mtbr member
    Oct 2004

SS gearing for Spring Thaw

Don't know if I will get any help here, but I thought I would try. I am going to be racing a 29er singlespeed at the Spring Thaw in Ashland this year. I have never done the course. I was told by another single speeder that I might want to run a hard gear ratio because there is like 8 miles of flat fire road spinning. As of now I am running a 34x20.

I guess my question is how steep are the climbs. Are people out there climbing it with anything harder than two to one?

Nate

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Actually there is about eleven miles of flat fire road spinning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The course is simple: long fireroad climb; long rolling stretch along the top of the watershed; another shorter climb or two; and then the descent back to town.

The initial climb is long, but not crazy steep, so running a bigger gear should be OK and will certainly help you on the middle section. This is viewed as a roadie course by many, some of whom skip it for that reason. If you're not in a group along the rolly middle section, you've missed out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Wow, thats a bummer

you guys are making it sound like its not even worth the trip up (I'm from Redding, CA). I personally don't like "roadie" courses, I like ones that test your skills as a mountain biker. Thanks for the info though, if I do it I will probably drop a gear or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    you guys are making it sound like its not even worth the trip up (I'm from Redding, CA). I personally don't like "roadie" courses, I like ones that test your skills as a mountain biker. Thanks for the info though, if I do it I will probably drop a gear or two.
    Do you remember the old Lemurian behind the Dam? Remember that long fast upper section of road? ST is similar in my mind, but no where near as technical.

I would run 2:1 if I were racing it, but I hardly ever race the SS cat and usually race the Pro/elite on my SS.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

2012 Race: April 28th!
    How's the snow up top? Will we be running thru lots of drifts?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    How's the snow up top? Will we be running thru lots of drifts?
    Not sure, I have not been down there this year.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would probably do a 2:1, or on the 29er a bit lower if I were to do this race again. But I won't. It's probably my least favorite course in Oregon. Climb for miles on fireroad. Ride along the top fireroad. Oh, wait.. is that some singletrack coming up? Wow, that was quick. Hey, where did it go? More fireroad? Here's some doubletrack. What's this pavement doing here? Oh.. i'm done. On a singlespeed add in the thought on the climb "Wow, I geared too hard" and on the top "Wow, i'm spinning out like mad." I'm staying home this weekend and riding something fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I think you just made up my mind.

I could use the $250 or so the I would spend going up there for the weekend. I think I will just stay home and ride something epic. Thanks!

How about the Return on the Jedi? Is that a good race?

mtbr member
    May 2006

First time riding the Spring Thas

I just completed the Lemurian and I'm signed up to do the Spring Thaw. Since I won't be able to preride the course, I was wondering if anyone can tell me how it compares in terms of technical sections. It sounds like most of the course isn't too hard, but the website makes the downhill sound difficult - similar to sections of Gas Can, Buck Hollow or the Couch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Return on the Jedi is a great race. Long fireroad climb with lots of singletrack.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Snow is the big question

I am a local and there should be plenty of snow on the 11 miles of fireroad up top (called the loop road). That means 4 or 5 or more 100' to 300' sections of walking. There is a slight chance that the loop road will be closed--but I don't think so---it has been 80 degrees all week.

This is by no means a roadie course--altough you do have to get in a pack for the loop road to go faster. Both Bend courses are way more of a roadie course.

The Horn Gap singletrack down is fun and not too technical (it is right after the loop road).

The final downhill section Hitt Road--is fast and technical and fairly long. There are 2 or 3 rock garden sections that are fun. I flatted a few years ago on the loop road and by the time I got to the loop road, I was passing roadies that were going half my speed. So--it is technical--again--way more technical than anythin in Bend.

I am doing SS for the first time at the Thaw this year. I normally run a 32:18 for everyday riding. I might switch to a 32:16--but that will really hurt on the first and very long climb. Most very good Expert and above riders can do the 32:16.

OregonMTB