mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Thanksgiving in Oregon

Hey guys, looking for a little local wisdom. The family's road tripping up to Oregon from southern Cal. for Thanksgiving this year, and I'd love to drag the bike along if it could possibly see some use.

Working plan is to come up I 5 and hit Black Rock, then head over to Bend for a couple days. What's the likelihood these places will still be ridable by then? I realize the weather is quite different between the two, but that the trails eventually close just the same. I can deal with cold and some wet, but don't want to be miserable or destructive, either.

Thanks for any info. you can share, and please feel free to tell me exactly what I want to hear

mtbr member
    Blackrock will stay open pretty much all winter, there's usually a couple weeks in January/February when there's snow but it comes and goes at that elevation. Bend is already having snow days so it's a crapshoot whether you'll hit a good day this late in the season.

mtbr member
    For me personally, I'd pass on Black Rock, unless we have a week or so of dry weather before Thanksgiving weekend, It gets kinda muddy...And it doesn't look like that will happen.

I'd bring the bike anyway, especially if your going to Bend.

Got skis? Bachelor says they'll be open on the 20th.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That decides it, then. Why take chances--better to have the bike and not be able to ride it, than have decent weather and no wheels. Makes sense, but still good to hear. Now, if only my truck got the mileage the wife's car does.

Thanks for the replies, guys

mtbr member
    If you snowboard or ski, Mt Hood is going off right now, just in case you need a fall back plan.

Just another Homer
    Dale, I'll be doing the same thing. But I'm going to Salem area. Anybody got the lowdown on this area? We are driving up Tuesday afternoon and heading back Saturday. Anybody got any info on local rides? I'd even ride T-day morning.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Known Mountainbiker
    DOD does a Wednesnighter south of Eugene. Potluck follows.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    At this time, the long term forecast looks like it'll be really nice in Oregon over Thanksgiving weekend...Bring the bike!!!
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Just another Homer
    Not sure if I can get down to Eugene but I'm bringing the bike.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    For me personally, I'd pass on Black Rock, unless we have a week or so of dry weather before Thanksgiving weekend, It gets kinda muddy...And it doesn't look like that will happen.

I'd bring the bike anyway, especially if your going to Bend.

Got skis? Bachelor says they'll be open on the 20th.

I don't agree with this. Blackrock is best in the winter. It poured the morning of the WTF shuttle day and the trails were tacky by mid afternoon.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Just another Homer
    No riding today. To wet.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just back this evening from our trip. Good to be home, but already missing the great trails I was able to hit in Oregon.

Rode Black Rock on Tuesday, and in the words of the local rider I met in the lot, conditions were "really good." No argument here--this first timer thought the trails were excellent! Don't get to ride anything like this down here, and it was a real treat.

Thanksgiving was spent in Bend, and I managed to make a nice loop out of several trails in the Phil's complex on Thursday afternoon. Lots of snow on the trails, but chose my route by following previous tracks and managed to pedal the whole thing. Headed over to the Lair for a couple runs on one of the milder lines, and met another local rider who took me down a fun little chunky section to end the day.

Thanks again for the input, guys. Would've been miserable to be around if I'd left the bike at home