Thread: Thnx Cog Wild

mtbr member

Thnx Cog Wild

Made the 5:30pm Shuttle tonight for some Wanoga action!! About half way up we hit light snow which quickly turned to moderately dumping! Can you believe that we had 75 deg. yesterday and snow today?!?! Line choice for today's outing was Funner to S.K. and then on to DRT. Super fun, tacky single track from top to bottom. Gotta hit up our local shuttle's more often - it's only $10 bucks & no shuttle back to an upper car!!
    jjMarS

mtbr member
    I hope to hit the shuttle up next week!
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cog Wild is Cool, good shuttle, good deal, knowledgeable people, and it looks like they are starting to get the shuttle thing going for the season as things open up... cant wait for the first run from Dutchman

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Don,
    When do you plan on going? Got the Stampede this weekend but If you're open next weekend I'd like to ride. Or Next Tuesday night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CmbtDvr185 View Post
    Don,
    When do you plan on going? Got the Stampede this weekend but If you're open next weekend I'd like to ride. Or Next Tuesday night.
    Thinking mid week, as I'm sure I'll still be beat from the Enduro race this weekend, till about Wednesday haha!
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Thinking mid week, as I'm sure I'll still be beat from the Enduro race this weekend, till about Wednesday haha!
    I'm up for a Tuesday ~or~ Thursday Shuttle. You in? CmbtDvr185 - you're welcome to join as well....
    jjMarS

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Never tried Cog Wild. I used my favorite shuttle service (my Santa Cruz Superlight). It left from my house near 10 Barrel and took me up to the top of Farewell trail. I had a blast on the downhill. No fee either on my shuttle service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Have to work all week. I was looking at the Saturday or Sunday 0900 shuttle. What ever is best. I just need a day this weekend to finish a paper. Best 10 bucks ever. Have a beer at 10 barrel at the end.

mtbr member
    I've just learned that CogWild has got a punch card for buy 5 @ $10 per and the 6th shuttle is free. I tried to buy one @ the Shuttle pick-up location today but apparently you've got to pick it up at the office. I'm hopeful that they'll let me apply the (3) shuttles that I've paid for over the last two weeks towards the $50.00. If so, I'm getting mine tomorrow....

My line choice today was TW to SK and then linked into to COD & MG. Super fun line and the trails were in PERFECT condition from Wanoga to town....
    jjMarS

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sweet, I forgot all about that. I'm hitting the 9am shuttle on Sunday.
    If the drop is Wanoga it will be TW, SK, GS, then either voodoo or MG to COD and back into town.
    If it's Swampy drop off, it will be up the west side to SF, tumalo, Skyliners, SK, COD into town.
    Then to 10 barrel for a beer!

Afric Pepperbird
    Sweet, I forgot all about that. I'm hitting the 9am shuttle on Sunday.
    If the drop is Wanoga it will be TW, SK, GS, then either voodoo or MG to COD and back into town.
    If it's Swampy drop off, it will be up the west side to SF, tumalo, Skyliners, SK, COD into town.
    Then to 10 barrel for a beer!
    Don't you mean GoodLife for a beer?? (Sorry, I've never been a fan of 10 Barrel's mediocre beer).

Does anyone know when they plan on starting their Dutchman Flat shuttle? I imagine it's got to be fairly close. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Hey dirt farmer - I noticed that you changed your avatar picture - your new pic sparked a little nostalgia from my childhood.....of course you remember the commercials too.....Hamms the beer refreshing....Hammmmmms!! Ha Ha

Not sure about the Shuttle to Dutchman but it's gotta be gettin' close to time to hitting it up. Swampy is completly open and I heard that some folks lined-up South Fork yesterday - apparetly it was running good with a couple small exceptions of snow patches. I'm defintely ready for some higher elvevation lines!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Don't you mean GoodLife for a beer?? (Sorry, I've never been a fan of 10 Barrel's mediocre beer).

Does anyone know when they plan on starting their Dutchman Flat shuttle? I imagine it's got to be fairly close. Can't wait!
    Last edited by jjMarS; 06-02-2013 at 12:51 AM.
    jjMarS

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nothing beats an Apocolypes. Hey at least I didn't say coor's light. Looks like drop off should be swampy then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjMarS View Post
    I've just learned that CogWild has got a punch card for buy 5 @ $10 per and the 6th shuttle is free. I tried to buy one @ the Shuttle pick-up location today but apparently you've got to pick it up at the office. I'm hopeful that they'll let me apply the (3) shuttles that I've paid for over the last two weeks towards the $50.00. If so, I'm getting mine tomorrow....

