mtbr member

Stub Stewart XC trail progress update

Here's a little update on the progress at Stub. The north trail is getting used regularly and in great shape as usual. The long portion of South trail, while closed and unridden, is firming up nicely and aside from a few turns that need modifying, it rides great, both up and down.

The Linkpin trail (blue) which will connect North to South trails is currently under construction, but very close to making contact. A newly discovered boundary marker has made the job a lot tougher than expected as we now have to go down and back up a small ravine to reach the south side. Its been a challenge to find a way down because we are limited by property boundary on one side and landslide steepness on the other. The result: 9 switchbacks in a 50 yard radius, a section I'm going to refer to as "Switchback Madness." Actually these are climbing turns, so no tough digging required, but it doesn't have that cool sound to it. It will be a unique and fun piece of trail to ride, add some nice distance, and the build time / ride time ratio should be very favorable!

After switchback madness, we will skirt the hillside a short distance, do a small climb and then make contact with the unfinished loop on the south trail. The entire section is flagged and ready to build.

Backing up for a minute, Linkpin still needs a lot of work before it is rideable. There are 2 true switchback turns that need more shaping, and 4 drainage areas that stay wet and need bridges or turnpikes installed. There will probably be several turns that need some berms or better shaping. The climb up from Genzer Creek is a very tough build, and its going to be tough riding as well. The grade is pushing the max sustainable limit and then there are sections where the tread is both rocky and narrow. Beginners and even some intermediate riders will have to walk, but I have no doubt that it will make a better rider out of just about everyone that attempts it. The rewards will be good, immediately after you descent into a long S turn and then onto some flowly ridgeline, then down switchback madness, all with very minimal pedaling. For that matter, the next 2 miles of trail will either be flowly or descent, with only a few short climbs.

The excitement about this trail is really starting to grow. Those who come out to the next few build days are going to see some new trail that will really make you salivate over! The next 2 build days are on the NWTA calendar: March 2nd and April 6th

Stub Stewart XC trail progress update-c360_2013-02-02-15-29-53-1.jpg
    unfinished switchback up the Genzer Creek climb

Too Much Fun

Good job! Thank you!

Thanks for the update and more importantly for the amazing amount of work that's been going into Stub Stewart. I confess I haven't been out there yet, but I intend to get in a ride soon and hopefully make a build day.

Huge thanks. Inspiring stuff.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member

Re: Stub Stewart XC trail progress update

Excellent, thanks for the update! I've been itching for some more mileage in there. Will the south trail be Mtb only?

Great job on the downhill trails, too. I like what I see on the new lower section past the double track. Coming along nicely.

I did want to add, some modification to drip torch would make it much more flowier. On the gap jump just after the short wood bridge, the landing could use some work. I know there are trees in the way, and maybe that's the limitation, but it could use a berm both on the left outer edge of the landing, and also on the left hand turn through the trees coming right out of the landing.

I'm gonna try to make a work party, maybe I can show you what I mean.

Thanks for the hard work!

Obviously Single
    Great update, Rob, and nice work!

I encourage anybody that wants to give back to the trails to join one of the two work days he mentioned.

In addition, if you might be interested in giving back to the trails by being a National Mountain Bike Patroller, NWTA is looking for more Patrollers for the Bike Patrol we started out there last year.

If interested in this Patrol (or the one we have at Hagg Lake), please contact patrol@nw-trail.org for more information.

Dang, I'm ready to ride now!
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    FYI, someone cut out the plastic sign at the entrance to the bike area. Gonna need a new one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    FYI, the XC trail and the Freeride area are pretty much built and maintained by two different groups(some volunteers work on both). Thanks for the input, it is always helpful to hear what people think of the trails. The sign has already been noted, and I will try to remember to pass on the other info at the next build day. For anyone interested in info, build days or news on the freeride area, that information can be found at:
    Westside Trail Federation - Home
    or
    Westside Trail Federation-Facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    Will the south trail be Mtb only?
    Westside Trail Federation is group building out the Freeride trails, and Northwest Trail Alliance is group building out the XC/AM trails. Both of these projects are within the "mountain bike area" of park which *is* mountain bike only!

There's 15+ miles of shared-use trail within Stub Stewart State Park as well. With campsites for RV hookups and cabins with electricity.

On April 6th work party, I hope we have a scene that looks like this (but in the woods on trail and with lots of mountain bikers with bikes...):

Stub Stewart XC trail progress update-640px-the_last_spike_1869.jpg
    Last edited by joer; 02-27-2013 at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member

Our "golden spike" moment is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    Will the south trail be Mtb only?
    Westside Trail Federation is group building out the Freeride trails, and Northwest Trail Alliance is group building out the XC/AM trails. Both of these projects are within the "mountain bike area" of park which *is* mountain bike only!

There's 15+ miles of shared-use trail within Stub Stewart State Park as well. With campsites for RV hookups and cabins with electricity.

On April 6th work party, I hope we have a scene that looks like this (but in the woods on trail and with lots of mountain bikers with bikes...):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	640px-The_Last_Spike_1869.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	776065

mtbr member
    Trail should be dry and Looks like the rain should hold off until afternoon, so definitely bring a bike. We will need to do some test riding for sure, and I just got word that a Brown trck dropped off a big box at my door, so I will be getting some ride time in after! Wrench time when I get home!

I hope to do the first ever ride from N to S in April, but being so close I might just carry my bike the short distance across and enjoy that 2 miles without having to do 500' of climbing first. April will still be the first true ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Gonna be awesome. Y'all do good work.