mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Tire recommendation for Bend area

I'm moving to Bend and am looking for recommendations for tires that excel in the area. Moving from a muddy, rooty, rocky place so I'm guessing I may want to switch them up. I ride a 29er.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ride what ya got, I've got Nobby Nic's on my Tallboy and they work fin but are expensive and probably won't get them again just due to the price. Mtn. Kings work well, depends on the type of riding you do.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I run Rocket Rons and rike them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Leave the big knobs at home. Faster tires are way better for bend trails. Look for something with high volume and lower tread If you are buying new, the maxxis ikon 2.35 should be perfect and was just released.

mtbr member
    Any tire you see with low height tight packed knobs in the center will be great here.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ardents, Hans Dampf, Nobby Nic, Race Kings

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwdog View Post
    Ardents, Hans Dampf, Nobby Nic, Race Kings
    With the flatness in Bend, Hans Dampf's would be pretty heavy and slow in my opinion, and Nobby Nic's were slow for me in the rear. I guess it depends on what you are after, but for me, if the tire is slow rolling around here, they are a "drag" haha.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I used 2.2 Fast Traks (Control version) front and back last year, but I didn't like the tire on the front as the season deepened into the summer. The tire tended to float over the sand, rather than penetrate to the hard-pack. Note, this was not an issue early in the season. This year I am going to try a Ground Control 2.3 on the front and keep the 2.2 Fast Trak on the rear. I hope the GC on the front will improve traction when the dirt gets loose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    I used 2.2 Fast Traks (Control version) front and back last year, but I didn't like the tire on the front as the season deepened into the summer. The tire tended to float over the sand, rather than penetrate to the hard-pack. Note, this was not an issue early in the season. This year I am going to try a Ground Control 2.3 on the front and keep the 2.2 Fast Trak on the rear. I hope the GC on the front will improve traction when the dirt gets loose.
    Those are great tires. The Ground Control is even pretty darn fast on the back.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    wtb wolverine or mutano. low profile, good stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beerrun View Post
    Agree'd the Mutano boooogies around here that's what I am running normally.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    While on the subject of tires for Bend what would be a good enduro racing tire for the race in two weeks?
    I'm kind of a schwalbe fan so I was thinking Nobby Nic. I know for a fact that I don't like hans dampf
    Also considering the Maxxis Ardent
    I have a Spec Purgatory sitting around that I might use as a rear and then pick up something for the front out of the two tires I'm considering or any other recommendations.
    The tires I normally use for trails west of the cascades are a little too big, slow and nobby for the sandy dry conditions of bend.
    What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by beerrun View Post
    How many miles do you guys get on these before you start to feel a reduction in grip from wear?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    While on the subject of tires for Bend what would be a good enduro racing tire for the race in two weeks?
    I'm kind of a schwalbe fan so I was thinking Nobby Nic. I know for a fact that I don't like hans dampf
    Also considering the Maxxis Ardent
    I have a Spec Purgatory sitting around that I might use as a rear and then pick up something for the front out of the two tires I'm considering or any other recommendations.
    The tires I normally use for trails west of the cascades are a little too big, slow and nobby for the sandy dry conditions of bend.
    What do you guys think?
    Since you like Schwalbes, Nics are good. You can also run a ralph in the rear if you have snakeskin versions. Ardents would be good too in the 2.25 variety.