Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

are there trails you can ride year round in oregon??

Just moved to south idaho and im not liking it. no trees,mostly farms and the trail system closest to me is not to my liking.

so i'm looking for a good place to move to with my wife and small son

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Lots. It can be tough conditions in the winter, loose and muddy roots and stuff. But l like it. Hood river, bend and Ashland will have the best collection of close year round riding opportunities

mtbr member
    I can only chime in for Bend. Bend is an outdoor and MTB mecca. Mostly in the summer but there are trails on the east side of town open pretty much year round, as well as in redmond about 30 minutes north.

Is there a reason you want to move to Oregon and not somewhere in california or arizona or something?

Not many work opportunities in Bend is why I ask. I work for myself so doesn't matter where I live really.

Bend also has a very organized trail alliance COTA.

It's high desert here, so fairly dry. Lots of pine trees. Used to be a logging town so most trees in teh area are second generation

Cheers.

mtbr member
    The crime looks low climate moderate. Didn't realize jobs were bad there. We moved from florida

mtbr member
    Bend is a great place to live. Consistently rated a top 5 place to retire almost every year. Retire being the key point (you don't need a job).

Main industry here is tourism.

That said it's pretty and you can buy a home for 50% of the cost it was in 06

Making fat cool since '71
    Yep, the job situation blows...unless you blo...nevermind.

Really though...jobs are scarce. Lots of Masters degrees walking around in a daze right now. The Eugene area does pretty well for winter riding. We built/maintain roughly 20 miles of trails 25ish minutes out of town and have three or four other trails that are OK in wet due to build, rock content, luck, etc. There's options. It's not summer time epic stuff for the most part, but it's real mountain biking with opportunity to gain/lose elevation.

Good luck wherever you go.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Hey Brock,

Met you at the IMBA conference. I need to get over there for some rides!

vizsladog, whatever you do don't move to Portland. That's where I came from. Not much in terms of MTB rides there unless you drive hours from town.

mtbr member
    thanks for the input everyone

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Corvallis area is often overlooked, but having lived here for 2 years now, it's pretty great. The MacDonald Forest (owned by Oregon State University) has about 50 miles of singletrack these days, although most isn't on a map. Black Rock is 45 mins away in Falls City, and those trails are built to withstand year-round riding. Job outlook is better here than some other places in the state, with OSU and HP being the big employers (although HP is looking a little weak these days).
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The only MTB benefit I see for portland is that it is fairly centrally located and the lack of a great close by trail system means you tend to ride a lot of variety. I consistently get 5 plus days of riding in Bend/Sisters, Hood River, St. Helens, Browns Camp/WRT, Tarbell, Sandy Ridge, Oakridge, McKenzie, plus one trip to the Umpqua or someplace else far every year. I like the variety. The downside is that I spend most weekends driving 1-3 hours each way to the trails. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have the easy access that Bend does! But, it does seem that a lot of the Bend folks I know don't get out as much beyond the local trails.

mtbr member
    Totally true that since I moved to Bend I don't tend to get out of town as much. It's just too easy to bike here and there are so many trails. I just rode a 30 mile loop South east of town less than 10 miles from my house and it was amazing. First time I had ridden it. It's December!

The close proximity to trails can't be overlooked. I have friends who live in Portland and come here to visit me and are depressed by what's up and around Portland. Hood river is probably the closest/best option. Many of those others are like 3-4 hours away.

I've ridden browns camp which was close. Browns camp was kind of a mish mosh of trails. Lots of overgrown vegatation (which happens anywhere in the valley I would guess), and fairly primative. This was probably 4 years ago. I've ridden surveyor ridge near hood. Nice trail.

Sandy ridge was ok. Didn't like the 3-4 miles of riding up a road before getting on the trail. It's a nice Enduro/sort of downhill place to me. Fairly steep except for the upper sections and lots of switchbacks and butt clinched descents over roots and on the edge of a steep dropoff. Was good, but not the type of ride I'd want to do daily (or even weekly) if you know what i mean.

Oakridge I still have not been to, but got close this summer. I hear it's spectacular.

Rode around Waldo lake which was nice. Very close to Oakridge.

Mckenzie river trail has to be the best ride I have pretty much ever done in Oregon. SO awesome.

Still need to get to Umpqua...

One thing to add about Bend is the ease of the trails. They are all mostly moderate. Nothing is THAT steep here. You can get a really good workout but not have to kill yourself. If you want technical there are trails for sure, but you can choose your poison. It's just very nice to get out and ride (like you would a road bike) on trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It is absolutely hilarious that so many folks have an issue with that little climb at Sandy. Flat out cracks me up! Thanks for the fun. For the OP... DO NOT MOVE TO PORTLAND FOR THE MOUNTAIN BIKING. I like it here, but the off-road situation is awful.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    It is absolutely hilarious that so many folks have an issue with that little climb at Sandy. Flat out cracks me up! Thanks for the fun. For the OP... DO NOT MOVE TO PORTLAND FOR THE MOUNTAIN BIKING. I like it here, but the off-road situation is awful.
    Don't get me wrong. I love to climb. But on trails - not on roads.

