Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Obviously Single

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Oregon has one Fortune 500 company and Bend has zero. If you are a nurse or a physical therapist you might find work.
    There actually seem to be two Fortune 500 companies based in the Portland area, a few more in Seattle, and one near Boise: Fortune 500 2012: States: Oregon Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

But there are many more than have a presence here, such as (in the High-Tech Industry) Intel, HP, Dell, Oracle. And there a Butt-Load (tm) of jobs at smaller companies -- there must be, or nobody would have a job in Oregon. Are there a bunch of jobs in Bend? No, of course not. Or it would be even more crowded if there were!
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan View Post
    There actually seem to be two Fortune 500 companies based in the Portland area,
    One of those companies has a division in Redmond. Not sure how to tie this to the OPs question though.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Only two?

There actually seem to be two Fortune 500 companies based in the Portland area, a few more in Seattle, and one near Boise: Fortune 500 2012: States: Oregon Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

But there are many more than have a presence here, such as (in the High-Tech Industry) Intel, HP, Dell, Oracle. And there a Butt-Load (tm) of jobs at smaller companies -- there must be, or nobody would have a job in Oregon. Are there a bunch of jobs in Bend? No, of course not. Or it would be even more crowded if there were!
    California has 53! My point was good jobs are hard to come by in Oregon---and in Bend terribly hard. No connection to the thread as I was responding to another post.

Three Corner Rock is the best winter ride as far as good trails conditions. Also, Trail 400 holds up well. Syncline does okay also but last time I was there it was muddy. The second gate at Scappy was good but closed. I can't think of another ride that has good trail conditions in the local area in the winter.

mtbr member
    California has 53! My point was good jobs are hard to come by in Oregon---and in Bend terribly hard. No connection to the thread as I was responding to another post.

Three Corner Rock is the best winter ride as far as good trails conditions. Also, Trail 400 holds up well. Syncline does okay also but last time I was there it was muddy. The second gate at Scappy was good but closed. I can't think of another ride that has good trail conditions in the local area in the winter.
    Hmm. I wouldn't agree that jobs are hard to come by in Oregon. Bend, yes. Depending on what your skill/trade/profession is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Lots. It can be tough conditions in the winter, loose and muddy roots and stuff. But l like it. Hood river, bend and Ashland will have the best collection of close year round riding opportunities
    What would you suggest for year round riding in Ashland? I have only done the super-D and some of the various lower options. Any other good long descents that can be done in winter? I will be passing thru early next week and hoping to get in a ride before hitting up Caldera!

Obviously Single

Cool-blue Rhythm Really?

Unless you are a big city guy who enjoys some gloomy, mucky weather 8 months a year I would avoid the wet side of Oregon. If my wife and I could make a living on the east side we would move in a second. Bend would be sweet!
    Do you ever miss a chance to bad-mouth Oregon? I bet you can be a really nice guy, but you sure whine a lot.

I would say that, at best, you exaggerate. I live in the country, not the big city, and it's only rainy any gloomy for most of 6 months, not 8. I love it here. I have lived in Colorado, and I prefer it here (though I miss my friends!).

And the bad weather doesn't stop most of us from riding. I had a great ride with half a dozen friends in the rain last weekend, and we all loved it.

I say we collect donations from everybody that wants to help you move to someplace else. I'd pitch in a few dollars.
    The Lee-Man

FKA Malibu412
    Actually Lee, Jaybo loves OR. Loves it! He runs it down so it won't look so inviting to outsiders and get all crowded. It's all a ruse.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Nice

I was not bad mouthing Oregon but making a good living in Bend is tough! I HATE the climate of the west side of the mountains. I rode in the rain last weekend and froze to the bone with horribly muddy trails I also hate driving an hour to ride..I had a job in Klickitat County and should have had my wife join me up there.... A bad decision for me. Hood River is one part of Oregon I really love.

I think guys take this board way too serious. It is just biking! I was blown away a while back when a guy took a horrible shot at my family on here. .
    Last edited by Jaybo; 12-11-2012 at 08:41 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I HATE the climate of the west side of the mountains.
    I am with you on this!

