mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Syncline conditions?

I was thinking about riding Syncline for the first time tomorrow; got the day off. Is it rideable or is there deep snow? I'll be leaving tomorrow from Portland and would love company. I'm a pretty fast SSer. Any beta is appreciated. If it isn't rideable any recommendations on nice long trails within a reasonable driving distance of Portland is welcome.

Thanks,

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbisers311
    I was thinking about riding Syncline for the first time tomorrow; got the day off. Is it rideable or is there deep snow? I'll be leaving tomorrow from Portland and would love company. I'm a pretty fast SSer. Any beta is appreciated. If it isn't rideable any recommendations on nice long trails within a reasonable driving distance of Portland is welcome.

Thanks,

Dave
    "Fu-barred" with several inches of snow and potentially not rideable for some time from what I have heard lately from a friend who drives by it everyday on his way to work. Things could always change pretty quickly up there though, especially if it warms up above freezing temps.

I would probably say it is a definite no go for tomorrow. You might only be able to ride the gravel road (Lief Erickson) and FL5 in Forest Park tomorrow if you don't mind riding gravel roads and very brief sections of trail in mucky conditions.

JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hey jon,

this is dave from performance. Know of anywhere else within 2 hours drive or so that would be a good ride? I'd just as well road ride tomorrow as ride forest park. I'll probably XC ski if this doesn't work out. Thanks for the heads up.

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbisers311
    hey jon,

this is dave from performance. Know of anywhere else within 2 hours drive or so that would be a good ride? I'd just as well road ride tomorrow as ride forest park. I'll probably XC ski if this doesn't work out. Thanks for the heads up.

Dave
    Hey Dave,

It all depends on temps and snow levels. This early am, everything above 500' had a fair amount of snow. Unfortunately, it is slim pickings for trail riding right now, especially since the Gorge got hammered as of late.

If not too wet, you might want to try Rocky Pt. Road trails near Scappoose, Matt can give you directions. The trails can get "soupy" there, but some sections under the forest stays in good shape most of the year. The trails there are about 500-1000',elevation, so check the weather before heading out to see if it warmed up or you will be biking in snow/mud. Best to go with someone to show you around a bit if going for the first time though, since the area is a network of mixed trails scattered throughout a maze of forest and roads.

Tough time for riding right now, I am mad I didn't ride Powell Butte friday night after work while it was still dry and the wind was mellow that day.

You might be best off for a road ride on Springwater Corridor tomorrow, unfortunately.

The snow is "sick" right now up at the mountain from what my brother tells me, you may have more fun gliding around in the trees on the "freshies" up at hood. If you got a reliable rig, I would probablly just drive up to Govy' and XC ski the Crosstown trails behind town.

Have fun and tell the boyz hi for me at the shop, I haven't been in for a while.

JonG
    Ride On!