mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Stella needs your help

I know this is short notice but the Stella/Harmony trails need your help. Our little peaceful under the radar trail system has been getting some unwanted attention lately: angry neighbors rescinding parking privileges, someone placing tacks in the trails, stringing fishing lines across the trails. The tacks have resulted in a lot of flat tires and luckily the lines have not caused anyone to get hurt yet. But as a response we are planning a clean-up day this Sunday starting at 9am to show the responsible party that instead of making us leave it's just going to bring more of us out to clean up the mess. These trails have been built and maintained by a very small group and have been enjoyed by many many more. And now is time for the many to show their support and help us out. Show up this Sunday at 9am with a rake or broom or magnet on wheels (the tacks have a brass like appearance but are magnetic) and let's not only clean up the mess but get enough people out there to show those doing this that they shouldn't even bother.
    thanks for your support
    ken

meatier showers
    I've ridden Stella at least a dozen times and I love the place. I'd happily drive up to help save the trail network but weekend familial commitments prevent me from doing so. I hope others will come to Stella's aid. The place is so worth fighting for.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Where is Stellas?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter98 View Post
    Where is Stellas?
    im not positive but I think he is refering to stellas ridge in longview.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yes the Stella/ Harmony trail system in Lngview.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Thanks

We didn't have a huge flash mob but we did have a great group of about 14 who racked and drug magnets across the trails. We didn't find a lot more tacks but we cleared some barbed wire, rusty nails (probably not put there on purpose) and carpet tack strips painted with camo green paint and placed on a brown needle filled trail (they really stuck out). And while these things would not be a real problem for bike tires they could really hurt your trusty trail dog.
    I'd like to give a big thanks to those who showed up to help on such short notice, a cast of the usual suspects, And I know that the many others who use these trails and have never had an opportunity to help out probably couldn't get there on such notice. I promise to give plenty of notice for next time (and our main suspected saboteurs will be back in the woods next month for the extended hunting season).
    I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here but while you can argue the value about giving your money to the big clubs with paid people and lobbyist, most trail systems out there are built and or maintained by the people who ride them, even the ones on State and Federal lands,( it's not the hunters and hikers doing all the work) and as more and more people are out there riding: you're either part of the solution or part of the problem. So even if you have no idea where Stella is I bet there's a trail system you know of that needs your help and those connections will lead you to even more sweet hidden gems that just might not be on somebody's wiki. Who knows you might even find Stella. Looking forward to seeing ya.
    ken
    Last edited by tool addict; 10-10-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by tool addict View Post
    We didn't have a huge flash mob but we did have a great group of about 14 who racked and drug magnets across the trails. We didn't find a lot more tacks but we cleared some barbed wire, rusty nails (probably not put there on purpose) and carpet tack strips painted with camo green paint and placed on a brown needle filled trail (they really stuck out). And while these things would not be a real problem for bike tires they could really hurt your trusty trail dog.
    I'd like to give a big thanks to those who showed up to help on such short notice, a cast of the usual suspects, And I know that the many others who use these trails and have never had an opportunity to help out probably couldn't get there on such notice. I promise to give plenty of notice for next time (and our main suspected saboteurs will be back in the woods next month for the extended hunting season).
    I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here but while you can argue the value about giving your money to the big clubs with paid people and lobbyist, most trail systems out there are built and or maintained by the people who ride them, even the ones on State and Federal lands,( it's not the hunters and hikers doing all the work) and as more and more people are out there riding: you're either part of the solution or part of the problem. So even if you have no idea where Stella is I bet there's a trail system you know of that needs your help and those connections will lead you to even more sweet hidden gems that just might not be on somebody's wiki. Who knows you might even find Stella. Looking forward to seeing ya.
    ken
    Fourteen is pretty good on short notice.

I will be there next time.

It is a good idea to take pics of the traps before you remove them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Stella needs your help

To paraphrase the famous quote from the movie Field of Dreams , "If you build the trails,they will come.... and eventually F**K things up for everyone !

As one of the pioneer trail builders of the Stella trails, this reminder should be reiterated to keep us in good graces- the biggest help for ALL users to respect the
    No F(M)5 rule.

No F-Fires.That means no campouts,weenies roasts or Burning Man exhibits.

No Metal.These are working forest with merchantible trees.Metal in trees poses a safety concern for timber workers.Keep metal in your nose, nipple, or genital piercings and off our trails and their trees.

No Motorized. Running, hiking, pogo sticks and pedal biking is allowed.Unless otherwise noted ,internal combustion engines are not allowed.

No Midnight riding. A recent conversation with a timber rep and their accompanying booklets are clear as daylight " ALL PUBLIC ACCESS IS LIMITED TO ONE HOUR BEFORE SUNRISE TILL ONE HOUR AFTER SUNSET " Please plan your winter rides accordingly.

No Maps/Media. Locals are ALWAYS willing to show folks the trails.Don't bug people for maps,directions or GPS coordinates. Contact us and ride/ learn/respect the trails like we do.

No Medevacs. Speed kills along with Hubris.Ride within your ability. Nothing will ding us more than local timber managers having to open gates for ambulances or answering questions from Geraldo Rivera or Anderson Cooper about a search and rescue on their private timberlands !

Please heed this advise and we should be able to ride here forever. If the F(M)5 is too much hassle , then please ride somewhere else

Respectfully
    BM

highly visible
    Great work guys ... wish I could get up there to help.

One important point: if people are clotheslining anything across the trail you really should contact law enforcement. This is much more dangerous than tacks on the ground. Even fishing line could potentially be fatal if it caught someone at neck level at typical riding speeds. (Having once been hurt by a hard-to-see clothesline at thankfully very low speed going uphill and a few inches too low to catch my neck, I can attest to what happens when a rider's momentum pushes soft tissues into a thin immovable object.).
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

stella needs your help

A word to the wise.....

A large portion of "Haryu trails" (where recent adverse encounters have taken place) is on private land with signage stating no trespass or entry.

Please stay off the "Haryu trails" unless you have written consent.

Though I will never condone the recent adverse encounters, we can not condone willful disrespect for private property.

It is time to get Stella trails " off the radar screen" ( where it belongs ) and avoid anything resembling the Occupy Wall Street movement.

THAT will not help any biker who seeks continued access to Stella.

Moderator, feel free to remove Stella from Sticky Status at your convenience.

Respectfully
    BM