Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

sycline conditions

Thinking about a ride at sycline this weekend, this would be my first trip here and was wondering if anybody could give me an update of the conditions, and bike recomondations? i have an XC and a FR bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksearsor View Post
    Thinking about a ride at sycline this weekend, this would be my first trip here and was wondering if anybody could give me an update of the conditions, and bike recomondations? i have an XC and a FR bike.
    a few of us are shuttling it on sunday, this will be my first time on the trail also, from what i've been told is that if you are peddling up and xc or all mountain bike is best but if you shuttle probably your fr bike so you can hit some of the drops and stuff. hopefully somebody who has rode it will respond. i only have one bike so i'm stuck with riding what i have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Right on, my buddy steve and i were looking in to the same shuttle to the top, might be a good chance to finally meet ya jae. I think I may have met or seen you up at the monument system before. It looks like there might be some snow at the 1000 - 1500 ft. level at the syncline trail on sunday; I was looking at a topo ma pof the area and it looks like the top of the trails is around the 2000 ft level. Hope we all make it out this weekend.

Jae. are you a part of the SOMBA crew? do you have any idea who messed with me and my firends skinny line at the sweetpea system? we have a 17ft gap with a skinny line attached to it and the skinny has been removed/destroyed. any ideas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksearsor View Post
    Right on, my buddy steve and i were looking in to the same shuttle to the top, might be a good chance to finally meet ya jae. I think I may have met or seen you up at the monument system before. It looks like there might be some snow at the 1000 - 1500 ft. level at the syncline trail on sunday; I was looking at a topo ma pof the area and it looks like the top of the trails is around the 2000 ft level. Hope we all make it out this weekend.

Jae. are you a part of the SOMBA crew? do you have any idea who messed with me and my firends skinny line at the sweetpea system? we have a 17ft gap with a skinny line attached to it and the skinny has been removed/destroyed. any ideas?
    i'm here in underwood wa right now at 1500' and there is no snow. the wind is blowing a storm in so who knows, i can report more tomorrow about the local conditions. i ride in snow so it wouldn't stop me from going. steve texted me today that he was coming, hope you can make it also.

ya i'm somba but i haven't rode sweetpea in a few months and haven't rode with pp in a while but i would assume that any built feature out there is a bad thing and should be steered away from. i know that years ago in dallas that when the property owners found the build features they were not happy and almost cost us the privilege of riding out there. i'm not being judge mental just stating what has happened in other areas. we are going to post canyon tomorrow and i'll let ya know what the conditions here are like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As far as I know the line with the skinny line and gap jump are not on the beaten path, you kind of need to know where to go to even hit it. From what I have seen/heard is that P doesnt care for FR bikers, we're not trying to damage/change the trail to FR oriented, but c'mon there has to be a line that has to be drawn since they are not "marked" trails; these are BLM trails since they are the owners of the land it is on. but either way the new stuff we are trying to cut in are not intrusive or beyond an average riders skill level. For myself I was curious as to who may be putting piles of branches on the corners that are definitely railable trying to slow people down, all it has done is catch in my spokes and my chain, it's a major PITA when I have to stop and drag parts of a tree from the moving parts of my bike just to continue down the trail, it's a major PITA and personally I'm a college student and don't have the funds to constantly be repairing parts on my bike on the basis of other people trying to slow people down.

Sorry for the rant, but I felt it was needed.

mtbr member
    Syncline has been good all week, but with the snow falling now and what is predicted for next 24hrs the shuttles from the top will be adventuresome to say the least. You will likely be ridding in inches of heavy wet snow for half of the decent......

mtbr member
    we did 3 shuttles on sunday, snow til you got out of the tree line but only a couple of inches, very rideable and tons of fun. love little moab can't wait to go back

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I can see out my window that there will be a little more snow on the upper syncline this weekend compared to last.
    Bryce Jenkinson Photography
    www.studioido.net

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    I thought shuttling Syncline is being discouraged now, due to the fact that Coyote Canyon will be shut down because of all the shuttling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RighteousTrail View Post
    I thought shuttling Syncline is being discouraged now, due to the fact that Coyote Canyon will be shut down because of all the shuttling.
    It is heavily discouraged but a number of people unfortunately ignore that. And unfortunately I fear it will become much worse this spring with post canyon being closed till possibly mid-summer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    RT,
    Thanks for bringing it up.
    The residents do not appreciate all the unnecessary traffic on Courtney rd. This is a factor in the easements and trail closure decisions. Bad form to be posting all your laps on the interweb anyway. Peace.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Shuttlers,
    Think about the consequences before you shuttle Syncline. Please dont shuttle and risk having tension from the residents for the rest of us. I have never shuttled Syncline in the 30+ times I have ridden there. If you do shuttle, ask the residents if it is OK with them, which I hear it is not.
    Last edited by RighteousTrail; 03-03-2012 at 02:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For sure!, thanks for the heads up. Don't want to make the residents mad. I havent been up there yet, i was planning on a trip this summer when the weather is better.

Too Much Fun

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Don't shuttle Syncline... PLEASE...

Given the state of Post Canyon, it's absolutely unacceptable to jeopardize Syncline.

I've never shuttled Syncline, never even considered it, regardless of whether I have the Big Bike or the XC out, and I can totally understand why it would piss off the locals.

Don't do it. Please. Use those pedals, that's what they're there for!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I don't shuttle it and don't like the shuttle situation there either. What pissed me off was seeing the shuttle riders jump out of the car and bomb through the field pass the reroute sign. Clearly trespassing and disregarding the property owners wishes at the top parking. A few will always ruin it for all.
    www.studioido.net

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I used to work in Klickitat County and have been in the homes of people up Courtney Road. They don't like the trucks and other shuttle vehicles going up and down Courtney. I have heard riding up is good for your health and keeps you out of those XL baggie pants

Daddy Dragon

Syncline loop suggestions?

I was thinking about going out to Syncline this Saturday. I've only been there once (and walked up the road, BTW) and was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for some loops. I found this map. I'm not sure how accurate it is but I would really appreciate some advice. I ride a 150mm travel bike and would like to pedal up but hit some fast technical stuff on the way down.
    Also, the one time I road there we were pretty close to the edge of a tall cliff so I'm wondering how safe it is to take your dog there. Non-dog owners need not reply to this part of the question.
    Thanks for your help.

http://www.cascadesingletrack.com/GP...rd_Topo_LG.jpg

mtbr member
    Shuttlegypsies are an embarassment to the mountain biking community.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I thought Coyote Cliffs has been "off limits" for some time now. Is this not the case? I would always ride up Courtney Road and then down Coyote. Shame if the driving impetus for closing some of these trails is due to people shuttling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Do you think this group I saw last night up by the bench and launch site shuttled or started at the bottom? I was jealous of the pack of 6-10 riders killing it on a full moon ride? You can see the first set of lights as that little dot on the ridge.
    www.studioido.net

Daddy Dragon
    Nice picture. Any suggestions on good loops?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

loops

Quote Originally Posted by ripdogg1 View Post
    Nice picture. Any suggestions on good loops?
    My favorite is up the jeep trail or to the right of it around the house up onto the old county road then into the Kreps land. Head down the controversial private land coyote wall trail. It is mostly clear with a few downed trees. Hidden canyon is another option. Hospital Hill has problems on the sections with fir trees from the ice. The open grass and Oaks seem to have held in the ice. Drop me a line when you are riding maybe I can join.
    www.studioido.net

Daddy Dragon
    Quote Originally Posted by brycej View Post
    Drop me a line when you are riding maybe I can join.
    I'm heading up there Saturday in the early afternoon.

mtbr member

Crybaby and Little Moab Conditions of this weekend

Any thoughts from those who ride Sycline regularly on what the conditions for Crybaby and Little Moab will be on Saturday? I figure if it snowed in PDX last night, the upper trails must have gotten snow as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

syncline

Don't even have to go look.. It snowed all day wednesday in white salmon. Can't be good. Please tell everyone "earn your turns" Shuttling is bad in the long term for syncline.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast