mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Stolen in Bend 2006 Specialized FSR Pro Modified & 2010 Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29er

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]We are visiting from California for the first time. Had a greatday riding with Cog Wild yesterday!.....then we stopped for a beer at 10 Barrel Brewing. We parked in themain parking lot and had our bikes locked to the car rack with a heavy cablelook that was locked to the steel loop on the hitch receiver on the car. We thought it would safebecause there were a ton of people and bikes there at 10 Barrel. The theftoccurred sometime between 6:30 and 7:30pm. The heavy cable was cut“professionally” – the thieves must have had some stout bolt / cable cutters. [SIZE=3]We’rehere until Thursday morning July 3rd. Here is a description of each bike.

2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro: Color: flatblack, Very uniquebecause it had the following aftermarket components: “Cromag” Blueanodized Seat Clamp, Bars & Stem.“Cromag”Moon Seat in Blue/Black, GravityDropper Seat Post, New Continentalbrand “X-King” 26-inch tires>

2010 Gary Fisher / Trek Hi Fi Pro: 29er, Serialnumber is 176G0343F, Color:white with black and blue accents, Oneaftermarket feature: “Gravity Dropper” with lever switch on bars, Kenda Nevegal tires.
    [/SIZE]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stolen in Bend 2006 Specialized FSR Pro Modified & 2010 Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29er-kundich-gary-fisher-02.jpg  

Stolen in Bend 2006 Specialized FSR Pro Modified & 2010 Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29er-kundich-sj-fsr-pro-01.jpg  

Stolen in Bend 2006 Specialized FSR Pro Modified & 2010 Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29er-kundich-sj-fsr-pro-02.jpg  

Stolen in Bend 2006 Specialized FSR Pro Modified & 2010 Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29er-kundich-sj-fsr-pro-03.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Afric Pepperbird
    That sucks!

Did you check with 10 Barrel and the other building across the lot, to see if they have cameras on the lot? I'm sure someone must!

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear this. I hate thieves!

And thanks for posting. I've regularly done the exact same thing with my bikes, i.e. lock up with a couple cables and have a couple beers at random places after a ride. I guess I won't be doing that again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yes, put the fear of god into me. Done a lot of "locking it to the rack with a cable while I get a beer" thing. I always apprecaite when these posts tell us how the bike was locked up. Really hope you get them back!!!!

mtbr member
    In the small 10 barrel lot while still light out? Man I need to get some better locks.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Of all the sick bikes that make their way through 10-B's parking lot on a several-times-per-day basis, thieves deployed the heavy artillery bolt cutters to steal those things!? Stupid criminals: A felony is a felony, so at least go for some high end product. Oh, no offense to the victim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erika's Brother View Post
    Of all the sick bikes that make their way through 10-B's parking lot on a several-times-per-day basis, thieves deployed the heavy artillery bolt cutters to steal those things!? Stupid criminals: A felony is a felony, so at least go for some high end product. Oh, no offense to the victim.
    Hey get off the computer/phone and enjoy France!
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Sorry this happened to you, thieves suck.

Cables are pretty much useless. I've seen heavy duty bolt cutters cut U-Locks.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I did no cameras on either building.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    We did. No cameras on either building. Manager at 10 Barrel was very helpful in contacting police.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hey no offense taken.........but being ripped off $7k worth of bikes sucks......not to mention I took the time to build up my specialized and make it mine.....not something off the shelf.......anyway..........

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Bummer...live close to there, sorry for your loss.

Think I'll keep my Honda Element where I keep the bikes inside the car.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Think I'll keep my Honda Element where I keep the bikes inside the car.
    I wish keeping bikes inside a car was a silver bullet against thieves, but sadly plenty of stories floating around of people having their bikes stolen out of their cars, not to mention all the recent trailhead car break ins lately.

Plus side to storing inside the car is that they are more out of sight. Negative is that it's an easy smash and grab, unless you have a way to lock the bike to something inside the car like the attachment points in the floor for a folding seat.

COTA member
    Another tip: don't leave your car outside your home. Thief gets inside car, uses the garage door opener and has access to everything in garage including bicycles. I park car inside garage and do lock my bikes inside the garage.

mtbr member
    And to go one step further, no matter where you park don't leave a garage door opener or house keys in your vehicle along with registration, insurance card, or anything else that has your address.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What a ******** comment. Oh, no offense.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Agree, what a lame comment....no offense .....7k of bikes stolen......

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It sucks when our bikes get taken from us, it's about as bad as having your car towed.

People, if you are going to spend as much as we do on our MTB's, spend the extra $140'ish and get you bike chipped so that it can be located if unfortunately taken!

There are currently 4 GPS chips specifically for tracking bikes available on the market. These chips work with your smart phone to alert you to your bike being moved more than 3m.

I've had bikes stolen in the past, and it's infuriating to no end. I found out about bike GPS tracking not to long ago and bought into it. Now when I lock up my bike, I'm not thinking in the back of my mind about my bike being stolen. Since I can watch its movement in real time over my phones GPS and have the Officials go straight to its location, before I get there!
    Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    can some post a link to these tracking chips

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    You never know, might want to call in.

Gear Peddler tips police to theft ring

Freeride Recumbent
    Two Bend raids turn up pricey stolen bikes:
    Two Bend raids turn up pricey stolen bikes | News - Home

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Another reason why people need to GPS their expensive bikes.

Why buy a $3k bike and skimp on a $100 tracking chip?
    Happy Trails!