mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Syncline rideable?

hi, have tomorrow off and was wondering if syncline is in shape to be ridden?

thax,
    cb

mtbr member
    Very much so, almost like summer up there today with great dry trails and blue skies throughout. I even saw a baby rattlesnake crossing the road just before TH to Maui/Moab. Trails are superb there right now, but poison oak is REALLY BAD right now as well that seems be all over the place from high to low, especially on Hidden Canyon and Coyote (pretty much the whole trail top to bottom on both of those) and haven't seen it this bad this early in the year in the higher trails at least. So I would just stay with with ridge trails (Moab, Maui).
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the report!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    Thanks for the report!
    No probs, just thought I would give you a head's up as I would only ride Maui/Moab right now due to oak and kind of hard to warrant the drive from PDX unless you are planning on doing laps on those I suppose. After today, I am pretty much done riding Syncline until Fall.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If I were you I would head to Whoopdee just outside of HR. way way more fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donutboy View Post
    If I were you I would head to Whoopdee just outside of HR. way way more fun.
    Good call with Whoopdee D-boy as it was pretty splendid there today (only patch of blue sky in the HR area was over me most ot the time), while everything else in the Gorge was bathing in hard showers (even Syncline area looked like it got hit hard for a bit). I decided to ride Whoopdee instead of Post, since the showers were just starting to hit west HR when I arrived this early afternoon. It's been over 5yrs since I last rode Whoopdee and was pleasantly surprised how cherry the trails are, especially for true, flowy singletrack trail riding. A lot of pedalling involved and fairly XC in a lot of it since I was a bit overgunned with my heavy +6" bike, but the backside descent was RAD! Even a lot better and longer than before. The climb out was a bit brutal as I took the new trail climb out and is a bit rough since they just cut it in yesterday (should of took the doubletrack/road climb out instead). Overall good ride, great single trails with fun sections and beautiful area in the forest and hills. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Awesome! Glad to hear it worked out. We had some crazy weather today, glad you got it

See anyone else out there? We had a lot of folks with us saturday but it was still the place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Good call with Whoopdee D-boy as it was pretty splendid there today (only patch of blue sky in the HR area was over me most ot the time), while everything else in the Gorge was bathing in hard showers (even Syncline area looked like it got hit hard for a bit). I decided to ride Whoopdee instead of Post, since the showers were just starting to hit west HR when I arrived this early afternoon. It's been over 5yrs since I last rode Whoopdee and was pleasantly surprised how cherry the trails are, especially for true, flowy singletrack trail riding. A lot of pedalling involved and fairly XC in a lot of it since I was a bit overgunned with my heavy +6" bike, but the backside descent was RAD! Even a lot better and longer than before. The climb out was a bit brutal as I took the new trail climb out and is a bit rough since they just cut it in yesterday (should of took the doubletrack/road climb out instead). Overall good ride, great single trails with fun sections and beautiful area in the forest and hills. Thanks for the suggestion!

mtbr member
    Read this post yesterday and decided to go to syncline since I had only been there once before. Great conditions and weather,besides a quick hail storm. Really enjoyed moab, had to do it twice. Towards the bottom section of Maui I saw the rattlesnake smack in the middle of the trail. Proceed with caution!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What trail guide are you guys using to find the trail heads, specifically to Whoopdee. I looked at NW-trail alliance website and MTBR but no mention of Whoopdee's location.

ronbo613
    Quote Originally Posted by hiawatha-de View Post
    What trail guide are you guys using to find the trail heads, specifically to Whoopdee. I looked at NW-trail alliance website and MTBR but no mention of Whoopdee's location.
    I'm sure these expert Hood River mountain bikers would tell you that the property owners that own the land the WhoopDee trail sits on have requested that no maps be posted or published. Other local private property owners that share their land with mountain bikers have made the same request. Any signs are posted by the property owners.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    I'm sure these expert Hood River mountain bikers would tell you that the property owners that own the land the WhoopDee trail sits on have requested that no maps be posted or published. Other local private property owners that share their land with mountain bikers have made the same request. Any signs are posted by the property owners.
    Not a map so maybe it's OK....

Paragraph 2 on this page....

Hood River Mountain Biking

gives directions to the TH. Might take a bit of close looking on the east side of the road when you get in the area, but that is part of the fun of exploring an area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donutboy View Post
    See anyone else out there? We had a lot of folks with us saturday but it was still the place to be.
    Not a soul (made the ride even better), just a few hikers walking up the steep hill to towers on the other side. I did however run into a guy heading out to ride up the road where the the new trail climb ends who said it he built the trail, "his trail" with bunch of trail tools in back of his truck. Didn't catch his name, nice and helpful dude on a SC Tallboy who gave me the law of the land. CAMBA and others did a nice job with that, great resource!
    Ride On!