mtbr member

Timberline to Town Trail - Ride Report

I haven't heard much chatter about this one, so here you go...

We rode this on Sunday and I have to say, it is excellent. It is apparent that the FS (I assume they built this) had bikes in mind when the singletrack was laid down, it's buff and flowy with plenty of bermed corners, definitely a breath of fresh air over the Glade and Alpine Trails. And for the record, I do enjoy a rocky tech trail, but didn't care for the Glade or Alpine. Plus, the name itself, alludes to the direction of travel, it's not called the Town to Timberline Trail. It's a bit loose in spots, but once Fall rolls around and the rains return, the tread will improve.

The upper TH is just west of the lodge and bellow the Magic Mile chairlift. Total mileage is 5.5 miles to the intersection of the Crosstown Trail.

We combined this with a morning of skiing at Timberline. On the way to the mountain we dropped a vehicle off at the lower TH of the Pioneer Bridal Trail. We combined the Timberline to Town Trail with the Crosstown Trail and Pioneer Bridal Trail. I'm not sure about the combined mileage, maybe 12, but the total elevation loss was 4500'.

I did find myself waiting for a long strait away to really let off of the brakes, but there never was one. I'm not complaining though, this trail is an excellent addition to the area, and IMO, easily rivals the trails at Sandy Ridge, but with much less tech.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 08-20-2012 at 11:52 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Is the lower trail intersection easy to find, does it split off of Crosstown or Glade? I am thinking of doing an out and back, although if there are any easier non-shuttle routes to the top I am open to suggestions

mtbr member
    Whoever built this trail did a great job with signs. All of the intersections are signed with the trail name, destination and mileage. The Timberline to Town Trail intersects the Crosstown trail at the Glade Trail. I believe the sign had this about .5 miles or so above Govy.

It worked out great for us to do this as a shuttle including the Pioneer Bridal Trail, but this would also be a great out and back, there's nothing all that steep. If I were to do this as an out and back, I'd just start at Timberline.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I rode it on Sunday. Much improved from last year with the addition of the new berms. One of my favorite rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the info. Might start my ride down low (at Camp Creek campground) so I can get the climb out of the way first

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    If I were to do this as an out and back, I'd just start at Timberline.
    Isn't that a shuttle? Or are you saying you'd start at T-line, ride down to wherever, then back up to T-line? I'd do it the other way and have my downhill to finish.

Thanks for the 411 BTW. I'll be camping at Mt. Hood Village for 6 days over Labor Day weekend and plan to hit some Sandy Ridge. I may add T to T to my ride time.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Metalheadbikerider

Great trail

A very welcome alternative to Glade! I start at Rd 32 outside of Rhododendrun, ride up the Still Creek Trail and gravel road up to Govey Camp. From there I climb the old road up to Timberline, and then singletrack all the way back down. Makes for a great 30+ mile loop.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I prefer riding up it as an out and back as opposed to taking either of the paved roads to the top. Its very consistent but not all that steep and its nice to climb on singletrack.

I've started at Camp Creek as well and gone up Still Creek Rd. and then over to Govy and up and the down the T-T trail, down the crosstown trails and the finish with the Pioneer Bridal Trail. With roughly 3800 ft. of vertical between Camp Creek and T-Line it was a long ride and definently wore me out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi, I'm new here. I was really happy to find this info on some local trails. I've been trying to find trails to ride on the fs website, and its hard to tell if its anything we really want to ( or can) ride. I was curious about the trails around gov't camp like crosstown and t to t. Are they pretty crowded on weekends?

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by joynt View Post
    Hi, I'm new here... I was curious about the trails around gov't camp like crosstown and t to t. Are they pretty crowded on weekends?
    Actually, not that crowded earlier in the morning for a Sat or Sun ride. Things pick up later in the day. Weekdays are best. Definitely trails worth exploring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Saturday 9/8 there is an enduro race on t to t, glade, and part of bridal trail. So the trails will be very crowded.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I rode the lower part of the Pioneer Bridle Trail recently and thought it was a great trail for beginners. A nice workout climbing from lower trailhead to HWY 26 crossing. Lots of traffic on HWY 26. Looked scary. Turned around and went back, Fun ride down.
    Last edited by joynt; 09-10-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: missed a word

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I also tried the Sandy River Trail recently. The forest service website rated it as easy. For us, it was unridable. We totally sunk in the sand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Plus, at the upper trailhead on the Sandy River Trail (also the trailhead for Ramona Fails, etc) some guys were shooting, despite all the hikers. It was weird and wrong.

mtbr member
    I also tried the Sandy River Trail recently. The forest service website rated it as easy. For us, it was unridable. We totally sunk in the sand.
    Plus, at the upper trailhead on the Sandy River Trail (also the trailhead for Ramona Fails, etc) some guys were shooting, despite all the hikers. It was weird and wrong.
    Not sure if you actually meant to ride this trail, but I'm guessing you may have meant to ride the Sandy Ridge Trail. They are two different trails. I've hiked the trail to Romona Falls and noticed that a short section of the trail is open to bikes, but I couldn't imagine actually going out there to ride it due to the short mileage, and like you said, the sandy nature of the trail would sap all of the fun out of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Any online maps of the Timberline to Town trail ?

troubled economist
    Maps have been pretty much non-existent for the TTT trail.

Here's the map from the Oregon Enduro Series, which is a decent overview.

OHM/Strader anyone else, pretty much accurate from a general perspective?
    dig...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There is a nice printable map at the bottom of this page.

Pioneer Bridle Trail - Ride Oregon

Parked a shuttle car at toll gate campground. Rode this for the first time last week and it is amazing.

Does anyone know if the trail continues past the campground to Welches?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    nope, the trail ends at toll gate cg.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You can cross the hwy at Rhododendron (by the DQ) and take Henry Creek rd a half mile or so to FR19 and take the trail at the end to lolo pass rd just east of the Zigzag river, also. This gets you to Welches, at least, without riding on the hwy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toowacky View Post
    Maps have been pretty much non-existent for the TTT trail.

Here's the map from the Oregon Enduro Series, which is a decent overview.

OHM/Strader anyone else, pretty much accurate from a general perspective?
    Yes, this looks accurate. In reference to the Enduro series route, I'd personally cut out the Glade Trail section and continue on the Timberline to Town Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Rider View Post
    There is a nice printable map at the bottom of this page.

Pioneer Bridle Trail - Ride Oregon

Parked a shuttle car at toll gate campground. Rode this for the first time last week and it is amazing.

Does anyone know if the trail continues past the campground to Welches?
    I rode the section of the Pioneer Bridal Trail after crossing HWY 26 several years ago and it wasn't all that fun due to huge loose rocks. I've heard that it's not as bad now and has been receiving some love and is much more flowy. True?

FKA Malibu412
    I've heard that it's not as bad now and has been receiving some love and is much more flowy. True?
    I think it has some flow for a mostly xc flavored trail. It still has some loose areas with larger rocks but it's not extremely rough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    In regards to a map of the T-T trail, Adventure Maps has updated their Mt. Hood Area map to include this trail as well as Sandy Ridge. adventuremaps.net.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Why not town to timberline?

Plus, the name itself, alludes to the direction of travel, it's not called the Town to Timberline Trail.
    I did an out-and-back today and I gotta say that climbing the trail is pretty nice too. 75% middle ring, more enjoyable than climbing pavement on West Leg. In fact it's my new favorite way to get from town to timberline

The way down is, of course, way more fun. It's a great XC descent, tons of flow, great rhythm, nothing too techy (although the brake bumps and sandy loose corners add a bit of challenge - I expect that a good season of rain and snow will firm up the tread).