Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    1. Idaho is a pretty diverse state with incredible mountain biking. You really should explore and research it before making a move to another state.
    I really second that. I haven't actually mountain biked in Idaho, but the foothills system outside Boise is pretty extensive, there's some really interesting stuff down in the Owyhees and the higher mountain trails are far less crowded and far more bike-friendly than in the Cascades, where we're constantly fighting with the hiking clubs over crumbs. This summer I hiked some fantastic trails outside of Ketchum, and I would loooove to go back there with my bike to ride them.

I can't really recommend you move to either Portland or Bend.

If the local-trail situation is bad where you are, I can guarantee you it's worse in Portland. There is very little mountain biking that can be considered "local" (though i seem to be one of the few who actually enjoys Forest Park in the winter, and I mind don't the fact that the Sandy Ridge climb happens to be on pavement). There's a great diversity of trails within a couple hours of here, but you always have to drive a ways to get them. If that's also true where you are in ID (I realize the stuff I mentioned above may not be local to you), the situation won't be any better in Portland, though the job market may be. Of course the market's still tight here, but at least it's a big city with a wide range of employers.

And Portland can indeed be gloomy for half the year. It's been especially drearythe last 3 years (this year's spectacular summer notwithstanding!), and even many of us who normally don't mind it -- including my NW native wife -- are getting a little grumpy. At my home's rain gauge we saw 8 inches of rain in October, 10 in November and 6 so far this month. Put in perspective though, that's well over half a normal year's allotment, so maybe we can hope for some drier years coming to even things out.

As for Bend, the riding and the climate are great, but the job market really can be difficult and the pay low, except for a few industries. If employment was better in Bend, half of Portland would move there in an instant. Low pay is the market's way of reconciling Bend's limited job market with the almost unlimited demand of people who wish they could live there.

Actually, for a few years we had our eye on Boise as a potential place to move to. It has a nice dry climate with some semblance of a "real winter" that's missing here west of the Cascades, a lively and fun urban core, tons of nearby recreational opportunities that don't require long drives, uncrowded mountains ... and a much bigger job base than most towns with those attributes. I think we've realized we're pretty dug-in in Portland and will be staying, but my wife and I have for quite a while referred to Boise as "Bend, with jobs." Not a ton of jobs -- things are still tough all over -- but certainly more than Bend. If I were you I'd hang on in south Idaho a while longer before giving up on it.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 12-19-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: updated the rainfall totals
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

FKA Malibu412
    Good thread on Boise v. Bend

OT: Bend, OR vs Boise, ID
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For year round trails, I would try Hood River. You have some trails in WA around White Salmon plus Post Canyon. Dog River might have snow by now although it can be ridden until late November most years. Portland is just too wet so everything is muddy. It's a sort of punishment living in PDX for a mountain biker because of lack of local riding, plus constant rain for months straight (not kidding... months of daily nagging drizzle). Bend is my next stop to live for many reasons, plus dry snow can be fun too, there is the mountain for boarding!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've had killer rides all 12 months of the year in Oregon, but don't expect good conditions every month, every year.

Some of my most memorable rides have been in February.

Sometimes I say stupid things

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw View Post
    I've had killer rides all 12 months of the year in Oregon, but don't expect good conditions every month, every year.

Some of my most memorable rides have been in February.
    Ditto this as I ride all year round here as well (no snow or indoor sports for this kid) and don't care for mud riding. Just got to know when and where to go and be willing to drive some to get your trail riding in. Even though the choices can be slim, most other places don't allow for year round riding. One of few benefits of being at near sea level I suppose.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy View Post
    This summer I hiked some fantastic trails outside of Ketchum, and I would loooove to go back there with my bike to ride them.
    ^^^ Do this! You won't be disappointed. I would offer some trail suggestions but it really doesn't matter. There are so many good trails in that area.

Idaho is seriously overlooked. I wish we had trails like this in Oregon.

Sometimes I say stupid things

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3