mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Stub Stewart XC trail

Any information on when Stub Stewart will open up its full length XC trail again?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Is it closed? I'd also like to know. It seems unexpectedly difficult to find info and maps on Stub considering it's a state park so close to town. Are there master plans to increase the XC trail mileage out there? I'll be in Portland this weekend and I've never been there, how is the riding overall? How much is real singletrack vs. wide horse trails? Worth the relatively short drive from the west side of town?

mtbr member
    The closure for the bridge crossing was supposed to be completed by 5/1, however the most recent NWTA update said it would be closed WELL into May. I was out there yesterday, and while the trail was closed I watched a lot of people just walk through ( I guess workers are only on weekends at this point). I must throw my opinion, The bridges they are constructing are way over the top and take away from the riding at Stub. These look to be about 30ft long, 4ft wide, and 10ft off the ground. Unnecessarily massive and causing long trail closure.

As to the question of singletrack... I want to say they quote 15 miles of singletrack somewhere but I usually ride 6-10 miles covering most or all of it, and the only part not singletrack is the climb back up hares canyon.

Where are you going to be staying in Portland? If you're looking for westside riding I'd recommend The Wilson River Trail (come prepared for endless climbing) Wilson River Trail Mountain Bike Trail, Banks, Oregon

If not just looking for westside, I'd say go out to Post Canyon in Hood river. My personal favorite spot but a little further drive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Great thanks. I can't find updates anywhere on the Stub closures either. For a state park with 10-15 miles of singletrack close to Portland, there sure seems to be very little information or online chatter about it (the state park website is terrible and MTBProject info is weak).

Thanks for the head's up on WRT. I've ridden that one before - great ride. Don't think I'll have time to make it out to Post Canyon. Not to hijack the thread, but any update on Brown's Camp conditions? There was a post on MTBProject 4/3/16 about logging closures.

mtbr member
    Brown's got logged out up top and that part is closed. You can pick up the trail further up the road but really not worth the effort until the logging ends. I can't stand WRT, reminds me of 3 corner rock - uphill both ways!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!