mtbr member

Timberline to Town or "Crosstown Trail"

Looking to ride this trail on Monday. From what I have read it has been completed but cannot find any info on routes. Any info would be helpful. Links to maps or even just some directions.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

troubled economist
    There's more discussion about it here on the NWTA forum.

From that discussion in October 2010:
    This trail was finished. I have been on the lower portion (we hit it while riding down the glade) and was told that the top is somewhere near the Blossom lift. He described it as the "old mans" glade and it winds down the mountain with lots of side hilling rather than vertical drop/rise. I hope to look for it (hopefully there is a sign at the top) this weekend. There certainly will be fresh cut ground as I was told the top was completed just 2 weeks ago.
    But it's definitely not the same as the existing Crosstown, it's a little bit more than that, although it may link up w/ it.

More from the Oregonian:

"The Mount Hood National Forest's Zigzag Ranger District is also working to complete a single-track trail for hikers and mountain bikers from Timberline Lodge to Government Camp. The trail would be called Timberline to Town. It would be a better, modern designed trail than the Alpine and Glade trails, which were built in the 1930s and are still used as connectors.

The Timberline to Town project is part of an ongoing development that will eventually create a trail built to modern standards between Timberline Lodge and the national forest boundary at Rhododendron."
    dig...

B42
    mtbr member
    There is still too much snow to run the glade, so the top of timberline to town will also be snowed in. There is 109 inches of snow at the lodge. When we were up there a few weeks ago you couldn't see out the bottom windows and the're like 10 feet high. Some of that was drifted, but not all of it.

http://www.nwac.us/weatherdata/timberlinebase/now/

Crosstown might be rideable by now, I know it wasn't a couple weeks ago. I'll post when I hear back from a kid that lives up there.

Pioneer Bridal is ok to ride. You might see a little snow, but nothing to worry about. I haven't been on it, but the kid that lives in govy invited us up to ride it, so it should be good.

B42
    mtbr member
    Pioneer bridal and crosstown are both clear, just ran them both. From the top of ski bowl (the mountain bike trails are open) I could see that about 2/3rds of the glade is open. Not much longer to wait.

B42
    mtbr member
    The glade is finally rideable from Timberline down. So the timberline to town should be as well. Last year when I went looking for it, the trailhead I found where I was told to look had bikers only posted. This was just past the bottom of the mile where the glade starts. I'll see if I can get better info on the top entrance and post if I do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Go ride it!

I rode this today, starting from the Pioneer bridle trail head. I went up westleg road towards Glade and wasn't able to find the Timberline to Town trail head. It looks like it might be higher up and still snowed in. I went down glade, and it crosses the Timberline trail about 1 mile down. You need to keep your eyes open since the trail is not yet marked, but it's there if you're looking for it. I rode up it about a mile until there was too much snow to keep going any further. It will probably be another couple weeks before it's rideable all the way to the top. The ride down, awesome, I think this combined with crosstown are one of the best fast flowy downhills in the state. It crosses or merges onto Glade or some other old logging roads a couple times, but never for very long. It really needs to be ridden some more to wear in a line and knock some of the pine needles and cones off the trail.
    If you want to do it as an out and back, it's not a bad climb at all. From where Glade intersects Crosstown trail, it just forks off to the right when looking up glade trail. No signs yet, but really obvious from the bottom of glade.
    Here's a pdf map, which doesn't show Timberline trail, but you can use it to get around the area:
    http://www.mthoodterritory.com/packets/ride_12.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here's the Garmin Connect for the ride. The Timberline trail is marked as laps 1 and 3.
    Timberline to Town Trail

