k4d
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Synopsis of Bend and Area

Hi all,

I'm starting a job in the next couple of weeks will take me to Bend every 2-3 weeks. Being from Vancouver,BC I've been spoiled by the amazing riding we have locally but am looking to forward to what Oregan has to offer.

I am primarily a cross country rider - what are the XC type trails like in and around Bend?

Are there any shops in Bend that rent bikes? I'll be flying so packing my bike will be hassle.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by k4d
    Hi all,

I'm starting a job in the next couple of weeks will take me to Bend every 2-3 weeks. Being from Vancouver,BC I've been spoiled by the amazing riding we have locally but am looking to forward to what Oregan has to offer.

I am primarily a cross country rider - what are the XC type trails like in and around Bend?

Are there any shops in Bend that rent bikes? I'll be flying so packing my bike will be hassle.

Thanks in advance for any feedback
    Lots o' XC riding around Bend (with seasonal limitations) and much of it is rideable straight from the west side of town.

If you are going to be there that often and for more than a few days at a time I would keep a bike there.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

it means 'no problem'
    Let's see, where should I start?

Bend has so many bike shops that rent bikes I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could rent YOUR same bike here. All the big brands and many small ones are represented.

Shiggy's right tho, after a while you'll probably just leave your bike in Bend.

Year 'round ST is here. 98% (and falling) is XC / AM type stuff but we're building some cool FR stuff, too.

I've lived here for 10 years and there is ST around Central Oregon I have yet to ride (I am a P/T mtn bike guide summers... go figure!) somebody studied and came up with a figure of 1200 miles of ST within a two-hour drive's radius.

Check out www.cotamtb.com, please.

mtbr member
    Bring your bike and a good pair of riding legs......get ready to pedal. We don't have much in regards to steep climbing in the early season (starts in late March, give or take), but there is great singletrack at the lower elevations. The cream of the crop is not avaliable to ride until well into Summer most years. The upper trails are where you will find some climbing and the best singletrack Bend has to offer.

Give a shout when you're in town and maybe one of the locals will be up for showing you some of the rides in the area.

Cheers,
    BFE

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Bring your bike and a good pair of riding legs......get ready to pedal. We don't have much in regards to steep climbing in the early season (starts in late March, give or take), but there is great singletrack at the lower elevations. The cream of the crop is not avaliable to ride until well into Summer most years. The upper trails are where you will find some climbing and the best singletrack Bend has to offer.

Give a shout when you're in town and maybe one of the locals will be up for showing you some of the rides in the area.

Cheers,
    BFE
    True, very true. I can't think of anyone that would want to go riding...

Toby Wong?
    don't expect to really ride until at least April at the earliest, unless you want to drive to Horse Butte or Smith Rock.

screw that, head into the alpine and XC ski or hit the ski area till then.
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

k4d
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the quick feedback - I am really starting to look forward to the riding,er, I mean the new job...

If I plant a bike there - gotta decide which one it'll be...
    Attached Images Attached Images

it means 'no problem'
    I am pretty sure you can rent either bike here.

Rockies at Pine Mt. Sports and Konas at Bend Cyclery. Both very different but very cool shops.

That Kona might suit Bend terrain as it's more XC but you'll have to decide for yourself. ;-)

k4d
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What tire is everyone using for the terrain down there? My Kona has Maxxis Ignitor 2.1s which have been quite good in the BC interior - from what I can tell central Oregon should have similar conditions (relatively dry in summer? dusty?)

it means 'no problem'
    I've been using a 2.35 Timberwolf front and a 2.2 Weirwolf rear. Several people I know use that combo. Hooks up predictably in all the C.O. conditions. Of course I like dual control with rapid-rise rear derailler, and sugar in my coffee, so my taste might be different from yours

Dude, got any schwag?
    I run Kenda Small Block 8, 2.35 or WTB Weirwolf race LT (?) 2.55.

Bend single track kicks a$$!
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Keep Singletrack Single
    I run the Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 USTs on my All Mountain around Bend. WORK WELL!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail