tillamook next weekend, but the weekend before thanksgiving im hoping to get another run up at shellburg before the snow really starts in on us.

mtbr member

response to ksearsor

never been to shellburg would like to check it out. always up for a ride! keep me posted.

Making fat cool since '71
    We, DOD, would always love to show you around if you venture south! The Cranksters kinda fizzled sort of. The folks still around are good folks and you can still search out the Cranksters I think, there's something still up, maybe an email list or something.

If you want a drive south (Eugene/Lane County) and ride look us up and welcome back!

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jekramerjr51
    never been to shellburg would like to check it out. always up for a ride! keep me posted.
    BTW If you click the "quote" button you do not need to write "response to..."
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    thanks for the info will check out dod and the cranksters HONK,HONK! oh yea, cute kid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    We, DOD, would always love to show you around if you venture south! The Cranksters kinda fizzled sort of. The folks still around are good folks and you can still search out the Cranksters I think, there's something still up, maybe an email list or something.

If you want a drive south (Eugene/Lane County) and ride look us up and welcome back!

Brock...
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/merry_cranksters/

Pretty much dead though. The club never achieved critical mass.

mtbr member
    There is strong number of members of BRMBA(Black Rock Mountain Bike Association) in the Salem/Keizer area. I encourage you to check out our website at "brmba.org" and you can post in our message forums to ask if people want to ride. What type of riding do you do, because there are several other areas on the west side of the Willamette Valley that have extensive xc trails. I'm trying to ride several times a week, so feel free to contact me if you need someone to ride with.

mtbr member
    I live in gates and i ride the monument trail system.I want to check out shellburg falls also.I have.been checking out the brmba web site.Blackrock looks pretty itense! The beginner/int trail will probly be enough for me.How are the trails this time of year? Thanks for any input you can give.I hope to hear from you again Monkey.

mtbr member
    Hmm, the trails this time of year are well.... wet. Much like everywhere else this time of year our trails are soaked, but we've tried to create trail systems that are ride able year round. Yes, there are puddles, but no more than other trails and far less than others. Our trails are somewhat beginner friendly as mountain bike trails, but I feel some people go out there expecting smooth gravel paths(which they are not) so we do recommend gloves and knee pads. The "body armor" isn't truely a necessity, but there are plenty of opportunities to push your comfort zone and test your skills. Outside Dallas there is a great xc trail system and then again outside Corvallis there are trails on Mary's Peak, MacDonald and Dunn Forests, and just outside Adair Village. Essentially in our area you can pick and choose what you feel like riding and scratch nearly every itch you could possibly have. Like the rest of us you should feel blessed to have so many trails within reach!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRMBA MONKEY!
    Hmm, the trails this time of year are well.... wet. Much like everywhere else this time of year our trails are soaked, but we've tried to create trail systems that are ride able year round. Yes, there are puddles, but no more than other trails and far less than others. Our trails are somewhat beginner friendly as mountain bike trails, but I feel some people go out there expecting smooth gravel paths(which they are not) so we do recommend gloves and knee pads. The "body armor" isn't truely a necessity, but there are plenty of opportunities to push your comfort zone and test your skills. Outside Dallas there is a great xc trail system and then again outside Corvallis there are trails on Mary's Peak, MacDonald and Dunn Forests, and just outside Adair Village. Essentially in our area you can pick and choose what you feel like riding and scratch nearly every itch you could possibly have. Like the rest of us you should feel blessed to have so many trails within reach!
    I do feel bleesed!! After being in so.cal for the last couple of years, it feels good to be back in oregon! I took advantage of the sunshine today and went up to shellburg.I parked at the bottom of shellsburg creek trail,(the gate was locked!)Even tho it was couple of miles up, I really enjoyed the falls! I want to check out blackrock. Later Monkey!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    what trails did you ride.

mtbr member
    I live in keizer and am not familiar with the monument trail system,where is it? Would like to ride it if you're willing to show it. I haven't been to shellburg since July, they were starting to log and some trails were closed, don't know if they are still logging? The good thing about blackrock is that there are trails for all levels.

just like a speeder-bike
    I'd try chatting with the dudes at Santiam Bikes (downtown), too. I'll confess we moved from Salem last year so things could've changed, but those guys (Troy and crew) are about the friendliest bike shop imaginable and would likely have info on any group mt. bike rides.

I'm in Bend now and have better riding options, but I still miss that shop!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    for sure check out the guys at santiam im there all the time, ask for dan, he got the low down on the trails around here and black rock. they have a map to get to the dallas trails just have to ask for it. i want to go check out that monument trail system also, i work at the shell gas station in stayton and there is another guy i know who wants to go check out monument and shellburg too. hit me back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksearsor
    what trails did you ride.
    well,i started out in the parking lot at the bottom of shellburg falls trail system. the parking lot is on fernridge rd in lyons.the gate was locked so i had to ride up the gravel rd. acouple miles later i had only gotten as far as the campgrounds.i had a forestry map of the trails,but along with my gloves,i forgot my glasses! so,i rode around the trails by the campgrounds then down to the lower falls.walked the bike back in behinde the falls took a few pics.i think next time i will go wagner rd and a c road 100.seems to be a shorter distance to ride from that gate. anyway...................... it was pretty fun. some excercise,some pictures, and 3 tallboys when i got back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaewannabe
    I live in keizer and am not familiar with the monument trail system,where is it? Would like to ride it if you're willing to show it. I haven't been to shellburg since July, they were starting to log and some trails were closed, don't know if they are still logging? The good thing about blackrock is that there are trails for all levels.
    the monument peak trail system is part of the santiam horse camp. its located in gates.the only real draw back to riding this trail now is that the horsecamp/day use area is closed for the winter! it is the center most spot to the whole trail system. now you have to park at the bottom at the dayuse parking area and ride up to the top.its about a 4 mile climb up to the begining of the trail they call rabbit hole trail.a pretty challenging trail,for me anyway(51yo clydsdale,ha ha) very slick,lots of roots,a lot of leaves on the trails making the trail hard to distinguish.for me there are quite a few bike n hike sections.the plus side is that it is only a couple miles from my house to the start of the climb.the climb is worth the ride down.if any of that sounds good to you come on up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRMBA MONKEY!
    Just remember that Mary's peak is closed to bikes from October 15 to April 15. Dallas is a great place to ride in the winter, it takes a little while to get to know the system. But the map should help with the overall layout, you might run into a new gravel road or a clearcut where there used to be a trail but the roads on the map are permanent roads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    Just remember that Mary's peak is closed to bikes from October 15 to April 15. Dallas is a great place to ride in the winter, it takes a little while to get to know the system. But the map should help with the overall layout, you might run into a new gravel road or a clearcut where there used to be a trail but the roads on the map are permanent roads.
    thanks for the info,brandon