My line choice today was TW to SK and then linked into to COD & MG. Super fun line and the trails were in PERFECT condition from Wanoga to town....
    Damn I'm missing out. Ending up taking a mild tumble in Hood River last Saturday, ending with a 3 day stay in the Hood River Hospital and I'm now missing a Spleen. I might be pedaling around Phils area tomorrow, to try and get my blood flowing, as I gotta build back the quart I lost!
    Bend, Oregon

Afric Pepperbird
    Damn I'm missing out. Ending up taking a mild tumble in Hood River last Saturday, ending with a 3 day stay in the Hood River Hospital and I'm now missing a Spleen. I might be pedaling around Phils area tomorrow, to try and get my blood flowing, as I gotta build back the quart I lost!
    So, you're missing a spleen, and wanting to ride within a week??!! Dude, that's outrageous! Props to you! (I think?)

mtbr member
    Hey thuren - sorry to hear about your crash, dude! How'd you finish? I checked the website and they've not yet posted results. I'm thinking of entering the OES Bend race on June 08th....sure wish they'd hold a clydesdale category! Did they have one at the HR race? I'm up for a Phil's rip tomorrow if you'd like some co. Give me a shout. Later...

jjMarS

mtbr member
    So, you're missing a spleen, and wanting to ride within a week??!! Dude, that's outrageous! Props to you! (I think?)
    Dock said I can work my Cardio all I want, as long as I'm not using my abs hard to risk a hernia. Not sure how it works, but I have a "zipper" of 22 staples from my belly button up to almost my sternum, so I'm guessing they cut through my abs? Get these damn itchy staples out today though!
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjMarS View Post
    Hey thuren - sorry to hear about your crash, dude! How'd you finish? I checked the website and they've not yet posted results. I'm thinking of entering the OES Bend race on June 08th....sure wish they'd hold a clydesdale category! Did they have one at the HR race? I'm up for a Phil's rip tomorrow if you'd like some co. Give me a shout. Later...
    If I can get away, I'll probably head out solo today Jeff, as I don't know when or how long I will be able to ride. I do feel like loosing so much blood has made me tired, so today will be an experiment.

You should SO do the race! It's a real blast. If there is any question on how you should enter, just enter Sport or Beginner and have a great time! It's really low key racing. I see it as a good time with buddies riding, and they time you on the descents.

Have you used Strava yet? If so, compare your time down Funner or Tiddly or something, to another person on there who has raced, and you can sort of see your time position by class. Lots of time overlap so nothing to stress on.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thuren, the way it works it a couple of slight variations on this. First they cut you open, somewhat like gutting a fish, cutting through your skin, superficial fat layer a couple of fibrous sheath layers and then through the Rectus Abdominus. Then they wash out as much blood as they can so they can see what they are doing and tie off the arterial and vienous flow to the spleen and pull that little piece of ruptured organ out of there. Then they reverse the process and sew up your Rectus Abdominus and sheath layers with bioabsorbable suture and then stapel or suture the skin.

Generally when your doc says go ahead and get some cardio/ride-your-bike they are not thinking about a rigorous Mtn Bike ride they are thinking about a cardio spin not super high output, just get your heart up to 120 or so for half an hour, maybe 45 min to help flow blood around. Then over the course of a couple of weeks you can increase the time but don't push it to much on the max output by climbing or going over obstacles or taking any jolts to the body as all of those are going to stress the sutures that are holding the end of that splenic artery closed and your Rectus Abdominus and sheaths together, you don't want any of em to pop. The staples can usually come out in about 10 days but your guts are still being held in there by suture and it's gonna take a few weeks (6-8) before your abdominal wall is at about 80% strength. That stuff will essentially scar together, then the sutures will fall apart, then the scar tissue will start to be re-absorbed.

If you do anything like launch, or take any kind of significant torso hit you can easily pop some of those sutures and end up with a hernia which may be bad enough to warrant another trip to the O.R. to fix or may just be a little bump on your belly.

The skin will look healed before the internal structures are strong.

mtbr member
    RTurner thanks so much for the info! That really does help. I like knowing the "details" like that not just "you can do this but you can't do that". So vague.

Thanks again!
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    RTurner thanks so much for the info! That really does help. I like knowing the "details" like that not just "you can do this but you can't do that". So vague.

Thanks again!
    '

Dude get some rest! The trails will be there when you come back. Don't pop those staples or inner sutures or you will be out for a while. Just seeing you on Strava yesterday was amazing, but take it slow. You know the deal anything can happen out on the trails and it usually results in bumps and bruises which are not in your best interest. Hey you can still drink beer right? I'll buy you one weekend after next!

mtbr member
    '

Dude get some rest! The trails will be there when you come back. Don't pop those staples or inner sutures or you will be out for a while. Just seeing you on Strava yesterday was amazing, but take it slow. You know the deal anything can happen out on the trails and it usually results in bumps and bruises which are not in your best interest. Hey you can still drink beer right? I'll buy you one weekend after next!
    Totally thats why I just did a simple road ride around my house. Just wanted to clear out the lungs and FEEL the blood flow. Man, I can sure feel the loss of that blood I had no poop. I'm taking you up on that beer haha!
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Don,
    You want to grab that beer Saturday?

mtbr member
    Don,
    You want to grab that beer Saturday?
    By about 1pm Saturday, I should be landing in Puerto Vallarta, for a week of R&R! I should be pretty dang good to ride come the week after that lets plan something!
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sounds good! Valla con Dios!