Tree Hugger

Spring Training- the test run

This weekend, a few Disciples went out to explore an unassuming trail network that has been hiding in plain sight for years. Ocean side trails are rare in Oregon, so we figured the stellar descriptions we'd been fed about this stash were a trick to drag us out of town to slog through some cold Oregon mud.

I am pleased to report that we were wrong.
    We knocked out a Sunset night ride, camping, and a gorgeous sunny day of great riding on some incredible trails. While these trails weren't built for bikes, we definitely enjoyed them. The main trail users were no where to be seen, and we enjoyed a peaceful day railing the trails.

More info may be revealed in coming weeks..... Maybe!

Thanks to Jollybeggar for the guide service!

Here are some photos of the spring training exploratory ride weekend.

Last edited by Sasquatch; 03-02-2008 at 10:36 PM.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Tree Hugger
    More photos

I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

meatier showers

Greatness

Great trails, peeps, times. And great photos, Matt. I especially like this one:

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Light freak
    Awesome pictures Matt! Looks like you guys found a great one. Alright Al, how in the world did you manage that? That is a new one, never seen that before.

It is finally starting to feel a little like spring here in CO. A buddy and me did two 5:30 am before work rides last week, it was a balmy 34 degrees and the trails where pretty iced over. But it was riding! We had a 74 degree high on Saturday, broke a record. Went for an urban assault night ride for a couple of hours Saturday night, was about 60 degrees at 10 pm. Woke up Sunday morning to howling winds and a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Forty degree difference in the high temperature between the two days. It is definately getting to be spring in Colorado.

Making fat cool since '71
    Good shots 'Squat. It was a mere 54 degrees and sunny all day while riding FallCrik yesterday. Lots of trees down. While catching my breath (that elusive bassturd) on "top" it looked like Winberry would be reachable, I don't know if it's rideable though.

Good trails Jolly! Thanks for looking out for my DOD bro's and sistern. I expect a personal tour soon.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member

Glad you liked it

I want to thank Albee for rounding up the D.O.D crew for a ride over here (perfect weather) and I'm really sorry about your unfortunate bike troubles. I've been wanting to show off our beautiful local trails, I really enjoyed riding with you guys and I hope you'll come back soon. Great photos Matt as usual, man that sunset was something to see!
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Known Mountainbiker
    Sorry I missed this one (a little). I know I had said that I'd go but.....instead I took Di up to the white stuff and we enjoyed the the 8 inches of fresh powder and no lines. Then on Sunday I took Joel, the cat 2 roadie birthday boy to the trail that's about a half hour south of Cantellia Falls Trail and, well, he really enjoyed his new SS 29r. Plan on seeing him a lot more.

Really glad all y'all had good weather and a good time.

Caz

P.S. Spring Training Riding or Spring Training Tequila Drinking?
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Great group, great times!! Glad all y'all were there.

Spring is springing, flowers are blooming....and crank bolts are snapping...

But it was a great time, even walking my bike for a couple of uphill miles. Boy, we sure hit the weather window, didn't we?

OK, dress rehearsal went well. We even figured out a couple ways to make it better next year:

1. That other camping area, more spacious, exposed (great in good weather) and more flat ground.
    2. You cheap b@stards need to put some loose change and small bills in my guitar case.

Albino

p.s. Get better, Mudflaps!!

High Speed Botanist

Great weekend all...

Thanks to our guides and good company. The photos are great, you documented the whole weekend. Great trails, amazing weather, we got lucky with this one.

Spring Training for riding and tequila and beer and wine.....

Also, those light kits from Scar worked damn good, so light and bright, may have to get one someday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Spring - ! :)

Lots to love over at the Horse Trails. Great riding w/ not a soul around. Good sight lines. Great fire and festivities. Thanks for everything.
    Steve

mtbr member

Thanks Albee

Quote Originally Posted by Albee
    Great group, great times!! Glad all y'all were there.

Spring is springing, flowers are blooming....and crank bolts are snapping...

But it was a great time, even walking my bike for a couple of uphill miles. Boy, we sure hit the weather window, didn't we?

OK, dress rehearsal went well. We even figured out a couple ways to make it better next year:

1. That other camping area, more spacious, exposed (great in good weather) and more flat ground.
    2. You cheap b@stards need to put some loose change and small bills in my guitar case.

Albino

p.s. Get better, Mudflaps!!
    Probably should have had more of the Vitamin T to chase the bugs away as Dr Davey recommended. Of course I could have stayed home where it was warm and boring, but naahhh!
    We did luck out on the weather big time! Ya never knows what you'll get in the spring in Oregon. We hit the lottery!
    Good to see all these good friends again. It's been a while and it seems too durned long.
    Flaps
    P.S. I am beginnning to feel somewhat human -

mtbr member

Scar Lights?

"Also, those light kits from Scar worked damn good, so light and bright, may have to get one someday."

How does one acquire those cool light kits? I was very impressed.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Light freak
    I fell like an internet stalker as I have been spending more time on the Oregon message board than I have my own Colorado message board. I just feel the need to read about the great camaraderie and riding that is going on up there, a guy can dream can't he.

jollybeggar - Hello, my name is Jay and I am the creator of the Ameoba light. You can find an ongoing thread concerning the Amoeba to give you some different configurations available here ~1000 lumens helmet mounted
    You can PM me thru MTBR and we can start a conversation regarding what type of light you would like.

mtbr member
    it is killing me that i can't see these pics. darn firewall!
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

mtbr member

You need a bigger blowtorch MTNgirl....

Quote Originally Posted by MTNgirl
    it is killing me that i can't see these pics. darn firewall!
    So you can burn down that firewall. Is it a work thing? I know one of our locals has a firewall at his work that doesn't allow him to see the pics that are hosted on other sites and referenced through MTBR, (as I know Sas's pics are done). If it's on a home computer, disable the firewall while viewing MTBR.
    Flaps