mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Suffer'n On The Summit Mtb Race 9/13

Team Sunset Cycles has spent the last 4 months building single track for the inaugural SUFFER'N ON THE SUMMIT mountain bike race. We are just over a week away from the race on Sunday, September 13. The course will start out on Sunday's Pain on the Peak cyclocross course, but quickly turns into the woods onto technical singletrack descending Bald Peak mountain. This will be a real mountain bike race over a 2+ mile circuit with challenging roots, log crossings, steep downhills, sketchy off cambers, tight switchbacks, and finishing off with a lung crushing climb up an old logging grade. Mountain bikes with knobby tires are recommended, as much of the terrain is steep and loose. Check out the course video for a sample of what's in store: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeGLBcP5Km8

We will be using standard OBRA mountain bike categories, so remember to BRING YOUR OBRA MTB RACE PLATES. We will have temporary plates available for those who do not have them.

$1500+ cash payout for the top PRO/Cat 1 men/women finishers! Merchandise and medals for other race categories.

FREE KIDS RACE (under 10yo). Juniors 10-18 get a discounted $15 registration fee.

Pre-ride starts after Saturday's Pain on the Peak race.

True beginner course for the CAT 3's.

Discounted $20 pre-registration must be received by Thursday, September 10. Day of race registration will be $25.
    Check out the Pain & Suffer'n website for directions and details: http://www.painandsuffern.com/

Formerly of Kent
    Video best watched with sound turned off.

Is this course on public or private land? I don't have anything to do today/this weekend/Monday, so a pre-ride would be a unique and very welcome experience, if it's open to riding.

Off Road Motorcycle Racer

No open practice

Just called the shop putting on the race and there is no open practice.

I'm open for some training this weekend if anyone wants to go to Hagg Lake or Browns camp and get in some suffering before next weekend?

"Inches make the champion" Vince Lombardi

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, I'm not taking credit for picking the music.
    Some of us were going to be up there this weekend riding/working. I'll check with the property owner to see if a preride is okay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The property owner, Bruce, just posted this:

"I am the landowner of this venue. I would like to invite anybody who would like to come out to try the course before Sunday to do so every evening this week from 6-8 pm. The trails have been groomed and marked, and I will be riding a quad around to make sure people know where to go. If you see me, please introduce yourselves as a visitor. Have fun and be safe, especially when you see double arrows pointing downward!"

I'll be out there tomorrow, riding and doing some final tweaks to the trail. If you head out you can park under the tree in the corner where Whitmore road takes a turn to the right. You can use the aerial map of the mtb course on the sufferin on the summit web site as a guide. The cyclocross course is fully marked with pylons and flags, please take care not to disturb any of the markings. The mtb course is only marked in the single track sections, so as to not interfere with saturdays CX race.