Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tire recommendation - Bend, OR

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  willem3 
#1 ·
Here's a copy/paste of a thread I posted on the Wheels and Tires forum....any help would be appreciated.

I am a SS / XC rider and I need to replace the tires on one of my geared bikes. I'm looking for the best recommendation for where I live - Bend, OR (been here only a year.) The riding conditions here are characterized as high desert: dry, sandy (often very powdery and deep), rocky, wetter conditions in early season conditions, snow late in the season, etc. There are quite a variety of conditions to consider, but it is mostly dry and sandy. With this in mind, cornering; especially on the descent, is a major consideration as it is often very, very loose. I'll start the riding season between 175 & 185 lbs. and will be in the upper 160s within a month. All of my bikes run 26" wheels. Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
I'm the last person you should listen to: I just moved here. As in 1.5 weeks ago. As in when all the snow hit. So my bike is feeling quite frustrated -- like a caged beast in candy-land.

That said, I've been coming here for summer riding for several years. I love using my Specialized Roll-X Pro's (26x.2.0) out here. Excellent cornering, great in sand; still fast rolling. (You may have a hard time finding the "pro" version -- I'm sure the S-Works version is good too.) Good luck.

#5 ·
For my personal preference, 2.0 Maxxis Crossmark LUST rear & 2.3 Maxxis High Roller LUST front. The combo is a bit heavy, but damn near perfect for all seasons for me around here. Riding a 5-Spot built up at 30lbs. Cornering being the main concern, you will love the High Rollers ; ) My summer after work weekday loop is usually COD, GS, Storm King & back down COD (rarely anybody on these during the week, Phils is a full rush hour after work), so puncture resistance is a concern with all the techy sections, which this combo does so well on, though I do use Stans & run tubeless.

#7 ·
My 2 cents...

I have used the Mutano Raptor 2.4 on the rear with a 2.4 Motoraptor up front. This was a great combination last summer. I switched to Maxxis Ignitor 2.35's for the late fall. I will most likely start the firm, fast spring season on these as well. Then switch to the other set for summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.