I've lived in the PDX metro area for 50 years. Dislike it more and more each winter. Now, owning properties, kids, grandkid all in the area probably has me locked here. Oh well, makes one appreciate a mid winter trip to the south. Phoenix in Jan-Feb or Sedona in Mar-Apr, is a treat every northwestern mt biker should experience.

meatier showers
    Hi everybody!
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Hi everybody!
    Super nice to hear from you. Three cheers from Portland!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    I think guys take this board way too serious. It is just biking! I was blown away a while back when a guy took a horrible shot at my family on here. .
    Agreed. So Jaybo hates the weather and the drive to trails - so what? It's his opinion so I respect it.
    Personally, the weather and drive time from Portland to trails doesn't bother me in the slightest. Portland is an uber cool city and there are great trails with a variety of terrain and features within 2 hours drive in both WA and OR, with Bend only 3 hours a way. Regardless, I feel lucky to have the kind of trail access we have in OR, especially when considering what most folks in the rest of the country are stuck with.

Back to vizsladog - a couple of points for you to consider:

1. Idaho is a pretty diverse state with incredible mountain biking. You really should explore and research it before making a move to another state.

2. If you still are considering OR and MTB'ing is the priority, then I recommend you do a road trip North/South and sample the trails. Are you a trail, XC, AM, DH rider? Makes a difference on what region you may choose so trying them out first will help. That and you can experience the different soil types as they are vastly different throughout the state.
    Last edited by JMW503; 12-12-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Obviously Single

Jaybo ...

I was not bad mouthing Oregon but making a good living in Bend is tough! I HATE the climate of the west side of the mountains. I rode in the rain last weekend and froze to the bone with horribly muddy trails I also hate driving an hour to ride..I had a job in Klickitat County and should have had my wife join me up there.... A bad decision for me. Hood River is one part of Oregon I really love.

Honestly, I'm sure you don't think you are negative, but that is how it comes across.

We all know it rains a ridiculous amount here. We all know we need more trails. We all know the best places to bike don't have many jobs (or we'd be living there).

But when you focus on the negative, you bring more of it to you, my friend.

In short, if you can't fix it, then shutting up about it might be the best approach.

Okay, enough talk! I need to go ride something resembling a bicycle!
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I am with you on this!

I've lived in the PDX metro area for 50 years. Dislike it more and more each winter. Now, owning properties, kids, grandkid all in the area probably has me locked here. Oh well, makes one appreciate a mid winter trip to the south. Phoenix in Jan-Feb or Sedona in Mar-Apr, is a treat every northwestern mt biker should experience.
    Ditto this. Annual winter/spring mtb desert trips are a god send with living here. With that said, I am still able to ride year-round here on mudless terrain most of the time by hitting the trails during brief weather breaks at the right locations. My ride last Sunday was excellent for 3hrs of all trail time in the eastern Gorge and night ride on Monday night that's just about 20 minutes from home in NE PDX wasn't bad at all as well. Riding with coyotes on the trails at night while howling at the moon afterwork and back at home to tuck the kids in is about the best I can asked for during the week.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    Agreed. So Jaybo hates the weather and the drive to trails - so what? It's his opinion so I respect it.
    Personally, the weather and drive time from Portland to trails doesn't bother me in the slightest. Portland is an uber cool city and there are great trails with a variety of terrain and features within 2 hours drive in both WA and OR, with Bend only 3 hours a way. Regardless, I feel lucky to have the kind of trail access we have in OR, especially when considering what most folks in the rest of the country are stuck with.

Back to vizsladog - a couple of points for you to consider:

1. Idaho is a pretty diverse state with incredible mountain biking. You really should explore and research it before making yet move to another state.

2. If you still are considering OR and MTB'ing is the priority, then I recommend you do a road trip North/South and sample the trails. Are you a trail, XC, AM, DH rider? Makes a difference on what region you may choose so trying them out first will help. That and you can experience the different soil types as they are vastly different throughout the state.
    #2 here is a good question. Don't come to Bend for serious Downhill or Freeride type stuff. May happen soon once Skyline forest is opened up for non-forest service trail work, but for now Bend is Mostly XC oriented.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Okay

Honestly, I'm sure you don't think you are negative, but that is how it comes across.

We all know it rains a ridiculous amount here. We all know we need more trails. We all know the best places to bike don't have many jobs (or we'd be living there).

But when you focus on the negative, you bring more of it to you, my friend.

In short, if you can't fix it, then shutting up about it might be the best approach.

Okay, enough talk! I need to go ride something resembling a bicycle!
    I hear you but I don't agree. I smile until my face hurts when I go to the SW and enjoy some sweet, sunny singletrack in the SW. I think about my best HR rides and they always include summer rides in the heat. I dig it! This string went sideways because I said Bend has poor job opportunities. It does! I find driving exhausting as I sit in traffic in Gresham and Sandy to get to Sandy Ridge. I have run into plenty of Bendites and others who told me they would stick a knife into their skull if they had to deal with Portland's endless gray skies.

The good news is I'm blessed with a good job, great wife & parents, and good health. I am grateful for such blessings. I'm happy most days but I would like to ride my mountain bike nearly daily. I like Ponderosa trees, sagebrush, cactus, palms, and other sunnyside stuff. I never want to leave Utah every time I go...I just dig it. I'm getting older and may be getting thinner skin

We are saving money like crazy and eventually will move to a place with close singletrack and drier weather...that is our 'shut up....'
    Last edited by Jaybo; 12-12-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Obviously Single

Hope You again?

Hi everybody!
    Thread crasher! Long (winter) time no see!
    The Lee-Man

meatier showers
    Thread crasher! Long (winter) time no see!
    Just trying to balance the whining & negativity with a little PMA. I know it's a losing battle but whatever. Let's go riding!
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Just trying to balance the whining & negativity with a little PMA.
    There is no stopping a full scale nerd war.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Obviously Single

Yes!

Just trying to balance the whining & negativity with a little PMA. I know it's a losing battle but whatever. Let's go riding!
    Just trying to help our friend have a better attitude. ;-)

I seem to remember a quest of yours along similar lines in times past.

Riding: good idea!
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    I hear you but I don't agree. I smile until my face hurts when I go to the SW and enjoy some sweet, sunny singletrack in the SW. I think about my best HR rides and they always include summer rides in the heat. I dig it! This string went sideways because I said Bend has poor job opportunities. It does! I find driving exhausting as I sit in traffic in Gresham and Sandy to get to Sandy Ridge. I have run into plenty of Bendites and others who told me they would stick a knife into their skull if they had to deal with Portland's endless gray skies.

The good news is I'm blessed with a good job, great wife & parents, and good health. I am grateful for such blessings. I'm happy most days but I would like to ride my mountain bike nearly daily. I like Ponderosa trees, sagebrush, cactus, palms, and other sunnyside stuff. I never want to leave Utah every time I go...I just dig it. I'm getting older and may be getting thinner skin

We are saving money like crazy and eventually will move to a place with close singletrack and drier weather...that is our 'shut up....'

I could not agree more with you Jaybo, I live in HR, only drive a 15 minutes to ride in winter (60 minutes each way in Summer as I live in a farther proximity then) and I get to ride 4-5 days a week..... and 90% of the time in the winter its cold, gray, dark at early hours, rainy and a freezer like east wind. The dark grey get to you something fierce. I grew up in Bend and I highly value the power of vitamin D, I would be there in a heartbeat if I could as well.

Alas, I keep living in the rainy, grey and less than great mtb town due to work as well. I love Oregon no matter what, but the grass is always greener on the other side...... and then better somewhere else. And the cycle goes on and on. I really try to focus on what I have and living/loving the present instead of the "what ifs". A rainy/muddy ride is always better than no ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was bumming pretty hard on the distance to good trail and the long winters in P-town and decided see if I could do something about it. At the risk of posting a shameless plug, we now have an indoor riding area in town where you can work on skills in an awesome environment and then enjoy one of our many craft beers on tap in the pub. Check out our webpage - Lumberyard Bike Park

cheers,
    Will

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrd View Post
    Alas, I keep living in the rainy, grey and less than great mtb town due to work as well. I love Oregon no matter what, but the grass is always greener on the other side...... and then better somewhere else. And the cycle goes on and on. I really try to focus on what I have and living/loving the present instead of the "what ifs". A rainy/muddy ride is always better than no ride.
    Word to this as sunny desert trails will always be preferred to this climate come winter time here. But, at least you can still ride to some degree most the year here, whereas it's pretty much no dice in higher and more northern climates of the country during the bulk of winter. Had a great ride at Sandy yesterday and heading out for another good ride today!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Austin in the winter, Ashland in the summer. Problem solved.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I used to live in Dallas, Texas. I would love to visit and check that town out. Sounds pretty interesting.

Ashland is freaking awesome! I rode some butt kicking climb from the main road past the college. What a climb up one of the steepest climb I have done and then down into Lithia Park. The descent into Lithia was a blast. That would be a great training loop for the race season.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast