MattSavage

Step Creek Loop near Reehers Camp...

Anyone know if that loop has been completed?
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Obviously Single

Complete in what way?

Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    Hey Matt:

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same trail, but I think so ...

Last Summer tim_fsr and I joined an ODF work party on that trail. But the trail we worked on was "done", in that you could ride the whole thing. Stephanie (the volunteer coordinator at ODF) said she wanted to add more singled track, so maybe that's what you mean?

The trail we rode started right in camp, then across a bridge and left, which I think is Gales Creek trail. Then when we hit like the 2nd or 3rd road, we went left on the road to hit the top of the Step Creek trail. We rode that down and ended up running back into the Gales Creek trail we had just ridden up.

Much of that Step Creek trail is kind of wide, at least at the top, and that day that Tim and I worked on the trail we were replacing some wide stuff with single track.

I don't think any work has been done on that trail since then, but I'm not closely in touch with what trail work is done (since I'm more into patrolling than working on trail).
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    Hey Matt:

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same trail, but I think so ...
    I'm thinking of the last segment shown in yellow labeled "step creek loop" on this pdf... http://egov.oregon.gov/ODF/STATE_FOR..._StepCreek.pdf

Once that is completed and Gales Cr. opened back up, there will be alot of loop options to do around there.

MattSavage
    I'm thinking of the last segment shown in yellow labeled "step creek loop" on this pdf... http://egov.oregon.gov/ODF/STATE_FOR..._StepCreek.pdf

Once that is completed and Gales Cr. opened back up, there will be alot of loop options to do around there.

i wonder if we could propose another loop. One that would complete the Gales Cr./Reehers system.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...c1949be58442b7

troubled economist
    Hey MS--

Besides the WRT work parties sponsored by the ODF, there are a couple of Step Creek work parties scheduled as part of the monthly cycle of work parties.

I don't have the schedule in front of me, but I'll follow up w/ those days. The copy I have is a hard copy from the ODF, and all I can find on their website now is the 09 schedule.

mtbr member
    Sorry to highjack...

Why is ODF building new trail when they should be rebuilding the washed out section of Gales Creek. That is/was one of my favorite pieces of singletrack and it's been closed for way to long.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Obviously Single

Not yet

No, I don't _think_ that section is done yet ...
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Sorry to highjack...

Why is ODF building new trail when they should be rebuilding the washed out section of Gales Creek. That is/was one of my favorite pieces of singletrack and it's been closed for way to long.
    I agree...I have not considered riding at Browns & Gales Creek due to this "situation".Too much drive for the amount of trail left.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sorry to highjack...

Ya ya ya

mtbr member
    Sorry to highjack...

Must be too much damage to repair from the sounds of it.

I miss it too, a great trail/creek ride that could be ridden most of the year with mostly all fun descending coming back from top of Bell Camp Rd. Definitely a flowy trail ride that is well missed and one of the reasons I don't make it out to the wetside that often anymore.
    Ride On!

MattSavage
    I guess there's 21 sites over the 6 miles. 3 miles of it need to be relocated quite a ways up hill from the stream.

That being said, FEMA found there to be no significant impact with the project, environmentally or archeologically and gave the go ahead for it last October.

I think there's a timber sale planned on the upper part as well, thinning and topping. So that might be creating a conflict. But I think the management plan anticipated trail damage and subsequent enhancment afterwards. My theory is ODF will use the conditions of the sale to repair upper portions of the trail within the sale area and save FEMA funds for the rest or other improvements in the area. That's just speculation...

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I tried riding Step Creek last May and it was a mess, with lots of blowdown, etc, and have not been back yet. Seemed like it was more of a horse trail than for riding. It's still a great ride on Gales from Bellcamp Rd down to Reehers.