What day are we riding?

For those wondering about Mrazek/Farewell

Took a jaunt to check things out and it is going to be a big before you can ride up in that section. Where Mrazek crosses 4601 just past the 700 spur (5600 feet) there is just a bunch of snow on the trail. In fact, you can't even make it much farther up the 4601 road past that point as the road is covered with snow as well.

And, to top things off, it was snowing hard up there and sticking. Probably won't amount to too much but it certainly won't help things melt any faster.

I would post pics but I left the camera cable at work and I am too lazy to go get it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Dammit!

I guess last year was just a bonus because of the snow pack eh? Well, looks like I may have to ride up Mrazek for the first time just for the ride down. Or, drop Skyliners and then climb the 4601 road next Saturday to make the loop. Any snow from the road down into the canyon? You know, where that funny hunter's hut is and the rock lunge up in the trail catches the un wary off guard?

Any possibilities on riding up 4601 over to the 700 spur and then down Mrazek from there? Seems you said that was a go.

Thanks for the feed back though. Much appreciated.

What day are we riding?
    You might be able to make it down from the 700 spur but you will be heading through some snow until you lose some elevation. I actually ran out of time so I had to drive up to that point. From looking across the canyon, it looks like the snow starts at about the 5400-5500 level. What I was thinking about trying to get in this weekend if the weather and work cooperate is Phils to Voodoo to Phils again up to Helipad to Skyliners then up the road to Mrazek (taking the first road past the 180 turn in 4601) down Mrazek to the southern end of Shevlin Park cross the bridge and take the cutover trail to Bens and back to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sounds like a great loop.
    I'll hopefully be doing the same thing next Saturday but with a start up KGB/GS/Storm King and a loop on lower Whoops for good measure.
    Sounds like all is clear and good except a few trees down on Skyliners and the question about the climb on 4601.

Hope the weather breaks for you.

What day are we riding?

4601 is clear

up until you get to the 700 spur. Here are some pics, first is Mrazek at where it crosses 4601 just past 700 spur. Other is what the 4601 and 700 spur look like if you were thinking of riding the roads to get further up the Mrazek.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks again. I can't for the life of me remember if that's the West side of the trail or the East (Heading down.)? I think it's looking uphill. Per the COTA website, there's still some snow in the canyon as it looks like here. But, if it clears out fast, it may be worth riding up just that much higher. Or, we could take the previous spur that comes in at the bottom of the canyon and just start riding down at the top of the old burn. May have to drive up there next Friday evening after the ride to check on conditions...

Bummer is, that upper 2.5 miles from the Farewell jct is soooo good...

What day are we riding?
    That is the west side of 4601.

When they say "End of Maintained Road" on 4601 they are not kidding. It has gotten alot rougher since the last time I went up there. Still made it without problems but my Suby was not happy with me.

Sorry that I won't have time to ride and out and back through the canyon before Friday to see where the snow starts. If you want to ride that section that is what I would do. Otherwise it is another mile plus riding on 4601 just to get to the top of that section. Leaving on Wednesday for four days on the N Umpqua

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks again.
    we'll wing it the best we can.

I've been planning on doing N. Umpqua too. I know some that have done the whole thing in one day so that's what we're planning on doing. Getting dumped off at the top and just give 'er. Late August/Early Sept maybe?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Thanks again.
    we'll wing it the best we can.

I've been planning on doing N. Umpqua too. I know some that have done the whole thing in one day so that's what we're planning on doing. Getting dumped off at the top and just give 'er. Late August/Early Sept maybe?
    I just got back from riding Bend for the past couple of days and trails are "cherry" right now. I didn't ride Mrazek though, but from the looks of it from top of Skliner's Rd. and the nice warm weather forecast for the week coming, it should definitely be ready by next weekend.

Have fun, it is pre-summer goodness up there, I rode from top of Skyliner's up and down to Phil's peaking at 5,000ft with not a spec of white stuff in site, just a bunch of rider's coming up Ben's and Whoop's as I was bombing down. I am guessing that trails <5,500-6,000ft will be ready by next weekend. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hope so. The weather has really been up and down all week as far as forcasting and it's going the wrong way now.
    But, who knows. I've been snowed on there a few times in June before and had a blast none the less.

Need to fit a gorge trip in this summer too. So, will likely hit you up for info on Syncline, 3corner, Dog, Surveyors, Post Canyon too.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Snow level is a bit higher as of June 3

My wife and I are visiting Bend right now and we were able to get a bit further up Mrazek then we thought. Started to run into some snow on the trail after the double track climb (around 5600 foot level) but were easily able to get to about 5800 feet before the volume of snow turned us around. We were about 12 miles from the Shevlin Park trailhead parking. The snow in the photos above is practically all gone (but don't worry, there is snow just a little further up the trail :-) We were between the first and second crossings of the FS700 road when we were turned around - probably about 1.5 miles or so from Farewell trail.

Oh, and the mosquitos are waiting for you!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I agree. Got back about an hour ago from Bend and rode it yesterday. There's a big blow down about 200 yards up the trail from the 4601 and then snow about 2-300 yards after that. But, melting fast. The short section below 4601 is still relatively unridable so we rode around on the road.

Gray Butte was sick today though. Hit it now! It's in great shape!