Singletrack Addict

Three Corner Rock

OK, it's actually in southwest Washington, but a good trail for us folks in northeast Portland.

Went out yesterday to see if I could get to the top. The short answer is yes. It wasn't easy considering the kind of shape I'm in at this point, but I managed.

The trail is in great shape, not a tree down and except for some rough tread and rocky conditions near the top, it is good to go

It needs some brushing to be sure. Right now the sight lines are good, but as soon as spring growth starts to fill in, there will be some blind corners.

I'll probably be heading out there in the coming weeks for more riding and pruning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three Corner Rock-february-19-3xrock-079.jpg  

Three Corner Rock-february-19-3xrock-129.jpg  

Three Corner Rock-february-19-3xrock-130.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow, most years there is no way you can get onto the upper trail. I tried several years ago in the last El Nino year and only made it to the point where the trail goes around the north side of 3CR, due to snow.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Wow, most years there is no way you can get onto the upper trail. I tried several years ago in the last El Nino year and only made it to the point where the trail goes around the north side of 3CR, due to snow.
    There was crusty snow around that corner, but not deep and firm enough to walk up and ride down

You up for a Friday ride out there OHM?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    There was crusty snow around that corner, but not deep and firm enough to walk up and ride down

You up for a Friday ride out there OHM?
    Wish I could do a Friday ride, but unfortunately, I'm a weekend warrior...Damn job.

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I rode this trail once last summer. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it could have been so much better if not for the random shrubs and branches waiting to wack me. I never felt comfortable fully letting off the brakes because of this. The brush was so thick near the top that I really had trouble finding the trail in a few spots. Thanks for the pruning you are about to do. I hope to try it again this year.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the post and pics! How was riding up the last steep +1mile section to the summit, all rideable or more hiking? I used to ride 3CR a lot, especially during the "off season" with at least one summit push a year, but it's been at least a couple of years since I've been up there now, last time ridden left me with a tic in the crouch.
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Like that trail

It is sweet! I need to go to the top. How long did it take you? Would it be safe to take a dog up there? Cliffs?

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    It is sweet! I need to go to the top. How long did it take you? Would it be safe to take a dog up there? Cliffs?
    Starting at Dougan Falls (where the pavement ends), I like to ride the 3 miles of dirt road along the river as a warmup and cool-down, it's 25 miles O&B and it took me a bit over 6 hours. 6 hours for a 25 mile ride? Yes, it's the 4500 feet of total ascent that slows me down. I'm a slow climber, but I enjoy the challenge of attempting all the tough switchbacks and rock gardens.

There's a stretch of washed out trail right before the road crossing near the top that I had to push and a lot of that last mile is in pretty bad shape and had to walk that. But I'd hate to see it get too "sanitized" because the return leg DH is all good with lots of drops and tricky rocks.

As far as your dog, Jay, there's no real cliff danger and the scramble to the rock outcrop itself is optional, but I've been amazed at a dog's uncanny sense of self-preservation when in it comes to their surroundings.

Happy Trails. Hope everyone has the chance to take advantage of this great weather.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Thanks

Starting at Dougan Falls (where the pavement ends), I like to ride the 3 miles of dirt road along the river as a warmup and cool-down, it's 25 miles O&B and it took me a bit over 6 hours. 6 hours for a 25 mile ride? Yes, it's the 4500 feet of total ascent that slows me down. I'm a slow climber, but I enjoy the challenge of attempting all the tough switchbacks and rock gardens.

There's a stretch of washed out trail right before the road crossing near the top that I had to push and a lot of that last mile is in pretty bad shape and had to walk that. But I'd hate to see it get too "sanitized" because the return leg DH is all good with lots of drops and tricky rocks.

As far as your dog, Jay, there's no real cliff danger and the scramble to the rock outcrop itself is optional, but I've been amazed at a dog's uncanny sense of self-preservation when in it comes to their surroundings.

Happy Trails. Hope everyone has the chance to take advantage of this great weather.
    Welp, if you see a Golden Retriever and a silver Niner RIP 9 up there this Friday it is me. I have not ridden that trail in years but I do remember enjoying it. I agree that dogs usually take care of themselves but cliffs can pose a danger to them as they are known to fall--smaller brain thing. I guess humans fall too. Welp, there goes that theory

Tree Hugger
    Just like humans, some dogs are just stupid.

I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yep

Darn double posts. Slow server.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I agree

[QUOTE=Jaybo]Dogs and trails are fun--on weekdays with little traffic--but biking with your dog does pose some risks to them. They do fall off cliffs among other risk. I agree. Plus, cougars and other animal might do some damage. I leave her home more then I want but I do want her around for years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Rode it Sunday.Great shape!I like the debris on the trail surface and that "rough" section just before the road was cleaned and enjoyed!Sanitation in that area would not be appreciated.The last climb to the rock was better than usual as far as baby heads were concerned too.What a beautiful day...ride time from the trail head = 3 & 1/4 hrs.Even though this trail is close to PDX and thoroughly satisfying it is never busy.Go now!Charlie,thanks for the pics and all of your hard work last season it really made a difference.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Singletrack Addict
    Did you get your feet wet crossing Stebbins Creek?

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Just like humans, some dogs are just stupid.

Dogs love a good game of Go Fetch.

FKA Malibu412
    Yes, your feet will get wet so an extra pair of shoes in the pack works but it's not fast nor a dangerous crossing right now. Gotta watch the ticks, though. Found 3 on me and 1 on my pup when we got back to the car on a ride a couple weeks ago.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I utilized my patented "Polly Prissypants" rock hoppin' method to keep my feet dry.Thank's to disc brakes for a great crutch.Cheers,Michael
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Cannonball!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Yes, your feet will get wet so an extra pair of shoes in the pack works but it's not fast nor a dangerous crossing right now. Gotta watch the ticks, though. Found 3 on me and 1 on my pup when we got back to the car on a ride a couple weeks ago.
    Oh great, ticks all ready. This could be an interesting spring!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d
    Oh great, ticks all ready. This could be an interesting spring!
    Ticks are a problem all year long, just not in the summer months. I found a tick on me after riding 3CR mid winter several years ago.

I think we see ticks more in the summer months because people spend more time outside than during the winter months.

troubled economist
    6 hours for a 25 mile ride? Yes, it's the 4500 feet of total ascent that slows me down. I'm a slow climber...
    Slow? More like relentless, a diesel engine. You're no slouch... 3CR is a hell of a long climb.

Thanks for the pics!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Ticks are a problem all year long, just not in the summer months. I found a tick on me after riding 3CR mid winter several years ago.

I think we see ticks more in the summer months because people spend more time outside than during the winter months.
    Ticks are like butholes everyone has one My dog got a few ticks at Syncline one time in 30 degree weather. Tough buggers!