mtbr member
    Mar 2007

SPSS #2 - Beware the (R)ides of March

The Portland United Mountain Pedalers would like to formally invite ya’ll out to Scappoose, Oregon for our 2nd annual springtime off-road ride and celebration of all things PUMP.

Building on the success from last year’s “Scrappy Scappy” ride, this year’s “(r)Ide’s of March” event is not to be missed. We’ve got an entirely new and sparkling (well, not really- it’s dirt after all) section of trail to play on, as well as a representative from Kona Bikes, who’ll be offering some of their fine new machines for demo. We’ll also be showcasing what figures to be an interesting mid-day time trial course, replete with a dizzy-bat section and other potential nausea-inducing course shortcut options. Though there may be some modest prizes awarded for completion of said course in timely fashion, this will be far from your typical competitive affair, and those disputing our judges rulings should expect to be attacked by rambunctious, unruly mobs and fed to the sasquatches that are rumored to roam the fringes of the trail system.

Like last year, we’ll also be offering a mid-ride snack buffet (of sorts) and other various refreshments. As this is Portland, we’ll try to maintain the spirit of our local traditions as much as possible and get some Stumptown grinds and exotic dancers out there as well (though we can’t necessarily guarantee anything related to the quality of entertainment and it’s entirely possible budgetary constraints will necessitate those dancers are beer-gutted, lycra-clad mountain bikers, so be warned.)

For those not familiar with the Scappoose trails, we really offer “something for everyone”, ranging from the twisty, flowing and relatively leisurely cross-country style, to gnarly and gut-wrenching technical drops and climbs. Those downhillers and free-riders among you may have to follow some directions from the locals, but should be able to find something to satisfy your needs as well. Also be aware that there will be ride groups of varying skill level, conditioning, genders and species (yes, there will even be a mangy, rabid and flea-infested group) offered, so if you’re concerned that you’ll have trouble keeping up, it’s likely that there’s a group tailored to your riding style. Though mostly lacking in rocks, the trails are really quite technical, with lots of short steep climbs, descents and challenging switchbacks, so if you’re a true beginner to the sport, this may not be the ride for you.

We'll be meeting at the Scappoose area Fred Meyer parking lot south of Hwy 30 (see map on flyer) at 10:00 am, depending on the showing we may move cars to the frontage road near Rocky Point and Hwy 30. We will then begin a leisurely two-mile ride to the trailhead. A festive, post-ride siege and overthrow of some local culinary establishment at a yet to be determined location will surely follow, and you can figure to be hungry/thirsty.

Feel free to contact PUMP via the PUMP Forums at www.pumpclub.org.

For directions, see map on flyer attached below!
    Attached Images Attached Images

meatier showers
    Will Jaybo be there?
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

DOD Member
    The poster inspired me to ask about the dress code. Are togas the uniform of the day? If so, I suggest they be the shorty variety to keep them out of the drive train.

Picture this, you are following your favorite Klydsdale wearing his shorty toga.....Just try to get that image out of your mind anytime soon.

I completely understand the warning "Beware the (r)Ides of March" now.
    MaxSteel

beautiful noise...

eeewww!!!

There are very few PUMPsters that I'd like to see in a toga Mr. Gould being one of them!!! FYI- Tomorrow is a PLANNING RIDE for this event so for those that are interested in volunteering (leading, sweeping, etc...) please show up (10am @ the gate). There's also another slotted for the 8th. We'll use these days to plan various routes and do minor trailwork. John, Dennis, Ted (CAMBA/PUMP), and myself got the bulk of it done but with recent winds and such there might be some more. Dennis has also been hard at work with his GPS trying to make some detailed maps for ride leaders, more to come on that... Hopefully Shane has been sitting on the couch all winter and I might be able to out-ride his azz for once
    [SIZE="4"]out- guy[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]what I do when I'm not riding...[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Toga, Toga, Toga! See you guys tomorrow!

Jordan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Will Jaybo be there?
    I'll see to it he shows up, but I may have to pull him away from a sporting event on the tube

JG
    Ride On!

AKA Frank N. Bike!!
    Is anyone from the Lebanon/Albany/Corvallis area going to be attending? I would love to carpool...
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    Is anyone from the Lebanon/Albany/Corvallis area going to be attending? I would love to carpool...
    Kona, I'm thinking of heading up there. You still looking for a co-pilot?

AKA Frank N. Bike!!
    I'll check my work schedule odds are I will have to work.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Est. 1971
    Jan 2004

any info on the trails?

What are the trails like out there? Will there be any technical trails or is this a smooth and buff affair?
    -Tim B
    Larry of the Swiss Alps

beautiful noise...
    Tim-

There's a little something for everyone in Scappoose! From fairly buffed to full on "launch yourself through space" free-ride stunts. Literally, there's beginner to organ-donor. Most of the stuff is "fairly twisty" and "kinda technical" with lots of roots and short (sometimes steep) descents and climbs. If you've ridden in the Stella or Growlers Gulch areas near Longview, WA or the Wypass area near Eugene then you might be able to get a general idea of the terrain. Basically, it's sustained harvest logging land that mountain bikers have built trails on. We'll break up into groups dependent on skill level/ability. Bring a bike, your gear, and some water and plan on having a blast regardless of skill level
    [SIZE="4"]out- guy[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]what I do when I'm not riding...[/SIZE]

Est. 1971
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by guyplaysbass
    Tim-

There's a little something for everyone in Scappoose! From fairly buffed to full on "launch yourself through space" free-ride stunts. Literally, there's beginner to organ-donor. Most of the stuff is "fairly twisty" and "kinda technical" with lots of roots and short (sometimes steep) descents and climbs. If you've ridden in the Stella or Growlers Gulch areas near Longview, WA or the Wypass area near Eugene then you might be able to get a general idea of the terrain. Basically, it's sustained harvest logging land that mountain bikers have built trails on. We'll break up into groups dependent on skill level/ability. Bring a bike, your gear, and some water and plan on having a blast regardless of skill level

Awesome, sign me up for the organ donor trails! After the last two weeks I'm itchin' to get the the Heckler on some tech stuff that isn't built on concrete.
    -Tim B
    Larry of the Swiss Alps

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I was planning to go...

youse guys have always showed up at HarmCon and I KNOW I owe ya. But, it came up that a fella at work in the navy reserve is getting ready to go to Eye Rack and I have to cover for him this weeeknd . So, I'm gonna be a know show, ya no? I promise to get to them Scappie trails soon, say, has anybody ridden them fixed????

bike ON
    bob
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

No way

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Will Jaybo be there?
    I am not driving an hour plus to ride Scapoop! I just can't find the love.

Jaybo

meatier showers
    The Scappy Scrappy kicked butt! WAY glad I went. Great hangin' with y'all and putting some more faces* to names. Didn't encounter a single downer cow the whole day. Post-ride gathering at Ixtapa for Mexi vittles & margaritas was likewise a hoot.

Thanks for puttin' 'er on, PUMPers.

--Davey/Sparty

*I said faces, not feces.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

I got nothin'

A great day!

Sparty,

It was good ridding with ya. I'm still finding mud in places. Not quite up to Whypass mud standards, but fun none the less. I did'nt get a chance to see the patio umbrella in action, maybe next time.

Last year was good but this year there was mud, tequilla, the State Police, a fun crit, and free rides on new Knoa bikes.

P.S. Stevil's ankle is doing better.
    I ride at ludicrous speed