I wouldn't even mind climbing UP sandy ridge trail - but I don't think you are allowed?

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post

I wouldn't even mind climbing UP sandy ridge trail - but I don't think you are allowed?
    I agree, it sucks having to ride up any road. I long for the day when there is an uphill trail parallel to Lower Whoops, so we can avoid the dusty pit known as road 300.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Unless you are a big city guy who enjoys some gloomy, mucky weather 8 months a year I would avoid the wet side of Oregon. If my wife and I could make a living on the east side we would move in a second. Bend would be sweet!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Oakride is worth the drive

Totally true that since I moved to Bend I don't tend to get out of town as much. It's just too easy to bike here and there are so many trails. I just rode a 30 mile loop South east of town less than 10 miles from my house and it was amazing. First time I had ridden it. It's December!

The close proximity to trails can't be overlooked. I have friends who live in Portland and come here to visit me and are depressed by what's up and around Portland. Hood river is probably the closest/best option. Many of those others are like 3-4 hours away.

I've ridden browns camp which was close. Browns camp was kind of a mish mosh of trails. Lots of overgrown vegatation (which happens anywhere in the valley I would guess), and fairly primative. This was probably 4 years ago. I've ridden surveyor ridge near hood. Nice trail.

Sandy ridge was ok. Didn't like the 3-4 miles of riding up a road before getting on the trail. It's a nice Enduro/sort of downhill place to me. Fairly steep except for the upper sections and lots of switchbacks and butt clinched descents over roots and on the edge of a steep dropoff. Was good, but not the type of ride I'd want to do daily (or even weekly) if you know what i mean.

Oakridge I still have not been to, but got close this summer. I hear it's spectacular.

Rode around Waldo lake which was nice. Very close to Oakridge.

Mckenzie river trail has to be the best ride I have pretty much ever done in Oregon. SO awesome.

Still need to get to Umpqua...

One thing to add about Bend is the ease of the trails. They are all mostly moderate. Nothing is THAT steep here. You can get a really good workout but not have to kill yourself. If you want technical there are trails for sure, but you can choose your poison. It's just very nice to get out and ride (like you would a road bike) on trails.
    Oakridge is the best riding in the State in my opinion. The town is a total butt crack but the riding is fantastic. Check it out. I live a hour from Sandy Ridge and the new Turntable Microwave Trail is really fun but the road climb is a snooze.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I did not intend to imply a dislike for climbing on your part. I like the road. It's easy...where can you get so much fun for so little effort. Gears, single, big bike... does not matter. A bit over three miles without ever coming around a corner and muttering to yourself, "oh #$*!". You can go hard, easy, or not even pay attention to anything while warming up and preparing for the good times ahead. In regards to an uphill specific trail I believe that the resources are being used in the best way possible. Does anyone out there want to trade Two Turntables or Quid Pro for an uphill specific trail? Plus, unlike a dusty and graded nightmare of a road, this one is paved. Trail is always better, but the system is not big enough at this stage. Part of what I am trying to express is that this road leads to the closest set of trails to my little world. It is a small price to pay for something that I should be able to ride to. Gee, a Jubel can really clear the head, ha.I forgot to mention that the evil road is basically closed to vehicles too.

Cheers, for real... time for a beverage!
    Last edited by poppa#1; 12-07-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I agree, it sucks having to ride up any road. I long for the day when there is an uphill trail parallel to Lower Whoops, so we can avoid the dusty pit known as road 300.
    Agreed!

As well as a trail on top of swede ridge. I hate that uphill on the gravel road.

Afric Pepperbird
    Agreed!

As well as a trail on top of swede ridge. I hate that uphill on the gravel road.
    Jeez, I only ride that long, gravel road but maybe once a year.

It's better to ride up to Swede Ridge via Upper Whoops ---> Sector 16

mtbr member
    Jeez, I only ride that long, gravel road but maybe once a year.

It's better to ride up to Swede Ridge via Upper Whoops ---> Sector 16
    Ha.

I probably ride up this trail 10 times in the summer. It tends to be one of the Deschutes Dirt Riders favorite rides.

I've gone up whoops, sector 16 twice I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    I did not intend to imply a dislike for climbing on your part.
    Cheers, for real... time for a beverage!
    No worries. I know what you are saying. It is nice that it's paved. Got a lot of talking in on that ride up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    2nd that!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Amen! I'm the guy wearing spandex on the racy hard tail and I can't stand that dirt...can't imagine shimmying into some baggies and armor on a forty pound rig and lapping Whoops. Let's push for something more interesting to take our minds off the up!

On another note, to answer the original thread question. I would fully advocate Bend as a year-round mountain-bike area. I always look forward to winter when I can ride Horse Ridge and Swamp Wells. Southern Oregon is another great place to ride. Ashland is good, but there are other places as well that can be ridden year-round in Southern Oregon. As far as jobs are concerned, we don't live in these places to work! Unless you work for yourself, you'll probably have to make some sacrifices to make it happen.

Good Luck and I hope everything works out for you!

COTA member
    Bend is a fantastic place to live if one is self employed and not dependent on the local economy.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Oregon has one Fortune 500 company and Bend has zero. If you are a nurse or a physical therapist you might find work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast