Thread: Stolen bike

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004

Stolen bike

Hey everyone,

A customer of mine, who just received his bike a few days ago had has bike stolen from atop his car at a cafe on 6th and High in Eugene. If you see it, please contact me and the police.

It's a titanium, belt drive commuter bike with an eccentric bottom bracket and a very long head tube (205mm) with about a 45mm head tube extension. The bike is roughly a 60cm ST with a 57cm ETT. Unfortunately I hadn't yet stamped a serial in the shell (my priority was finishing and building it up for Cycle Oregon) but it should be an extremely identifiable frame because of the HT extension and most obviously the style of break for the belt drive in the drive side seat stay.

Currently, there's a blue anodized head tube logo and black Vertigo decals on the down tube.

the bike just after it was assembled

why aren't my tomatoes ripe? by VertigoCycles, on Flickr

the break looks like this with a suble line above the dropout (this isn't the stolen bike)

Vertigo-Cycles-1376 by VertigoCycles, on Flickr

Thanks for keeping a lookout everyone

Sean Chaney
    503 347 84 seven three

edit: this bike also has curved seat and chainstay bridges that have 5x.8mm threaded bosses welded in. to my knowledge, there are very few ti frames that use curved bridges and even fewer that accommodate fenders.

If a Rohloff with a belt drive cog turns up, please let me know. I'll post the serial number here as soon as I find the paperwork

-----------------------------------------
    at the same time a Serotta ti/carbon bike was stolen. I'll update the details when I get them. I repaired this bike last year. On the left chainstay, there's a very small patch where the tire rubbed a hole through the tube. It's blended very well but when the wheel is off, there's a very slight ripple in the tube.
    Last edited by smudge; 09-10-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thats too bad! I like that belt drive feature.. Never seen that before! I have had a couple bikes stolen as well.. blows!

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004

follow up

after almost exactly one year, this bike has been recovered by the Eugene police.

Someone called me a few weeks ago asking about the bike stating that someone was trying to sell it to him and that it was in his garage. Thankfully, he agreed to hold on to it until details were resolved with the former owner (currently in NC), the ins. company (the current owner) and the police. An arrest was made and the bike should find its way to its rightful owner very shortly.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    after almost exactly one year, this bike has been recovered by the Eugene police.

Someone called me a few weeks ago asking about the bike stating that someone was trying to sell it to him and that it was in his garage. Thankfully, he agreed to hold on to it until details were resolved with the former owner (currently in NC), the ins. company (the current owner) and the police. An arrest was made and the bike should find its way to its rightful owner very shortly.
    Awesome news Sean!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post

Way to take care of your customer! You sir, kickass!