Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Syncline okay to ride?

Is it still in the freeze/thaw cycle? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    last I heard ~Thanksgiving time.. avoid due to mud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    All the trails in the Hood River area are experiencing the freeze-thaw effect in addition to an occasional rain shower making for muddy conditions. If you are a conscientious rider and prefer not to damage the trails, you will ride somewhere else. If not, there are plenty of other riders who don't care if they damage the trails or not, as long as they get their weekly ride in, park the muddy bikes in front of one of the local pubs and act cool, so go ahead and ride if you want to, somebody will fix the trails later, right?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Nice response! No attitude there I asked because I don't want to damage the trails. I hope you have parked your bike until summer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Jaybo: Temira (The Gorge is my Gym) actually said that Syncline is good and dry right now. She also said Post is OK above Seven Streams is supposed to be good too (but avoid Seven Streams). Haven't ridden any of those myself though.

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    actually, here is what Temira said yesterday: "Syncline was reportedly very good on the doubletrack and on Moab with a few mushy spots on Maui. In Post Canyon, Seven Streams is a no-go, but if you ride Twelve Bridges (the lowest sections) and then ride up the road to the top of Mitchell Ridge, you'll find perfect dirt."

Ride the road up to Mitchell Ridge. 7 Streams and above are not ride-ready.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Nice response! No attitude there I asked because I don't want to damage the trails. I hope you have parked your bike until summer.
    I haven't parked my bike until summer, I ride gravel roads and trails that handle the wet conditions as well as riding my road bike. These are my local trails, for me, riding them when they are muddy is pissing in the well. Thanks to you and everyone who treats these trails with respect, it takes a lot of work to keep them in shape.

Haven't ridden any of those myself though.
    Thank you for another great report with no first hand information.

mtbr member
    Best ride of the year on Saturday and would guess even better today. Parking lot was absolutely packed - lots of GREAT winter riding this year Jaybo, don't be put off by the self-rightous!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Thanks! I hear the rain is coming in buckets this week. It had to happen eventually. I am doing a work party at Growlers on Saturday, but should do more--I can add that to my should do things in life

mtbr member
    After checking the forecast for the next several days it looks like temps should be in mid 50's during teh day and dip to just above freezing at night....ie no freeze thaw.

anyone have an idea (based on your experience) for how the trails might be by the weekend?

i'm mostly interested in hidden, i'm guessing little moab will be dialed and maui may should be ok....but would be nice to hear from someone in the know.

mtbr member
    Moab is fine, Maui is waay better than 2 days ago and is good.. The rain and west winds all helped. A bit of water on the jeep road but nothing unusual. I bet the before the creek crossing past brown house is greasy as usual but hidden should be ok this weekend provided it does not freeze. All bets are off if that happens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlf.ski.bike.sail View Post
    After checking the forecast for the next several days it looks like temps should be in mid 50's during teh day and dip to just above freezing at night....ie no freeze thaw.

anyone have an idea (based on your experience) for how the trails might be by the weekend?

i'm mostly interested in hidden, i'm guessing little moab will be dialed and maui may should be ok....but would be nice to hear from someone in the know.
    FWIW, top half of Hidden was total crap on Monday in my opinion and wanted to bail as soon as I got on on it. Only rode it cause local HR dude just came down it while I was heading up in lot and said it was good (he must of washed his bike under the little falls). Only thing that was worth riding there Sunday and Monday was Moab. Those trails, especially the upper stuff really got beat this winter so far and looks like it is due for some major restoration. Hood River riding basically has been crap this winter for the most part thus far. Due to drier weather this week, should be better of course, but still a lot of trail damage en route to and on Hidden sadly.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    yeah i the same experience on hidden a few weeks ago. I ended up walking my bike down it, it was so bad. that trail does not hold up at all to freeze/thaw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    FWIW, top half of Hidden was total crap on Monday in my opinion and wanted to bail as soon as I got on on it. Only rode it cause local HR dude just came down it while I was heading up in lot and said it was good (he must of washed his bike under the little falls). Only thing that was worth riding there Sunday and Monday was Moab. Those trails, especially the upper stuff really got beat this winter so far and looks like it is due for some major restoration. Hood River riding basically has been crap this winter for the most part thus far. Due to drier weather this week, should be better of course, but still a lot of trail damage en route to and on Hidden sadly.
    Frankly, that section is total crap permanently after the rerouting they did last year. Worthless bench grading through thickets of poison oak don't exactly make for fun riding no matter how good the conditions are. The rerouting down lower (except the wide bend after the first rock stair) in the canyon was well done though. I suppose I'll get over it someday, but its a bitter pill.