mtbr member
    Man, that's a monsta of a ride, good on ya. Thanks for posting the info. Hopefully I am all healed up and be able to hit this before the snow starts flying again. I used to always ride up PBT from hwy 26 crossing to Glade out/back, but really want to the check the T-line trail as part of this ride instead. Is part of this trail the same as the "new trails" (don't know the name of them) up above Summit Ski shack by where the Alpine trail starts and climbs steeply before connecting to the Glade about 1mile below the lodge? If not hitting the Glade, I would stay on Crosstown to the furthest east end, ride up the doubletrack trail heading north above Summit lift shack and hook into the "new" trails on the left back down to Crosstown right before it intersects with lower Glade and then down to PBT. I love Mt. Hood riding. An alpine experience without being too far from town, and on occasion will see big black bears munching on berries while up in there as well. Man, I want to get back to regular riding, but this summer has been a "wash" for me unfortunately. Thanks for the ride beta stoke again!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It sounds like it might be the same trail you are talking about since it crosses a number of roads and intersects with glade right at the bottom. It seems like a much longer downhill than the GPS indicates because of all the turns and switchbacks. The cool thing is it looks like it's even a mile or more longer once all the snow is melted - definitely going to try and hit it again in about a month.
    I saw a big black bear running away from me yesterday while riding up Westleg road! The first I've ever seen!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    It sounds like it might be the same trail you are talking about since it crosses a number of roads and intersects with glade right at the bottom. It seems like a much longer downhill than the GPS indicates because of all the turns and switchbacks. The cool thing is it looks like it's even a mile or more longer once all the snow is melted - definitely going to try and hit it again in about a month.
    I saw a big black bear running away from me yesterday while riding up Westleg road! The first I've ever seen!
    Cool, I am always amazed that there are bears flourishing up there in a such a heavy visited and traveled area between Govy and T-line.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just rode this trail yesterday. Very fun and so new you can still feel the shovel marks. Kudos to those who spent the hours (days) building this.

We climbed up Westleg Road to Timberline and connected with the trail via Glade (almost missed it in fact) near where it goes under the top ski lift. It appears that the best way to access it is via PCT just north (quarter mile?) of Timberline Lodge. This is what I would recommend since it is so easy to blow past on Glade.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tclar4 View Post
    It appears that the best way to access it is via PCT just north (quarter mile?) of Timberline Lodge. This is what I would recommend since it is so easy to blow past on Glade.
    I hope your "PCT" reference is not indicating Pacific Crest Trail. That trail is closed to bikes. I know that sucks, but is a different discussion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yes, that is the PCT I meant. From the cryptic map I have this is where the Timberline to Town tees from. If anyone has any different info on how to start the trail (riding legally at the top i'm sure it would be welcomed. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bumping this up to the top again. I rode this trail about a month ago all the way to the top. It does start off the access trail to get to Pacific Crest/Mountaineer Trail, at the top of Glade trail/bottom of Magic Mile lift. I assume they will be putting up signage when it is officially complete. The top needed some more work, was pretty rough with some blowdown. The trail was really dry and sandy back in August. With a bit of rain it should be really good. This will be rippin fast when it is complete.

B42
    mtbr member
    Rode it last weekend. No blowdowns. Was told some locals cleared it out, thanks. There is a small hand written sign where the T2T trail turns left off of the Pacific Crest. Come out right where the glade hits the crosstown trail. If you are looking up the glade from the crosstown it's about 30 feet up on the right.

The trail rocks coming down. 4 of us had a blast.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    Bumping this up to the top again. I rode this trail about a month ago all the way to the top. It does start off the access trail to get to Pacific Crest/Mountaineer Trail, at the top of Glade trail/bottom of Magic Mile lift. I assume they will be putting up signage when it is officially complete. The top needed some more work, was pretty rough with some blowdown. The trail was really dry and sandy back in August. With a bit of rain it should be really good. This will be rippin fast when it is complete.
    Agreed, it has a cool trail feel in the woods off of the Glade as you wind up towards tree-line. I think it is a great alternative to the Glade with some high alpine'ish riding without just dumping elevation down a super fast mostly washed out double-track (at least 2/3rd of the way down). I rode it about a few weeks ago, just after a bit of rain and still was fairly loose though with snow patches up top. I imagine them to be all gone now of course, but still the trail might only be really rideable for a couple months max/year due to late patches hiding out in the trees.
    Ride On!