Thread: Sweet Home

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Sweet Home

Does anybody know where there is some singletrack around Sweet Home, OR? Not Sisters or Corvallis, but in the mountains around Sweet Home? There is a ton of fire roads but I am unaware of any single track.

mtbr member
    Santiam Wagon road trail has some single track. I've never rode it but a riding bud has rode it and keeps trying to get me to also. Here is a link to some info. I can ask him for more.

Willamette National Forest - Santiam Wagon Road Trail Area

Also there are some great trails at Shellburg Falls which is about 30 miles from Sweet Home. I ride there about once a week, there are trails on the State forest land that are marked, and others. I can show you those if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hey Thanks,

I checked out that link. That looks like a fun area to explore. Lots of trails and points of interest. Do you or your buddy have any idea what the trail composition is? I am looking for places to ride in the winter that aren't too muddy. Trails with a rocky foundation that is. Not that I don't love a good mud run, but I know where plenty of those kind of trails are this time of year.

And yes, if you have any info on the Shellburg Falls area that would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The Monument Peak area near Mill City also has trails, but they are closed to bikes in winter (Oct 15-May 15, I think). In summer there are about 15 miles of single-track, though some sections can be badly post-holed by horses.

mtbr member
    Rode Shellburg Falls on New Years day, the conditions right now are perfect. Here is the link to the info from the state:
    Oregon Department of Forestry - North Cascade District Non-motorized Trails on the Santiam State Forest

You can make it a longer ride by connecting to Silver Falls Park. Right now its by gravel road but soon there will be a trail connecting the two systems.

mtbr member
    I used to ride this system alot, the only closure I know of right now is for the logging on the 7-up and Radio Flyer trails. In winter the Magic trail was the only one that was too wet to ride, but right now with our mild winter I would suspect that those trails are in good shape. Where did you get your closure info?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The trail signage used to say that the trails were closed to bikes and horses Oct 15-May 15. Are these signs gone? I notice that the current trail map on oregon.gov does not list the winter use restrictions, though it does list the 7-Up/Radio Flyer closure.

A couple of years ago I remember parts of Rabbit Hole and Radio Flyer still being very muddy even in July.