mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Syncline: Watch out for rattle snakes

Just a reminder to watch out for rattle snakes at syncline. I was riding down Hidden Valley and about half way down in a rocky tech section a rattle snake struck at me from under a den that was on the side of the trail. It nearly missed my leg by inches and hit my seatstay right behind my calf. Good thing I was going fast!

mtbr member
    Good miss with the snake, but I am more scared of all the p. oak growing out onto trail there right about now that's waiting to swipe me. It's got to be pretty bad in through there now.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There was TONS of poison oak on the hidden valley trail. There were a few spots I walked through just to be sure I didn't get swiped by a piece hanging over the trail.

mtbr member
    Certainly sounds like mother nature is telling us to ride elsewhere!

I have had fairly good luck using Ivy Block (on legs and arms, although it looks like I came straight from a Gothic movie). Anyone else have luck with this as well?

FKA Malibu412
    I'd say armor/leg and arm cover up in Syncline right now to protect from snakes and oak. Might get a little warm but may provide the cushion to keep fangs from getting too deep. Ivy Block and wash clothing after every ride there helps prevent the rash (which i'm still itching from 7 weeks later )
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm hoping the p. oak didn't get me. I woke up this morning and nothing is itching so I think I'm in the clear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Technu works for the post ride. But your symptoms might not occur for days from now

I don't even get PO but I Technu wash my legs and arms after every ride that I do here in the gorge. The snakes are enough to keep me away from Syncline during this time of year, throw in the REI hiking pole army, and the dry conditions and I am riding somewhere else. Rode for 2 hours yesterday, great views of the gorge and I saw 1 other biker and the dirt was sweet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    No one is more alergic to poison oak than me -- I can get it without even touching it, it seems. But I've used Tecnu for years and now I never get poision oak.

My wife hiked Syncline today -- hope she was careful. Personally, I'd rather road ride than ride my mountain bike there.