Afric Pepperbird

Swede, Swampy, SST, South Fork clear!

Thanks COTA sawyers!

But damn, I wish I knew ahead of time. I was really itching to ride up there today for the first time. It's my all time favorite loop (with Sector 16 and Upper Whoops and Skyliners).

Anyway, Mrazek and Farewell were fun as a consolation prize.

drbarky
    Thanks to whoever put in the big effort in clearing up there--that was a ton of trees down--kudos!!

As for the riding--we rode it today in a drizzle to start w/ and then full on rain ,Whistleresque, and the trails are in great shape. Skyliner, upper whoops, sect 16, south swede, south fork, tumalo creek--all really good. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I heard it was Lev who cleared it. We rode it as well on Friday. Many thanks there. dbarky, were you at the bench when we rolled through on our way down Lower after the loop mentioned? If that was you and you kept going after looking our muddy faces, good for you. Love that Sector...

drbarky
    yep, couldn't pass it up and were rewarded!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice job! We were worried about you guys when we hit the water wall on Phil's heading down. The trail was a river. (More water bars William...) Some of the small berms above the canyon were 40 foot lakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks to the three guys that cleared these trails. As a heads up, there is a new tree down as of today on SST in a somewhat dangerous location on the older portion of SST. If you’re headed east from the Swampy area it is located on the downhill cornery section. It might surprise someone gettin' after it.

If anyone was wondering, the Ridge Loop headed towards Vista Butte has numerous trees down within the first quarter mile and probably snow a little higher. Flagline (the short open section to Flagline Tie) has tress down and snow a short distance from the intersection.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by DRTTherapy View Post
    As a heads up, there is a new tree down as of today on SST in a somewhat dangerous location on the older portion of SST. If you’re headed east from the Swampy area it is located on the downhill cornery section. It might surprise someone gettin' after it.
    Whoa! This needs more emphasis. I was up there today, and this tree is a very dangerous hazard. It's right on the barreling downhill section of SST ( a half mile to a mile from its western terminus), and the tree is right on a blind curve. I was really booking along - fast - when I almost hit this thing. I could see some serious bodily injury if a rider did not have good trail awareness.

mtbr member
    What trail is SST exactly?
    Bend, Oregon

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    What trail is SST exactly?
    Swampy Swede Tie. It lies just south of the Swede Ridge Trail off of Swampy Lakes Trail.It's the southern half of the Swede Ridge Loop, as pictured here:

http://www.ormtb.com/Central_Oregon/...r_Dutchman.pdf

mtbr member
    GOT IT thank you!
    Bend, Oregon