slower than you

Sunday morning at Scappoose

Since hitting Scappoose for the first time on New Year's Day I've been dying to get back out there again, especially with a new bike in the house that's been taunting me since I brought it home Wednesday. It was cold, wet and nasty but it was a fun couple of hours.

Since today was a get acquainted ride and the light was so nice I spent as much time walking around taking photos as I did riding...or at least trying to ride. Either it was really slippery out there today or I'm a bigger gimp than I thought.

I wish I could rewire the part of my brain that isn't cool with going downhill on slippery, muddy trails. The thought of riding something like this quite frankly scares the bejeezus out of me.

Random object #1. An old barbeque I think? Kinda strange running across stuff like this out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm glad I didn't come out alone my first time but I wish I'd marked all the trails we rode on my gps. I found a couple of them again this time but not everything. The Maze is a lot of fun, Dead Dog not so much as wet as it was today.

Snow=fun

Wet mossy logs=exciting

Random object #2. Even stranger than the old barbeque. I think this is on Dead Dog?

This mountain biking thing is pretty cool.
    Dog is my copilot

meatier showers
    Nice pix. I rode Scappoose one time on a big group ride. Dug it.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Okay, next time I am in P-Town I need to ride the Scappoose area. Cool pic's!
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Let's roll.
    Dead Dog is a necessary evil.

It's the first trail on the right. It basically exists to gain you access to the North Shore trails, and then over to the Maze, etc.

Scappoose rocks, especially for being so close to Portland. But you're right about the mud. It turns into slop fairly quickly and the climbs (all of them steep and short) verge on the impossible, regardless of tire selection.

Oh, and great pics!
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Those are some great pictures. This is totally NBR but are you using a filter on your camera or are you doing color adjustments with software. Again, those are great pictures.

Thanks,
    J

Tree Hugger
    Canon cameras will do that processing in camera, using the "My colors" settings to highlight one color,switch colors around, etc. I'm guessing that's what was used.
    However it was done, it came out nicely in these photos.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    Okay, next time I am in P-Town I need to ride the Scappoose area. Cool pic's!
    Thanks! It's definitely worth the drive up to check it out next time you're up this way.
    Dog is my copilot

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy
    It turns into slop fairly quickly and the climbs (all of them steep and short) verge on the impossible, regardless of tire selection.
    I'm glad it's not just me then. It was a lot of trouble staying upright. New Year's Day was kinda wet not not nearly as slippery.
    Dog is my copilot

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I made the mistake of going out there when it was that muddy in my skate shoes that have no traction. If I couldn't ride it (like say widow maker) I had to slide down it on my butt.

mtbr member
    When the mud clears up, Head Hunter is a must!!!

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by wildchubby
    Those are some great pictures. This is totally NBR but are you using a filter on your camera or are you doing color adjustments with software. Again, those are great pictures.

Thanks,
    J
    Thanks. I've been going through a bad case of photography burnout..not a good thing since it's my job...so taking a camera out on a ride and shooting photos for fun was a nice change. As to the color, I shot RAW and did everything in Lightroom.
    Dog is my copilot

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ratspike
    Thanks. I've been going through a bad case of photography burnout..not a good thing since it's my job...so taking a camera out on a ride and shooting photos for fun was a nice change. As to the color, I shot RAW and did everything in Lightroom.

Thanks for the info. What camera did you use for these photo's? The detail of the water drops makes me think its a DSLR but I dont know of a DSLR thats compact enough for the trail.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by wildchubby
    Thanks for the info. What camera did you use for these photo's? The detail of the water drops makes me think its a DSLR but I dont know of a DSLR thats compact enough for the trail.
    Canon G9. As a general walk around snapshot camera I love it, though in low light high iso situations like this it leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to carry either of my DSLRs on the bike.
    Dog is my copilot

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Great night ride

Jon and I rode it one night and it is a blast at night. We could hear some Coyotes close...it was very cool. It is pretty muddy this time of year.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ya..night ride in the winter make you feel alive.