Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Obviously Single

Idea! Tillamook: Wilson River Trail Sunday?

I know it's kind of last minute, but this time of year you can't plan very far ahead if you want to dodge the monsoons.

I'm thinking of hitting the Wilson River Trail Sunday, and I'd love some company.

I'd like to ride the whole trail, if possible. At my current level of "fitness", that means shuttling. But that still means about 4 hours of riding.

Shorter options are also easily available. I'm not in training (though I should be), so I'm more interested in having fun than killing myself.

I'll be on my trusty Single Speed, of course, for whatever that's worth. (I don't think it matters, but some seem to think it does.)

Anybody else?
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

meatier showers
    I'd love to join you, Lee. Never ridden the WRT. But alas, I am in training mode so I fear our priorities would be at odds. I'll join you for a ride on WRT one of these days. Thanks for the invitation.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Obviously Single

No Problemo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I'd love to join you, Lee. Never ridden the WRT. But alas, I am in training mode so I fear our priorities would be at odds. I'll join you for a ride on WRT one of these days. Thanks for the invitation.

--Sparty
    No Prob, Sparty. I've been in training mode before -- I spent 8 years doing a big race every year, and almost all my rides revolved around that goal.

If nobody else joins me, your welcome to come and try to drag me along. I don't have anything against a fast pace when the ride calls for it.

[P.S. Maybe some day I'll attempt the Puff. Until then, you're one of my Idols. ]
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    What about next weekend? I've got finals coming up next week, but I'll be done on wednesday afternoon and plan on riding the rest of the week and weekend and wouldn't mind traveling to do a longer ride on WRT, or maybe I'll head for MRT if the weather is good. Either way I'm in dire need of a long bike ride.

Obviously Single

Sat?

Quote Originally Posted by BRMBA MONKEY!
    What about next weekend? I've got finals coming up next week, but I'll be done on wednesday afternoon and plan on riding the rest of the week and weekend and wouldn't mind traveling to do a longer ride on WRT, or maybe I'll head for MRT if the weather is good. Either way I'm in dire need of a long bike ride.
    I have plans on Sunday next weekend, but I'm up for a Saturday ride (i.e. a week from today).
    The Lee-Man

Phatt Tire Luva'
    What time we talkin' tomorrow? LeeMan? And the fact that you're going SS.... let alone the whole WRT.... I was out there about 3 weeks ago. Went from Kings to Elk Creek C.G. - NO WAY could I have ever imagined doing that on a SS. So, if that's your idea of "Not Training" - Oh Boy! I'm in for another butt whooopin'!
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

Obviously Single

10AM @ Keenig

It looks like we might start the riding at Kings Mountain instead of Elk Creek. That saves about 45 minutes and a little climbing, thought it does mean you start the ride with a brutal climb (er, hike-a-bike for me on the SS) that lasts maybe 45 minutes. But that gets the brutal climbing mostly out of the way.

Looks like 2 of us will be meeting at Keenig Creek at 10AM. Our plan is to leave a car there and drive to Kings Mountain, then head back.

I have attempted this once before (in the summer), and we ended up having to bail to the road at foot-bridge. That saves like an hour.

I figure:
    * Kings Mountain to Diamond Mill -- maybe 2 hours?
    * Diamond Mill to Foot Bridge -- Maybe 45 minutes?
    * Foot Bridge to Keenig -- Maybe 1.5 hours?

There are times for just doing those sections (fresh), so if this takes too long, as I said, the road awaits.
    The Lee-Man

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Training mode?

I'm not in training mode and have never ridden Wilson yet. Is it a pretty good ride?

Obviously Single

Depends on what ya like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I'm not in training mode and have never ridden Wilson yet. Is it a pretty good ride?
    There are parts that are kind of flat-ish, near Jones Creek and the Visitor's Center. That's where I did my first Single Speed ride (since I figured I'd have to walk all the big hills.)

There are parts that parallel the highway. I know some folks that don't like being able to hear the cars (though I don't mind -- I'm way above them, so I feel superior. )

There are parts that climb way too much for a little to far.

And it's not "true" single track -- much of it is maybe 3' wide, made by a trail machine (not by hand).

I like it because it doesn't get much use, it's in a rain forest, it doesn't get very muddy, and it's closer to my house than any other trails. (Let's not count Hagg Lake as a real trail, at least in the winter.) And you get to ride right through several streams, and Wilson Falls! (woo hoo)

Since there are 6 Trail Heads (that I can think of), there are lots of options, from an hour to all day.

I suggest you try out any part of it. A good first time taste is to start at Elks Creek (the east end, i.e. the first WRT Trail Head you come to). You park at the road this time of year (the campground is closed), ride 1/2 mile into the campground, then hit trail. it's only about 45 minutes to the next TH (Kings Mountain), but it's really pretty in there, has a decent amount of climbing (but not too much). Then you turn around and return. There are maybe 2 decent climbs (and corresponding descents) in that area.

If you want flat, head farther, to the Visitor's Center (but be warned they close at 4PM this time of year).

If you want seriously remote stuff, the west end if my favorite. Check out earlier threads in this forum for GPS routines, elevation profiles, and times for a loop including the end section.

If you want to join us tomorrow you're welcome. There will be a dog riding with us (and I've never ridden with the him, nor his owner), so no telling how the day will turn out. (Sounds like an adventure, eh!)
    The Lee-Man

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    Jaybo,
    It is a pretty good ride with a lot of options of how to ride it. The best thing about WRT is that it handles the rain extremely well and usually remains rideable in the Winter. Most of it is Southern facing so it only takes a day or two of no rain and the trail seems to be 90% dry. Many do not like it because it is strictly a XC type trail with not much in the way of anything technical. The climb over Kings Mtn to Diamond Mill is a steep couple of miles and you can't really let it loose on a lot of the downhill because so much of the trail is carved on the side of steep hills with pretty extreme exposure. This is my go to trail in the Winter/Early spring and I think you need to ride it to form your own opinion. It's worth the hour drive be on a rideable trail. (I would never be able to ride some sections of it on a SS like Leeman!)

MattSavage
    I'd show, but I did Sandy Ridge this morning and a 40 mile NoPo road loop this afternoon... Tomorrow is a road ride with the GF...

I'm in training mode too... Training to not be a lazy lard ass...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Any thoughts on meeting up with you guys at the Jones Creek T.H. (say about noon, by your estimates) and riding down to Keenig with yah'... I would be doing it as an out and back along the flatter side of things. Went out for what turned into a big day of climbing yesterday on the road bike - and the legs and body weren't too thrilled about that.... I'm sure I'd just be like a fast sinking anchor - if I were to attempt the entire shabang you have set-forth for todays agenda. But I would like to get some trail time in today...
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

mtbr member
    Hmmm, I'm beginning to feel torn between different riding options! I know my fellow DH buddies will want to do some training rides this weekend, but that would most likely include camping out at Black Rock and I've still got this xc itch that I have to scratch, but both are too much fun! Leeman would you be interested in trying to ride the whole trail? I haven't done the whole shebang at once yet and that would be an adventure.

Obviously Single

Cool-blue Rhythm Sorry I missed this!

Hmmm, I'm beginning to feel torn between different riding options! I know my fellow DH buddies will want to do some training rides this weekend, but that would most likely include camping out at Black Rock and I've still got this xc itch that I have to scratch, but both are too much fun! Leeman would you be interested in trying to ride the whole trail? I haven't done the whole shebang at once yet and that would be an adventure.
    Hey man! Sorry I didn't see this Sunday morning. I checked the board before heading out, for just such messages, but I guess I checked too early.

NH4CL (with his dog) and I did maybe 1/2 of the WRT. I must confess, it was because I wasn't feeling 100%, and he was fine with any and all options (thanks for being flexible, Erin!).

As it was, we rode for something around 3.5 hours, got a couple thousand feet of climbing, burnt a few calories, and ensured NH4CL's Ridgeback (sorry I can't remember that name!) had a great time.

I'll post up a couple of pics and the ride data this evening.

Next week the Tilly ride will be on Saturday (since I have plans on Sunday involving disc golf). Let's ride then!

(And I won't laugh at your 5" of travel if you don't laugh at my single speed.)
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

LeeMan

It was a good ride and also good to meet you. Sarabi enjoyed herself, too, but then she always does.

We'll have to meet up again in the near future.

mtbr member
    Don't worry Leeman, that was for this last weekend, and believe me I couldn't tell you how many time I said I couldn't go because of finals this week, but since I'm done on wednesday I'm wanting to ride....LOTS! I really.....really....really am considering a WRT ride on saturday, I'm just trying to work it in with all the other riding that I'm wanting to do during these first couple of days. What time were you thinking of meeting up at, where, and for how long of a ride are you thinking?

Obviously Single

Not yet decided on details ...

Don't worry Leeman, that was for this last weekend, and believe me I couldn't tell you how many time I said I couldn't go because of finals this week, but since I'm done on wednesday I'm wanting to ride....LOTS! I really.....really....really am considering a WRT ride on saturday, I'm just trying to work it in with all the other riding that I'm wanting to do during these first couple of days. What time were you thinking of meeting up at, where, and for how long of a ride are you thinking?
    Hey Monk:

I have not decided on details like time and distance, as I prefer to be flexible, depending on weather, my state of fitness at that time, time available, etc.

Long story short, we can decide as we go!

As far as distance, I am nursing a couple of irritating injuries, so I doubt I'm up for the whole thing yet. (Riding about 1/2 of it last week took about 3.5 hours -- not ready for 7 hours!)

But there are lots of great options, and we can do a partly-on-the-road loop or shuttle to reach more of the trail.
    The Lee-Man

Obviously Single

Pics/Data from WRT West Half

Here's some pictures and data from the Ride Erin and I did on WRT West Sunday, as promised.

Here's Erin and Sarabi getting ready ...

Here's a 3D image, compliments of Google Earth, my Garmin GPS, and my Ascent software ...

Basically, because I was wimpy, we scaled down the ride. We started from the Jones Creek Trailhead, the road East to the Bridge from Nowhere, then back. That took about 1.5 hours. Then we headed West on WRT.

Here's Erin at the Bridge ...

And my own self ...

And, lastly, here's some data from Ascent ...

The Lee-Man

MattSavage
    Is that a pure bred Ridgeback or is there some Vizsla in there?
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Sarabi

She's all Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Nice dog

I have a Golden Retriever; I hear those Ridgebacks can run forever. I would like to ride that trail sometime...is it good for dogs? Away from roads?

Thx,

Jay

meatier showers
    That Google Earth shot looks awesome, Lee. I'd really like to ride that trail with you one of these days. Let me know whenever Jaybo isn't going along. Thanks.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

WRT and dogs

If you ride out and back and shuttle, the trail is just fine for dogs. Diamond Hill can be problematic with all of the ATVs, so be careful there. No worries about teh highway as you stay clear of it.

All that being said, know your dog's fitness level and stamina before attempting the whole trail and pay attention to the paw pads. Ridgebacks do run forever and have great stamina. The breed is meant to run and hunt for days. I've had her on many a 20+ mile ride, including the whole WRT a couple of times. Sure she'll tire some, but she's good about settling into the pace and sticking to it. I've had labs and golden retrievers and am not sure they'll handle the whole trail, they sure would love the occasional stop by the river for a swim.

mtbr member
    Got pulled into a training ride with my teammates for saturday, so WRT is not a happening this time... but soon ugh!

I got nothin'

Trail is clear...

Five of us went out and cleared the couple of downed trees near Wolf Creek and the landslide too. We also fixed a few drainage spots and improved one of the switchbacks. WRT is in the best shape that I have ever seen. Get out and enjoy it!
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast