Jamin, Applesause, No?

New question here. Talent to Ashland?

I will be out in Ashland at the UBI school for the month of February and wanted to ride my bike into town from Talent were I will be staying with family. The ride according to google maps is only 5.6 miles and takes me down 99 almost all the way in. Is there anyone from around there who can tell me if this is a good idea in February or should I look into other means of travel. I have all the winter riding gear along with lights for the bike. I have the option of using a 26er or bringing my 29er.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Commute

I'm not from Ashland, but I have spent a bit of time down there. Others can almost certainly help you more.

Hwy 99 from Talent to Ashland is the main road between those communities (other than I 5) and seems pretty busy whenever I am there in the summer, but it is definitely rideable.

Where are you coming from? The weather can range from chilly (30's) and wet to a bit warmer and wet. I would guess you would not have to deal with snow or ice more than once or twice while you are there, but the norm is that there really is no norm.

My take is that it would not be an awesome commute, but you could definitely do it safely.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Not a tough commute at all. The two options are going to be riding the road or the bike path. The road won't gain you anything over the path over that section. The only factor to deal with is weather. Could be sunny, snowing, rainy or foggy. As long as you aren't running slicks and have lights you will be fine.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Bike Path? Sounds nice. I will be riding nobby tires. I currently live in North Western part of South Carolina just below Ashville. The weather is not too cold here but I a navy brat so I am used to going all over. Is there a name for the bike path so that I can look it up?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The bike path is the Bear Creek Greenway. You can get on it practically from the UBI classes and take it as far as Central Point about 20 miles north. Depending where you are in Talent, you might want to hop off the greenway and scoot over to one of the side roads. Most of the roads have a good shoulder and are marked for bicycle travel. Pick up a Jackson County bike map (probably at the school) and it will have the whole greenway on it plus all of the roads with their traffic density for the county.
    [SIZE=2]I like to start out slow and then back it off a notch.[/SIZE]

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by unoveloce View Post
    The bike path is the Bear Creek Greenway. You can get on it practically from the UBI classes and take it as far as Central Point about 20 miles north. Depending where you are in Talent, you might want to hop off the greenway and scoot over to one of the side roads. Most of the roads have a good shoulder and are marked for bicycle travel. Pick up a Jackson County bike map (probably at the school) and it will have the whole greenway on it plus all of the roads with their traffic density for the county.
    Thanks for that info - The bear creek looks perfect. it is about 0.2 miles from where I will be staying. I like not having to worry about getting hit by cars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    Thanks for that info - The bear creek looks perfect. it is about 0.2 miles from where I will be staying. I like not having to worry about getting hit by cars.
    Even though I'd feel like Ichabod Crane on the bear creek path at night, I'd prefer that route over HWY 99.