mtbr member

SSXC - Short Track Racing in PDX

I've been racing the PIR Short Track Series this summer. Last two races i was in Cat3 19+, and I feel I'm ready to move up to either Cat2 or Singlespeed. I know i wont do as well but I'd rather have more of a challenge.

I'm wondering if anyone else here is racing singlespeed on this course, as I'm looking for suggestions on gearing and tires. My 32x20 (29er) is just a bit too low, and even though i like to spin, I'm wondering what a better gear would be. My only nice (expensive ) tires are my mud tires, and I'm having trouble getting any sort of grip on the course with my nano raptors - it's like riding hardpack for part of the time, but there's also so much loose material and dust over top of it. I find trying to corner in any of the motocross course section is impossibly slow.

Any suggestions?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurry
    I've been racing the PIR Short Track Series this summer. Last two races i was in Cat3 19+, and I feel I'm ready to move up to either Cat2 or Singlespeed. I know i wont do as well but I'd rather have more of a challenge.

I'm wondering if anyone else here is racing singlespeed on this course, as I'm looking for suggestions on gearing and tires. My 32x20 (29er) is just a bit too low, and even though i like to spin, I'm wondering what a better gear would be. My only nice (expensive ) tires are my mud tires, and I'm having trouble getting any sort of grip on the course with my nano raptors - it's like riding hardpack for part of the time, but there's also so much loose material and dust over top of it. I find trying to corner in any of the motocross course section is impossibly slow.

Any suggestions?
    I did the Cat 1 19-34 race this past Monday. I was riding my FS 26er, and I must have bumped/turned my rebound knob all the way to "riding an angry bull". Because until I got the hang of the pump track sections, I thought I was going to get bucked off my bike.

Tires...I don't think anything will help in that material, honestly. If there's nothing to grab on to, nothing to penetrate down through and latch on to, what can you do? Turn the front wheel and pray. I tried to get in the shallow part of the moto ruts through the corners; on camber, and relatively dust-free.

Being a first year MTBer that's what I do on most courses anyways, but on a course this short, I think I actually turned my fastest laps towards the end as I got more and more used to the course. Well, until two laps to go, when I completely blew two turns because I couldn't see out of my glasses...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I ran my trail tires, Kenda Nevegals. They seem to do pretty well where there was hope of traction (good cornering and its predictable), but I agree with Le Duke that there are some places on the course that its so loose it won't matter. The real reason I ran these is that they are setup tubeless and it seems like more of a PITA to swam them out.

I'm i the same boat as you, did cat3 men first 2 races and cat2 19-35 yesterday.
    NW MTB Addict