highly visible

STOLEN in Portland:ugly Karate Monkey w/ drop bars+stud tires, possibly in pickup bed

Please be on the lookout for an unusual Surly Karate Monkey, which was stolen from the side of my house this morning (Wed, 1/30). Those of you who attended the All Comers Meat a couple weeks ago would have seen me riding this bike there. This has been my regular commuter bike for several years (and 7000 miles) and has a number of distinctive features:

• LOTS of reflective tape all over the frame and fork.
    • Nokian studded tires front and rear.
    • Dirt drop handlebars (On-One Midge) with reflective bar tape.
    • Has a bar end shifter installed, but currently set up as a single speed.
    • Titanico An-Atomico old fashioned style leather saddle: like Brooks, but with a center cutout.
    • Avid mechanical disc brakes.
    • High power halogen homebrew light system with frame mounted LED running lights.
    • Chariot Sidecarrier (sidecar child trailer) mount attached to the bottom bracket, protruding forward.

The current setup is very similar to what is shown in the photos. The bike is campstove green in color. It had only been sitting outside for a few minutes when someone threw it in the back of their pickup and drove off. If you see an older pickup with a bike and possibly gardening supplies/debris in the back, check to see if the bike is mine!

Full specs, as stolen:
    • Frame/fork: 2003 Surly KM 16" (S), Camp Stove Green, serial number M3031120, heavily covered with red and silver DOT reflective tape.
    • Headset: Chris King, red anodized.
    • Handlebar/Stem: On-one Midge, Cinelli Lux reflective bar tape, Profile Design 50mm stem.
    • Brakes/levers: Dia-Compe 287-V, Avid BB7, 185mm.
    • Shifter: Ultegra bar-end, rear only, not currently connected to anything. No derailer or (contrary to photo) clickbox currently on the bike.
    • BB/cranks/rings/pedals: UN-52, vintage 1991 Shimano DX 175mm, 34t Surly, 38t black Salsa, black ATAC Alium.
    • Saddle/seatpost: mahogany Titanico An-Atomico, FSA SL-220.
    • Front wheel/tire: DT Onyx/Salsa Delgado-X, Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 700x45.
    • Rear wheel/tire (differs from photo): Shimano XT/Salsa Delgado-X, Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 700x35.
    • Headlight system: homebrew halogen with MR-16 30W bulb in chrome fixture and large NiMH battery in CageRocket.
    • Running lights: LED side marker lights (2 amber front, 2 red rear) with small NiMH battery in camera case.
    • Accessories: SKS Shockboard and X-Blade fenders, Cateye Enduro 2 computer, small red underseat bag, Cateye BC-100 bottle cages, Mirrycle mirror, Specialized PVO pump, Chariot Sidecarrier trailer mount.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 01-31-2008 at 12:39 AM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Aww man Dan. That's terrible. I'll be on the lookout for it for sure. Good luck.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Known Mountainbiker
    So, are there lowjacks for bicycles yet? With some higher valued bikes getting stolen; it almost seems worth it.

Sorry about your loss Dan, and I'm sorry to tell you that I was admiring your saddle at ACM. It may have been my beer goggles.

Bummer.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

meatier showers
    You sure it was a pickup and not a blue Hummer?

That's a raw deal, Dan. I'm sure the tragic misfortune of your not having a readily available handgun is not lost on you.

Joking people, joking. Lighten up, okay?

Dan, this is the very reason God invented homeowner's insurance.

--Sparty

P.S. Curious... what does Jaybo drive?

Joking Jaybo, joking.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    --Sparty

P.S. Curious... what does Jaybo drive?

[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]
    WWJD?

Singletrack Addict
    Sorry about your loss GB.
    I'll keep my eyes open.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That is a unique KM. I'll keep my eyes open.

Joe
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    I'll keep my eyes open.
    It's always hard losing a bike.
    Especially one as unique as that.

I've seen you around on it once or twice. I always took a triple take when I see that thing.

Cheers

PS: We should ride sometime. I'm always looking for new people to carpool and ride with. I'm out in Beaverton, and am itching to ride.
    Last edited by offroadfanatic; 01-31-2008 at 01:10 AM.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    WWJD?
    LOL!
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

A 96 NIssan PU with 221,000 miles

I hate cars! A total waste of money but needed. I guess I have a love/hate relationship with cars. I like the WWJD. My truck runs like top.

Too bad about your Karate Monkey. Damn meth addicts! They would steal their mama's if they thought they could sell them. Cruise Craigslist for your bike....meth heads are not too smart....

Jaybo