Please be on the lookout for an unusual Surly Karate Monkey, which was stolen from the side of my house this morning (Wed, 1/30). Those of you who attended the All Comers Meat a couple weeks ago would have seen me riding this bike there. This has been my regular commuter bike for several years (and 7000 miles) and has a number of distinctive features:
- LOTS of reflective tape all over the frame and fork.
- Nokian studded tires front and rear.
- Dirt drop handlebars (On-One Midge) with reflective bar tape.
- Has a bar end shifter installed, but currently set up as a single speed.
- Titanico An-Atomico old fashioned style leather saddle: like Brooks, but with a center cutout.
- Avid mechanical disc brakes.
- High power halogen homebrew light system with frame mounted LED running lights.
- Chariot Sidecarrier (sidecar child trailer) mount attached to the bottom bracket, protruding forward.
The current setup is very similar to what is shown in the photos. The bike is campstove green in color. It had only been sitting outside for a few minutes when someone threw it in the back of their pickup and drove off. If you see an older pickup with a bike and possibly gardening supplies/debris in the back, check to see if the bike is mine!
Full specs, as stolen:
- Frame/fork: 2003 Surly KM 16" (S), Camp Stove Green, serial number M3031120, heavily covered with red and silver DOT reflective tape.
- Headset: Chris King, red anodized.
- Handlebar/Stem: On-one Midge, Cinelli Lux reflective bar tape, Profile Design 50mm stem.
- Brakes/levers: Dia-Compe 287-V, Avid BB7, 185mm.
- Shifter: Ultegra bar-end, rear only, not currently connected to anything. No derailer or (contrary to photo) clickbox currently on the bike.
- BB/cranks/rings/pedals: UN-52, vintage 1991 Shimano DX 175mm, 34t Surly, 38t black Salsa, black ATAC Alium.
- Saddle/seatpost: mahogany Titanico An-Atomico, FSA SL-220.
- Front wheel/tire: DT Onyx/Salsa Delgado-X, Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 700x45.
- Rear wheel/tire (differs from photo): Shimano XT/Salsa Delgado-X, Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 700x35.
- Headlight system: homebrew halogen with MR-16 30W bulb in chrome fixture and large NiMH battery in CageRocket.
- Running lights: LED side marker lights (2 amber front, 2 red rear) with small NiMH battery in camera case.
- Accessories: SKS Shockboard and X-Blade fenders, Cateye Enduro 2 computer, small red underseat bag, Cateye BC-100 bottle cages, Mirrycle mirror, Specialized PVO pump, Chariot Sidecarrier trailer mount.
Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups
Results 1 to 10 of 10